“*Almost* perfect...”

Doubletree Hotel Bethesda
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Doubletree Bethesda - Love you. Love the fact that you treated me like a welcomed guest, gave me some extra perks as a diamond member, the rooftop pool, great workout room, convenience of valet parking, friendliness of staff we're all fantastic.

But your A/C. We gotta talk. It's not me, it's you. When it rained (albeit hard and may have been hail?) the night we were there, it was like marbles being rolled down a sheet metal roof and the A/C groaned and grumbled all night. I couldn't sleep, thus violating the #1 rule that we all need from a hotel - a good night's sleep. When I find out that you've revamped your AC, it will be my #1 choice for DC and heck without the rain, it might have been OK.

Keep doing what you're doing, fix the AC and I think you'll be the #1 hotel in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank hnewburn
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our property. We do strive for perfection with every guest and when we fall short, we immediately address any issue on a hotel wide scale with the entire management team. I am also fortunate to be surrounded by a dedicated friendly and responsive staff to address guest requests upon demand. Rain or shine however, our travelers do expect a comfortable stay and a quiet sleep experience. Please rest assured this is not he norm for our property and we are focused on the matter. Pleas let me know upon planning your next rip back so I can insure your accomodations exceed your expectations. Thank you again for your time to write and for choosing our property for your accomodations.

Reviewed July 2, 2011

Having stayed at this hotel several times before on business trips to the Bethesda area, I was pleased to find it very reasonably priced for our family vacation road trip stay in Washington. It's close enough to the metro. Rooms are big, comfortable and very nicely done. They have a great rooftop pool. My only gripe is the air conditioner that was VERY noisy, and, of course, windows that don't open. The sushi restaurant (Maki Maki) across the street is excellent, and much cheaper than the hotel sushi bar. Note that parking in the public lot across the street is FREE at weekends (Fri 10pm-Mon 8am).

Room Tip: Higher floors have the best views
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2011

The manager we spoke with was very nice, took a full report and pictures, and will "submit" to whomever, I'm hopeful for a favorable resolution. The person who did the damage had to have known he did it, and did not report it. I was LESS than happy. And to add insult to injury, while speaking with the manager we specifically told valet parking NOT to morve our car, because we were going out in 10 minutes - the car was moved and we had to wait 10 minutes for them to retrieve the car. Again, less than happy. This is the first time I've stayed at a hotel with valet parking, and I don't know if this is a common occurrence. I will not return.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We chose this hotel as a "convenient" place to stay while we were visiting Washington DC. It was located near a Metro stop and provided a free shuttle service to the stop. Unfortunately, during our stay, the Metro stop escalator was being repaired and was basically unusable unless you didn't mind a 6-7 story staircase.
The hotel itself was clean and the rooms well-appointed but we found the service to be knowledgeable but not particularly friendly. Almost stuffy even.
The "valet" staff especially had their own little financial thing going that was annoying. When we asked them the first morning for a taxi; they said none were available but they just happened to have a friend who had a car to take us.. the friend charged $40. We found our own taxi and the fare to downtown DC was $17.
Overall; nice hotel, clean, comfortable but not at all convenient to much of anything. Next time we'll just forego the Metro idea and just stay in downtown DC. By the time you add the cost of the Metro, the tips, the taxis, etc... the DC hotels would have been cheaper and definitely easier.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BillT2
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Dear Bill,
thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I regret that your experience did not meet your expectations, despite your satisfaction with the hotel's facility and cleanliness. It is unfortunate that the metro escalator was under repair, as this would have saved you the additional expense for a private limo service, which is typically more than the cost of a cab. It would have also saved you a great deal of time, as DC is only one stop beyond Bethesda. Although our valet staff has relationships with several car services in the area, I believe they were trying to accomodate your needs in a timely manner, not necessarily seeking to profit from assisting you as a guest of the hotel. In any event your impressions are not of the norm for our serviceor location and I hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust. Please contact my office upon your intent to return to our great city, so I can insure your expectations are exceeded. Thank you again for your valuable time once again.

Reviewed May 29, 2011

My Family and I recently stayed at the Double Tree hotel. Our stay was fantastic. Right from Front Desk, Restaurant and Housekeeping, staff was friendly and very caring. All staff went great lengths to make sure that my little kids (ages 4 and 5) were comfortable. The warm and friendly hospitality we received along with the lovely décor gives the hotel truly a resort like feel. Additionally, shops, variety of restaurants and the Metro station were at a walking distance, making the hotel a convenient location. We had a relaxing stay and hope to visit the hotel in the future. Thank you so much.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2011

This was the second time we stayed at this hotel. The first time was for a wedding and this was for my birthday. The hotel is very consistent. The service is good and the staff is attentive. The location is just right for walking around Bethesda.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Dear Doubletree,

Last week, my company paid you an ungodly sum of money for us to stay for a few days. You asked for my debit card for "incidentals", I said fine.

Then you charged a higher ungodly sum of money to my debit card...as well as that of my coworker and my company. Your charge was so high, it bounced my rent check.

Your charge was so high, you froze my account while I was leaving for Europe right after. I was standing in the middle of the English countryside checking into my hotel and found my room unbooked because you got my card declined. My card was declined at restaurants, hotels, shops. You almost forced a cancellation on every single leg of my trip.

You forced me to cancel my plans to Amsterdam in order to make an emergency deposit of my cash in hand at 6 am at the airport in order to ensure my bills are paid.

When I called you (On a layover in Texas no less), you referred me to a manager who never called me back. It took involving my boss multiple phone calls to get the charge reversed, which was an embarassment to myself and to your institution.

You ruined my plans, my bank account and my stay. I hope no corporate entities will ever book a stay in your hotel again. Doubletree will attempt to make multiple charges on everyone's account and ruin their stay.

I wish there was an option for no stars.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank almostfamous2
DT-Bethesda, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2011

Thank you for your comments. I do regret the challenges you faced as a result of this Debit Card transaction. Unfortunately DC restrictions are different from traditional credit cards, hence the signage at our guest registration desk. The Priceline reservation made by your company was never prepaid. This forced the use of your own debit card a check-in. Once your company corrected this error and provided a corporate card, we adjusted the charges immediately. Yet funds are not always released in a timely manner by the bank. I regret this incident and wish to thank you again for your understanding and for taking the time to share this feedback.