“Helpful staff” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Helpful staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Family issues brought us to Bethesda for an open-ended stay at the Hyatt, which we chose because it's right next to the Metro (and we had a bad experience at another hotel close to the Metro--see our other review a few years ago). When we mentioned our reason for our stay on registration, the front desk clerk offered to install a refrigerator in our room, which was very helpful as the days wore on.

Our main complaint at the Hyatt is the poor lighting in most rooms, which has left us groping in the dark to find a lamp when there is no light switch near the door. But we'll be back, it's the most comfortable, convenient place we have found n Bethesda.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. I arrived fairly late, around 10 pm, and quickly gained access to my room. It was mediocre, with stains on the carpet, worn furniture, terrible cable (analog to boot), and the smell of cleaner still in the room. It burned my eyes for several hours, but it was late and I just crashed. My rate included continental breakfast, which was mediocre, on a par with two star places (i.e. Embassy Suites breakfasts are head and shoulders above this place.) I did not receive the promised newspaper, as my Hyatt status promises, and my bill was in error--it took 20 minutes to sort it out, and it was still not right. The hotel clerk asked how my stay was, and I said, "mediocre." The response was, and this is fully accurate, "at least it wasn't terrible." And that about says it all. There are many better places to stay, even in this neighborhood, and until there is a renovation in the rooms and the attitude of the staff, I cannot recommend this property in any way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I love this hotel! I've stayed here a few times, but most recently in January 2013 for 1 night. We stayed in the King Terrace, if you stay here that is the room to stay in! Price isn't much more then a regular room, you get all the space, and a terrace with an awesome view! The staff is so kind and welcoming. We were having a girls night and had asked ahead of time for a DVD player so we could watch 80's movies late at night and they were sure to have it all set up before we checked in. Definetly stop into the indoor pool upstairs, there is something just so relaxing about it. The location is right at a metro stop so if you want to go into DC you are only a few metro stops away, you still get the "city" feel, but without the craziness of DC directly.
Now, if you are looking for super fancy, all the bells and whistles, this hotel is a little older, but I love the feel, I love the client service, and you must try the waffles from room service with strawberry's yum!!!!!!! see you all again in the spring!

All my best!

Room Tip: King Terrace!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here during the Presidential Inauguration. No problems with the rooms or service. Bed was comfortable and the shower had hot water! I took a dip in the pool on the 12th floor and it was hotter than the hot tub! I did not have access to Wi-Fi in the room and was told that I could access in the lobby, which was an inconvience for me. The hotel sits on top of the Metro/Bethesda station. We took an easy trip into DC. There were some nice bars/eateries close to the hotel. I would stay here again if I had the chance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently on an overnight business trip. The hotel staff is very friendly and the bar was decent. Overall, I imagine this hotel was beautiful and at the top of its game....20 years ago. This brand is very hit or miss and I felt like the cleanliness, rooms, decor in this hotel really needs an update.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel from 10-26-2012 to 10-28-2012 in deluxe room. Firstly I feel hotel was prized at very high rate against the amenities in the room. There were no Microwave, Fridge or safe in the hotel deluxe room. I don't remember exactly but I guess there is no free breakfast as well!!!

At the arrival we were asked to pay additional $15/night parking charge in hotel's basement parking. upon asking for explanation I was told that it is public parking and is shared by metro train parking as well, then receptionist (both of them) mockingly told me that there are free parking places 2 blocks from hotel. I mean if I pay more then $100/night for a room I expect at least a free parking or some good behavior.

Also I learned that hotel has no Jacuzzi and pool area is closed after 10:00 PM. I booked this reservation from hyatt.com and no such information regarding additional charge for parking/pool timings provided on reservation website.

I visited Washington DC first time and when I asked for some good visiting places the lady at reception was blunt and was not helpful at-all. Comm'on, Washington dc is merely 15 min drive and they do not care to tell tourist what all good places/monuments to visit, anyways I had my good homework on that so I do not really care if they helped me or not!!!

During our visit, there was some student conference going on and the lobby/lift and breakfast places were too over crowded.

Room Tip: Book room in some other hotel!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank Vishesh V
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest!

Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay with us.
I apologize for the fact that the hotel's amenities did not meet your expectations and I wished your stay was more exceptional. As we strive to provide great customer service, I hope that you give us another chance and let us prove that our guests' satisfaction is top priority.

Best Regards,
Konstancja
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our family stayed at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda for a wedding. The location is great, right next to the Metro. We cannot say enough about the wonderful, helpful, friendly, attentive staff - doormen, front desk, housekeeping, every employee we met. The hotel is very clean and housekeeping is quick to respond to any request. We ate a few times in the hotel restaurant and were very pleased with both the quality and various offerings on the menu. The hotel is currently a little dated and worn, but we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC / Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott
Bethesda Marriott
#7 of 11 in Bethesda
3.5 of 5 stars 434 reviews

Been to Hyatt Regency Bethesda? Share your experiences!