WINNER WONDERLAND

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel staff & great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2011

From the moment we registered, our four day stay was wonderful. We read reviews about the hotel rooms being small and in need of updates. Our corner room on the first floor was large (i.e., two beds and a sofa bed), clean and not in need of updates.

Since we have two young boys (i.e., ages 6 and 8), my wife and I smiled when we noticed a large dining space for meetings around the corner from our room. That is, if a group was going to meet there, then any noise our boys would make would not be so noticeable. On one of the nights during our stay, a group of individuals met in the dining space pre-dinner and the sound did not travel to our room because of the glass wall surrounding the dining tables.

One of our children got sick late one night and the hotel staff was quick to respond and they refused the tip we offered them for their assistance. Though, we persisted and insisted they accept the tip.

The concierge made excellent suggestions for places to eat and things to do for a family with young children.

As for the location, it's perfect. Outside the side entrance to the hotel is a Metro station which is a short ride into Washington, DC. In addition, there are many very good restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. As for walking, the hotel is in a safe neighborhood.

Room Tip: Request a corner room.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BostonSuburb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

The best thing about this hotel is that it is right on top of the subway so you can get to downtown DC pretty easily. The concierge was very helpful. The rooms were a little dated. I was not given a choice between two queens or one king sized bed, and they gave me a room with two queens, though I would have preferred a king sized bed. But I booked through priceline for $65 so I did not ask to switch. Overall, it was a good stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kosciusko, Mississippi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was very helpful in helping us learn our way around town. The metro is right below the hotel ..very convenient when staying in Washington, D.C. Great restaurants and shops close by and very safe area in which to walk. We would stay again anytime. We happened to get a great rate. Check on that if you plan to stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
The Bay Area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

I can understand some of the criticisms below ("needs a face lift") but you can also look at this hotel from the other side: there is an old-fashioned, unpretentious charm about this hotel, things work well and the design is very different from much of the modern, generic and boring, construction.

Above all, it is perfectly situated if you need to be in Bethesda.

Unfortunately, they charge for WiFi which does not make financial sense but aggravates the customer.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cuckatoo
Princeton, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

This hotel just seems old and begs for renovation. The staff were great as expected from Hyatt, but overall, I would not recommend this hotel. First, we had a suite on the 7th floor, but the room can use a makeover. My wife refused to sit on the sofa in the living room because it's dirty with black stains. After I unfolded the sofa bed, we found crackers under it. My wife was allergic to the downs, so the house keeping came over and supposedly took care of it around 10pm. We had guests over; did not check on it until 2am. All the house keeping did was to replace the pillow; everything else was still downs. Perhaps, I just expected too much from a Hyatt, but this one is definitely not to the Hyatt standard I came to expect.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2011

Pros: The exceptionally friendly front desk staff; location on top of the Bethesda Metro stop

Otherwise, it is dated and tired hotel with no frills and definitely no luxury! (as reported in the hotel description). I stayed here because I had a meeting right next to it and I couldn't be bothered to look for other accommodations at the last minute. But I won't be coming back. Not because it was the worst hotel in the world--it wasn't. But for the money (well over $200/night), you do not get any kind of return on the money. Luckily this was a business trip for me so I didn't have to pay for it myself, but I can't imagine anyone coming out of pocket for it. First of all how come none of the phones in my room worked? On the desk phone, I pressed the room service button, but instead got the front desk, who had to transfer me. After about 3,750 rings , room service picked up. I placed my order and was told it would take 40 mins. I was really hungry after having been traveling for a while, so I tried to distract myself and wait. At minute 42 they call back to say sorry, but they don't have one of the sides I ordered after all. Fine, whatever. I asked but is it on the way up now? He said yes. 18 minutes later, still nothing. I call them back from the nightstand phone, again by pressing the room service button. Instead, the phone lottery this time gave me, " Emergency services, what's your emergency?" Oh good lord. I tell him I was trying to call room service, and he gives me the extension, only slightly peeved. I was like um, I did press the room service button. So I dial the extension he gave me, and I get some other guy that wasn't room service. Sigh. This guy then transfers me. After several rings it just comes back to him. He tries again and this time I get some random voice mail. Whatever Hyatt Bethesda telecommunications!

By this time the food came (1 hour + for one plate of pasta). And it was pretty mediocre, but I ate it all because I was hungry. I was in fact so hungry that I ate so fast I almost choked. Luckily I had my own water bottle because I didn't want to pay $3.75 for municipal tap water (Aquafina). I mean really, for the rate I paid, you'd think I would get complimentary water, as is routinely the case at other hotels I've stayed at. As I say, no frills. There is also no safe, no fridge, no mini-bar and internet is $9.95/night. Finally, the hypoallergenic room I had basically comprises a big clunky floor-model air purifier. The room itself gave no vibes of an organic experience.

To wit, no.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

I don't get it. This is a Hyatt property. That used to mean top of the line. I assume when this hotel was built 20+ years ago, it was. The problem is, the hotel looks like they haven't put 2 cents into the property since. When you walk in you see a grand soaring lobby. After you get past the lobby it all falls apart. The hallways have old peeling dirty wall paper. The room looks like an old Howard Johnson's or Holiday Inn. I could go on and on but I won't. After the manager told me the propert was currently "bank owned" I realized a reno was not forthcoming. I only wish Hyatt would inspect this property. If they did the Hyatt sign would be taken down in a hurry,

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matt K, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, February 3, 2016
Thank you for your review. I apologize your review was not originally responded to. Our hotel is under new management and I have made a priority to review some past reviews to obtain a better understanding of our previous guest concerns. I am pleased to report we will be completing a renovation in 2016 and will have a fabulous product. We look forward to our enhancements and hope you come see us in the future.