“Friendly for the start and great location”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Friendliness and great service hard to find combined, and I found it here. From the Bell men to the receptionist to accommodate my request. Room impeccable.
The location couldn't be better, few steps from the Bethesta Metro.
Restaurants around the area for every taste and every budget.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,773)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Hyatt Regency in Bethesda has several great things going for it. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and quiet. The staff was pleasant. But above all, the location was tops for Bethesda. The hotel is right next to a red line metro stop and is within walking distance of restaurants, shops, and a movie theater. I used to live in DC, so I know the area pretty well, and I would definitely stay here again. I can't comment on value, because it was a work sponsored trip, so I never saw the room bill. I also didn't breakfast at the hotel, so I'm not sure about the food, but there is a (pricey) steak place on the premises, so guests won't starve. The workout room was small, without much equipment, which was probably the main detractor.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Positives
+ The staff was universally friendly and helpful, from the doorman to the front desk and in between
+ The food at Morton's (steakhouse in the hotel) and from room service was quite good
+ The proximity to the Bethesda Metro stop and to the National Institutes of Health make it the best-situated hotel in Bethesda

Negatives
- Slightly scruffy room: chipped / gouged nightstand, stain on comforter, baggage skidmarks on one wall, one half of windo drape set didn't work
- High-priced, under-powered WiFi. The provider cut off my access, saying I was doing a "massive download that had made the hotel's system unstable." In reality, I was just reading my email

Bottom Line
-I'll probably stay there again due to its proximity to NIH, but I won't be doing cartwheels about the prospect.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Have stayed here many times. The rooms are comfortable and good sized. Having Morton's and the daily grill for restaurants is an advantage, but a bit pricy. Many other good places to eat nearby. Service has always been pleasant. Location is very convenient to the Metro and to nearby Bethesda restaurants. the large atrium does increase ambient noise somewhat but it has never been a big problem. Rooms are a bit dated and starting to feel slightly run down.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the main street will be quieter. Rooms not directly on the atrium will be quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My mother booked this hotel without consulting Trip Advisor, so needless to say, I did not have high hopes for this place. When I drove up to it, it just looked shabby. Half the Hyatt sign was lit and the exterior looked like it belonged in 1980's Moscow. Nevertheless, I really did want to give this place a chance. The bellman was friendly and helped us with our bags, so I'll give them a point there. Another point the helpful front desk clerk.

The problems started when we got to the room. It was very dated and it was in desperate need of a renovation. There was a stain on the chair and the wallpaper in the bathroom was discolored. In addition, the automatic blinds did not work. The shower took 15 minutes to produce hot water and there was very little pressure.

The wifi did not work for me and even if it did work, the $10/night charge was excessive. Parking was also pricey at $20/day.

I will have to say though, the weirdest thing about this place was the fact that the only way to access the garage was to go outside, walk to public elevators (shared with the Metro) and go down to the garage level. This is a major safety concern, because you don't know who you will be sharing an elevator with.

In addition, my mother tried to go for a swim later in the day, and she said that she couldn't swim because the pool was 90 degrees. I'm not a swimmer, but according to her this is too hot to swim in.

If I paid $50 for this place on Priceline, I would consider it an adequate deal. However, the $129/night charge was very steep and this is definitely not a 3.5 star property. Hyatt is known for nice hotels, but this isn't one of them.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback and your great comments about our staff.
I wished the property itself have met your expectiations as our guests' satisfaction is our top priority.
Your comments are greatly apporeciated and will help us improve our service.
We are looking forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt on Thanksgiving night and were satisfied with the room and location. Even though we arrived hours before check-in, they gave us our room straight away - thank you! Although we were only in town for one night, the hotel was conveniently located and our room was quiet, clean, spacious, dog-friendly, and the bathroom was huge. Beds were comfy, air conditioner/heater worked perfectly and we slept beautifully after a long day/night of eating. Our rate included breakfast, which offered plenty to choose from - bagels, muffins, cereal, fruit, yogurt, starbucks, fresh oj. The elevators were on the slow side, but other than that, we enjoyed the Bethesda Hyatt!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Some may say the hotel is a bit dated, and perhaps it is, but still a nice property with great service. My room faced the main road over the entrance and some was a bit noisy from traffic. Otherwise no complaints. If your a lite sleeper, look for a room away from the streets. Bed was comfortable although the frame was a bit noisy when you first climb into bed. I used the 9.95 internet connection - to say it is SLOW is an understatement, I think dial up is faster.

Room Tip: Don't purchase the internet unless absolutely necessary, it is extremely slow.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business