“Bethesda Hyatt”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 26, 2012

A little far from the national mall, but a great price. Right at the metro stop and if you walk a few block, there are several restaurants of all types plus some cute shops. Disadvantage, they charge $10 a day for Internet (we didn't use it). We were Ina king room with a sofa sleeper. The room was huge and quiet even though it was right over the main entrance to the motel. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 24, 2012

As in most (if not all) Hyatt Regencies, this hotel has the open interior/hanging gardens design and glass walled elevators. Very attractive. Great selection of wall and floor treatments, good accent lighting. Very polite and professional staff...extra staff called over when there was a line at the front desk (corporate training).

The room was quite comfortable with good bed, large TV, great bathroom with excellent water pressure in the shower for a high-rise property. The only negative is for the in-room WiFi (additional $10 per night) which was unreliable and slow. Also as in many Hyatts, access to the parking garage required a transfer to an exterior elevator. Overnight self parking is $12, $20 if you want to leave and come back.

There is a lobby bar as well as 2 very nice restaurants (Morton's steaks and something Grill) on the lobby level. I didn't try either, but they looked nice. Overall, a very good hotel, right at a Metro (subway) stop so getting into DC is easy.

Regular rates are a bit high, but the online travel sites can get you some deals. Definitely recommend this hotel...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 22, 2012

The hotel staff couldn't be nicer and the food for the conference was good. A/C was noisy, pillows were like rocks, carpet was stained and overall the rooms needed updating.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The staff at the front desk was very friendly and accomodating. The location near the Metro stop is excellent, and many restaurants and grocery stores are a short walk away. The room was spacious, with a comfortable bed, small (personal) coffeemaker and TV. The bathroom was also spacious and in good condition. The room furniture and carpet need some updating, and we could have used more electric plugs on the walls (used the ones on the desk often). The main problem is that you have to pay at least $10/day if you want internet service in your room. There is free wifi in the lobby, but the lobby is not too big, therefore it's not the most comfortable spot for wifi. Our room was in a corner, so it was not too noisy but we always travel with ear plugs now! Good choice if you get a decent price, with friendly service although there may be better options in the same area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I attended a job fair in Bethesda last month. The fair was just OK but the hotel was a nice surprise. It is squeaky clean, it couldn't be more convenient to the subway/bus hub - literally across the street. Staff, almost without exception, could not have been more pleasant. Over all impression when I left was that it was a good hotel that should be a great hotel. That's basically all you really need to know. If you would like the details that I have included for the benefit of management, read on...

It has, like many Hyatts, an atrium lobby with glass elevators. Balcony hallways overlook the lobby. I think management has missed an opportunity to go from good to great by not putting effort into a kind of hanging garden effect from the balconies. At least the first four floors could have hanging *flowering* vines and not just ivy that is mixed silk and real. Go the extra mile and make it great.

A water feature in the lobby would have been a nice touch too so that when you look over the balcony, you see the fountain but more importantly, you hear the water when walking around the balconies. Again, going from good to great.

We ate lunch in the restaurant and it was ok but the service was SLOW - I mean, twice. The first attempt to have a drink and a snack failed because no one would wait on us so we finally walked out. Don't know what that was about. The next time, we went to the bar and had drinks and lunch and, while we were waited on, the food was slow in coming and the bar tender seemed frazzled. There just wasn't enough going on to warrant that level of frazzled. He was inefficient in his work so everything took twice as long. He was, however, pleasant and polite. More staff training is needed to help staff work more efficiently.

I have to say that I'm absolutely annoyed with the latest version of hotel room coffeemakers. The little slide tray and individual paper cups isn't working for me. The first morning the machine didn't work. The next, we found one regular and one decaf tray. The coffee in the room thing is a huge deal for me. I don't function before my coffee and I don't want to have to go out and get it. I just want to lay around, sip my coffee, listen to the news and think about my day. No restaurant, no room service that doesn't come for ages, no people. Just me and my coffee. So, heads up Hyatt.

I *would* have gotten free breakfast if I were a "go down to breakfast" person... Because I joined the Hyatt rewards club when I checked in, I was offered free internet, free breakfast and a free welcome drink. Not a bad deal. BUT again, why is a hotel charging for internet today anyway???? NO!!! It isn't like the average person has a choice anymore about using it or not. I HAVE to access internet to check in for my flight. I communicate with my family and friends with internet. I make reservations with internet. It is no longer a "luxury" item. It is a necessity. Would you charge for toilet paper or towels? NO. Internet falls under that same category today. Offer internet free and find another source for the lost revenue. I promise it will come back to you because the public will appreciate it. I mean, if a Holiday Inn or Hampton Inn can offer free internet - AND IT WORKS, then so can HYATT. And, I assume that you are offering free internet access to your corporate accounts - companies that can easily afford to pay for this and take it as a business write off - why are you punishing individual guests that are there on holiday or don't have a corporate affiliation? That's right up there with Exxon not paying taxes but the average citizen is slammed with them... Maybe you could rethink the internet charge?

I hope that the review has been helpful for both management and potential guests.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stiffnsterninc
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Our room was dreary, with rundown furniture, stains in the carpet, holes in the sheets, terrible pillows and a rattling air conditioner. On our last day, when we returned at 9:30pm our room had still not been made up, nor had 3 others near ours.

The front desk staff is friendly and accommodating.
There are some nice restaurants within walking distance, but so are several hotels in the same category as the Hyatt.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Walking up from the Metro makes this location great, especially when visiting the NIH. But the hotel rooms are typical Hyatt, the restaurant is an adjoining Capital Grill and the stays are noisy.

1) Good rooms, comfy bed, nary a single firm pillow in the room.
2) Restaurant opens too late for early meetings. The service was ok, but slightly slow. Room service was better.
3) Sirens are abundant.

Room Tip: Ask to not look down on Wisconsin Ave.