WINNER WONDERLAND

Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Columbia, United States
“Not family-friendly and incompetent staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I will not stay here again and am entirely disappointed with the entire experience. I thought the Double Tree was a quality hotel but I was wrong and won't be coming back. I was especially disappointed with the staff attitudes and their lack of attention to my requests. I was simply in shock when they called me at my 9 month old daughter's bedtime and told me they did not have any cribs and that they had to throw a bunch away because they were unsafe. I asked what I should do and the lady on the other end said she didn't know. I told her my daughter needs a place to sleep. She asked if I wanted to speak to a manager and I said yes. I was forwarded to a voicemail and left a message. I was not called back by the manager or followed-up with at all. My friend went down to the front desk and simply stated this is not acceptable, this is a baby, and they need to get a crib to us TONIGHT. After much pleading and protesting on our part, 1 hour later a crib showed up at the door after my daughter fell asleep on me in the bed. On top of that, we received mixed responses about our other requests (fridge, high chair) and they didn't show up until several hours (or a day) after our arrival. I was under the impression a request for these items would insure that they were present to make our stay with our family comfortable and convenient... I was wrong. If the Double Tree can't afford to make these requests available to guests, they shouldn't offer these amenities. If they have a finite number of cribs, fridges, etc., they should be able to figure out how many are going to be 'checked-out' and thus should not promise something they cannot provide. Horrible experience...

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Sharon R
RBernard, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear Sharon, we impress on our team daily the importance of responsiveness to our guest. This is usually one of our strong areas. We have recently replaced some of our older cribs with new ones. I truly hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again and change your perception.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dover, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fitness center not open 24 hours. Breakfast not ready to be served at 6:00 am on Sunday morning although this is stated on the web site. Mattresses in room extremely soft. Noise from hallway and adjacent rooms interfered with sleep.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Hi Elizabeth, our guests are able to access the fitness center 24 hours with their room key card. Timeliness within our various F&B areas are extremely important to us, we will keep a close eye on the issue you mentioned regarding breakfast. One of the most frequent compliments we get is about the comfort of our beds. Also, the noise level you experienced from the adjacent room is also pretty rear for us. We truly hope to serve you again soon.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed for three days and had no problem with service, from front desk to housekeeping. Yes, the cookies are always a hit. The room was spacious, clean, and the bed/tv were on the newer side. However, the hotel itself, especially the hallways, are old and have a musty smell that should be addressed.

The location cannot be beat! There are so many places to eat within walking distance (perhaps 30 restaurants I counted within a 7 block radius). And there are two metro stops within a 10 minute walking distance (although I understand the hotel provides a shuttle). I was in Metro Center DC within 6 stops.

The price for the location is very good. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Boise, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our family of four found this location to be very convenient to traveling to DC by the Metro. Bethesda, MD is a nice town with many great places to eat. The hotel breakfast is pretty standard fair for the buffet style but it's good and the staff is wonderful. The hotel entrance is located in the tunnel where you pull your car in when arriving. Not much street presence. Once inside it's much better. It was hot and the roof top pool was a hit. The view is enormous but the kids never noticed. We don't mind walking so the 10 minute walk to the Metro was not a big deal for us but they do have a shuttle if necessary. If you have an early morning flight be aware the shuttle service begins at 0700. We'll be back and will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Eric Z
Martinsburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night. We had no issues, the hotel was clean, staff was friendly, room was okay. We walked a short distance to the DC metro and on our way home, we jumped right on the interstate. Good central location. We also loved the free cookie!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I thought I had seen it all, but much to my surprise, I found a couple of charges ($5.30) made directly to my credit card that did not appear on the bill at checkout time. When checking for receipts, none were to be found, so I called the hotel to find out what I "bought". As it turns out, I was told it was for bottles of water that were placed in my room. The odd thing, though. I never touch those, at least not in the US.

I suppose if you're traveling on the Company's dime, those "incidentals" slip below the radar. But when you are the Company, it adds up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fngl51
Salisbury, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our stay at the Doubletree in Bethesda was very nice. Housekeeping and staff did a good job making sure we were comfortable. The only flaw was that both of our key cards had issues. We had to have them reprogrammed and then still had problems.