“Good value compromise for visiting DC”

Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 1, 2008

I stayed here while visiting DC as it was the closest hotel to DC for which I had enough Hilton points. I had a jr suite which provided lots of space. The hotel and room were clean and functional. The room furnishings were looking a bit tired, but there was nothing wrong with them.

There was construction going on in the garage, with made the lobby impossibly noisy during the day. The room was quite though.

HH gold members have access to the “pantry” room which provides a small selection of snacks and drinks. The snacks consisted of chips, M&Ms, chocolate bars, and cereal bars. There is a freezer with ice cream, popsicles, etc too. They also had pizza and burgers in the freezer, but they were really nasty. Unless you are desperate, go out for some food.

Breakfast was the usual selections of bread, fruit, eggs, etc.

The hotel provides an hourly shuttle to the nearby metro stations. It is also a walking distance.

I would stay here again in similar circumstances. As a tourist, it would have been nicer to be closer to DC though.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank H2oson

Reviewed August 7, 2007

I must say that our stay at the Doubletree hotel in Bethesda, MD was one of the best that we have had in quite some time.

My family and I like to frequent the DC area often and we choose a different area each time. This visit we decided to stay in Bethesda which is about a 20 minute trip by the Metro to Washington.

We won this hotel for $50 thru Priceline which is well below the hotel rate. They have it rated as a 3 star but in time I feel it could become a 4. With Priceline you tend not to find Doubletree hotels any higher than a 3 star but after further future reviews and the amenities it offers I feel it could change.

Upon arrival to the hotel you are greeted by the valet staff. As the previous review stated, they will explain to you their services and the price for parking each night. They were very friendly and that's important because they're the first ones from the hotel you see.

From there you enter the hotel and check in. Never once did they treat you as second best because of a Priceline win where as other hotels we've stayed at has. I requested a room with 2 beds and non-smoking and was granted both. And of course they give each member of the party that great cookie!

We then went to our room and was pleased with how big it was. It had a large desk with chair along with complementary internet. In the corner was a chair with stool to relax in and watch the flat screen Dell TV that sat in a nice entertainment center. Then of course there were the beds which were very comfortable. The bathroom was of nice size with a big sink and adjustable shower head.

As for what the hotel offers; It has a fitness facility on the top floor along with a rooftop pool (seasonal). Down in the lobby there's a Starbucks, a restaurant, a sushi bar and a wine bar. We ate at the restaurant for breakfast and dinner each day and the food was great!

Now for the area that impressed us the most, the staff. From top to bottom they were all the best! We were fortunate enough to meet the General Manager of the hotel by the name of Michael and what a great guy he was. It's easy to see why the staff is so good. They are all very people oriented and truly care how your stay is going.

When visiting this hotel you will definitely see a difference from others. It's becoming a trendy spot that will please all ages.
I feel in time you will get reviews explaining this further along with the new ideas taking place that will leave you impressed and in awe! Try it out.

In closing, I'm the most critical person when it comes to hotel stays and I know this sounds all to good but it really is. Great job to all at the Doubletree hotel in Bethesda!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
8  Thank Mattressman64
Reviewed July 26, 2007

I travel fairly extensively thoughout the mid Atlantic region of the US for work, and booked the Doubletree Bethesda to be close to my work locations in McLean and downtown DC. The hotel is in downtown Bethesda, MD, and is surrounded by literally hundreds of mom & pop type restaurants within walking distance down streets that reminded me of an eclectic college town.

The hotel is almost completed with renovations, and the lobby was decked out in marble and mahogany trim. There was a full service Starbucks in the lobby, alongside the hotel restaurant, which served a decent breakfast buffet (free for Hilton Honors members).

My room was on the 10th floor and had a great view of the city - in fact, that is how I decided where I was going to walk for dinner. California Tortilla was just 1 block down the street, past many other street-side restaurants of all flavors. The room had been freshly remodelled, and was decorated in new urban simplicity, complete with a working desk and entertainment center with a Dell flat panel TV.

Wired high speed internet access was also available, with 500mbps speeds for $9.95 per night. The internet access at this hotel was actually fast - I don't encounter that too often.

The only place to park at the hotel is in the garage, directly beneath it, and upon pulling through the entrance for check-in, a valet will greet you and explain that the hotel only has valet parking (at $20 per day, plus tips). This was convenient, but I also have a nice expense account, and work doesn't harrass me about such expenses. I could see this as a potential negative for someone paying out of pocket that is looking for cheap or free parking - because it doesn't exist downtown where the hotel is located.

Overall, this was an excellent hotel for its service, decor, and proximity to DC, McLean, and Reagan National Airport (10 miles to either, approx 25 mins in DC traffic). I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank rockstar898
Reviewed March 30, 2007

I think this will be a great place to stay in the future, but right now it's unethical that this hotel is operating. When I booked my 3-night stay, no one told me about the construction. Let me start by discussing the positives--the location is good, the staff was very friendly, and the rooms are quite comfortable. However, none of this really matters when you are woken at 7:00am by drilling and hammering or when the electricity is shut down for four hours or when the water is turned off for five hours. No kidding. Sure, the price is lower than other hotels in the area, but not low enough to make up for the lack of sleep and showering. Just be forewarned--or maybe ask for a super discount...

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank apoxeet
Reviewed March 24, 2007

I got the reservation at the list minute and was afaid that the hotel would not meet our expectations. While we didn't stay in the hotel long due to visiting musums, relatives, etc, it fully met our expectations. The hotel was clean, quite and well appointed. Resturants in the neighborhood were closed due to the holiday. The staff was friendly and well informed. We got the reservation on priceline for $99 a night. Great deal. Parking was not included.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 20, 2007

I only stayed at the Doubletree Bethesda for one night in Feb 2007 and it was my first time staying there. I am not sure if I would stay there again. First I would like to say that since their hotel is going through construction or renovation, they should list that information on the first page of their website before you make a reservation. If I had known, I would not have stayed there. When I pulled my car up to the front by the main door and went inside to check in, when I came back out I noticed there was little paint chips all over my windows. At first I thought it was damage to my car until I noticed I was able to clean it off, but that still should not have happened. I also wanted to add that they charge $14 for parking, but when you go to park your car in the parking garage it looks so horrible down there - if their parking was free in that garage, I would never park there either. Lastly I wanted to say that while I stayed in my room I could hear street noises through the vent and I was on one of the top floors. I don't think I'll be staying there again. Wasn't expecting that from a "Hilton hotel".

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank layedi
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I stayed here for three days at the end of October. I was in DC and business and did not have time to sample the hotel's amenities (fitness room, room service, etc), but the room was spacious and very clean. I was on the eighth floor. Though it looks like there is still some renovating going on, it didn't effect me at all, but I was never there during the day.

Bed was comfortable, great towels, nice big desk, new-looking LCD TV. I would recommend this hotel for business. It is not very close to a metro stop (it's between two stops), but it is on a bus line. I didn't have a car, but at $14 per day, parking seemed very expensive.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business