“Hotel near Bethesda Row”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Walnut Creek, California
“Hotel near Bethesda Row”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stayed here instead of DC because of price and being on top of the metro station. The location is great for the metro but also for being near Bethesda Row with great restaurants and shops.
Rooms are dated and worn but were clean and acceptable.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank David K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Midland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at this hotel last week and found that it had a wonderful staff. They were extremely helpful, but I wish they had a better hotel to work with. My hotel room, 142, was in need of an update! The carpet is falling a part at the door, the hotel room had power strips running around it, and the bathroom was in bad condition. In addition, the room looked like my grandmother decorated it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed here for a conference in late April and had a fantastic room with a large deck that had a commanding view of Bethesda. The bed was very comfortable, the room was quiet, and the decor was pleasing. The only odd thing is that the TV console was used as a room divider between the bed room and the rest of the suit...the unit itself, and the cables on the floor, can be a real obstacle, particularly at night if you are stumbling to the bathroom half-asleep.

The internet situation is very confusing. You are charged for every device you have (laptop, iphone, Ipad, etc)...though, if you call the provider, they say the front desk will consolidate the charges and not double or triple bill you.

The hotel is perfectly located, directly adjacent to the metro station and walking distance from many great restaurants, which is a good thing, because the Daily Grill and the Mortons on the property are the worst outlets I've come across in those two chains. I am a big fan of the Daily Grill, but the meals and service at this one were terrible. The Mortons here was fine. but hardly up to the chain's standards in terms of taste and preparation. The steaks and side dishes lacked flavor...as if they were rationing the seasonings and butter.

The conference facilities were very poorly laid out...making it difficult to socialize and connect with fellow attendees. The lobby and bar don't have enough seats, tables and open space to make it conducive for the socializing and networking that makes a conference really work. As big as this hotel is, the lobby and meeting areas felt cramped.

I would stay here again as a tourist but, if I was booking a conference, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LeeGoldberg
Groton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 8, 2012

I don't know why atrium hotels were so big in the '80's, but this must have been huge then. It has the full open atrium, so if there's a noisy party in the lobby and you're on any floor, you get to hear all of the laughter and shouts - even at 1 AM. If you like to sleep, stay away. Otherwise, the building is old, the rooms need updating and the food from room service is really bad (don't label the margarine as butter, I do know the difference). The staff, however, are lovely: kind , friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

Norfolk
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Our experience at this hotel was a result of a priceline bid for which we got the reservation for two nights for about $75/night. Despite the slightly dated decor, the room was great and upon seeing our children they upgraded us to a slightly larger room with pull out couch. I had to walk down the street to get breakfast in the mornings but it wasn't bad. I just don't recommend it for the cold.
The parking can be a bit confusing. I ended up parking across the street (to the right and up a hill), but I wished that I had just self parked at the hotel as it appeared that they were both public lots. I tried the City of Bethesda's parking system and was thoroughly unimpressed with their system of payment and information. I even installed the app on my droid, but it did not give me all of the info that I needed and we ended up overpaying. Lesson learned.
After paying parking and breakfast I left thinking that we probably could have done better at another hotel without bidding. You always have to take these added costs in mind. I did consider taking the metro in but with five family members, it really would not have saved us much money.

Room Tip: Park at the hotel using their self park option. Ask the parking attendants, they have to tell you a...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Revc2
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

We went there on a vacation. It was my wife, two under 6 kids, my mother and sister. For this group, it was really brilliant choice. Metro station is under the hotel with no noise at all. Valet parking is available for reasonble prices. We were there to visit DC and wander around DC Metropolitan. Location was perfect. For the day we could easily wnter the highways to any palce; i.e. DC, Tysons and other malls, and at nights great restaurants a couple of quite movies theatres are close by at Bethesda Square with very good choices. It cn get a bit noisy at night at the hotel if they are holding meetings or gatherings, but it fades away in a while and not that bad if you are in a higher floor. It is on my favourite ones if I am back on limited budget or with large group.

Stayed September 2011
1 Thank FahadDM
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I just returned from my first stay at the Hyatt & it was great! The place was clean & very comfortable. The location perfect, over Metro & near many restaurants & shops, but I was most impressed with the staff. They were very friendly & willing to help anytime you needed it. I arrived early, at noon, & my room was ready so I was able to check in early. No matter what their position, people were friendly & helpful. I recommend this to anyone visiting the area & look forward to a return visit myself!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo