“Excellent Staff”

American Inn of Bethesda
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed February 8, 2010

I rented a room after a snow storm left my apartment building w/o power for 2 days. I went back to my apartment to pick -up a few things and - boom! - the power comes back on. I called the motel and asked if I could cancel - they were very understanding and did not charge me. Thanx Alexis!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for American Inn of Bethesda

Reviewed January 15, 2010

I really liked this hotel. When I read some of the reviews of the hotel I was suprised to see that some were negative. So, I asked a frontdesk person why? He said that "The reviews were just old." The hotel has new owners and almost all of the rooms were renovated in the last year. I guess this explains the difference.

In contrast, my stay was very pleasant. I stayed 2 nights in one of the recently renovated rooms. Everything was new and very clean. I have stayed at some of the other hotels in the neighborhood and this is a much better value. Plus, the free breakfast was better than what the chain hotels serve. And, the staff (apparently all new too) were very professional and very helpful -- especially for a modertely priced hotel!

Avoid staying in the Annex! When I checked-in, I was assigned one of those rooms. The annex rooms have not been renovated (as of Jan 2010). I asked them to move me. Fortunately, they had one of the new rooms left, although I had to wait about 10 min. while the maids to finished-up. The same front desk guy told me those rooms would be fixed by the fall. Until then - beware the annex!

I plan to stay here again on my next trip!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank JustBusiness2010
Reviewed October 24, 2009

This hotel is shabby and run-down, not at all worth the $175 discounted rate I was charged. While it is nicely situated and the staff was friendly and helpful, the rooms are outdated and small and the breakfast was substandard. I've stayed at cleaner, more modern, much better priced Super 8s and Motel 6s.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank LAcentric
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Ok, I chose this hotel so it was cheapest available, so I guess shouldn't expect much. However, they put me in "the annex", which is over the lobby, and faces directly onto the main road. The room was boiling despite being late September, and had a definite stale body smell. So I tried to open the window to cool off. This only let in more street noise, and since there was no possibility of air circulation (one window), did very little to help either the temperature or smell.....
Staff were very nice and polite, nice position close to NIH (and regular shuttles).
If it is the cheapest by far, it's somewhere you can try and sleep. Maybe stay a bit further out of town or pay a bit more, and you may arrive awake at NIH next morning.....

Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank BusinessTraveller009
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This was my second stay at this hotel; my original being in April of 2006. Both times I found the staff, which did seem largely immigrant, to be friendly and helpful. The front desk individuals had superb communication skills and were quite inviting to the hotel. I road the elevator with the cleaning staff on several occasions and they, too, aimed to please. Also, I had called ahead to ensure that my reservation was in place and the woman who answered the phone was also very pleasant and helpful.

Check-in and out was easy and efficient. I arrived an hour prior to check-in and she gladly found a clean room available early for me immediately. My standard room was small, but efficient; it also appeared to be extremely clean. With all of the furnature packed into the room (bed, two night stands, desk, dresser, chair), there was barely room to walk. From my previous visit, where we had two large beds, our room was much larger. There was a refrigerator within the dresser area (although we did not get one in my previous visit) and this was not something that I requested. The room also had a blow dryer, safe, iron, luggage rack (although I have no idea where you could have put it), and alarm clock. There was also a beautiful flat screen TV, however I was disappointed by the number of channels that they advertised that did not come in. It seemed to have sufficient lighting, but more important to my visit, the room was easily “blackened out” of outside light and for the most part quiet.

Apparently the entire hotel is either being heated or air conditioned. During my stay, the AC was on and it was entirely too cold for me. I ended up turning the system off, although the air did become stale. The bedding consisted of a sheet and thin comforter. Considering the temperature, I would have preferred an extra blanket. However, they did have four comfortable pillows.

The hot water was a bit slow getting to me, but there did seem to be plenty. The towels were sufficient. They were also advertising an eco-friendly program where they do not automatically wash towels and bedding for guests staying multiple nights, unless requested.

Do not count on their free parking. There is a tiny lot in front of the building a few additional spots in a “garage” area. The garage spots are very tight and I was not pleased having to park so close to a cement slab. I also witnessed a gentleman having difficulties maneuvering his vehicle out of the garage do to someone parking inappropriately. The only time that there was a spot available was when I arrived early and even then most of the spots were taken by the staff. The remainder of my stay, I was not able to park in any of their spots. However, on the backside of their building (take Wisconsin Avenue south towards DC, past the Double Tree Hotel turn right onto Cordell Avenue, turn right onto Woodmont Avenue, left side of the street) there is a parking garage. All of the spots are metered parking (Monday through Friday from approximately 9am until 10pm), however it is free during the weekends. I never had any issues parking here. There was street parking on Cordell Avenue that was metered, but often available. The spots on Wisconsin were more often taken.

Traffic in the area during busy times did get heavier. The neighborhood does have some life to it. However, post-midnight, I found Wisconsin Avenue to be a quick trip. The hotel’s sign was easy to find from the road (although it’s located next door to the Double Tree Hotel). There seemed to be plenty of eateries, drug stores, and even a few gas stations in the area. If you take Wisconsin Avenue towards DC about a mile, you will find much more upscale shopping.

As far as a place to simply rest one’s head, the American Inn is more than sufficient. However, when you consider what I paid for the small room with a few small glitches (TV, heat, parking, ect.), I did not see the value. I would probably return only because it appears to be the cheapest in the area.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank DaDancingTraveler
Reviewed April 20, 2009

The American Inn is superbly situated in bethesda, a first rate hotel. Its a bit expensive but you get your moneys worth. As I say, ideal location, quiet, 1-2 minute walk from pubs, restaurants, 5 minute walk from the Metro, very good for NIH/NAVY hospital visitors, shuttle bus to either, could walk it if the sun's out,

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Spent a very nice two nights at this moderately-priced, clean and comfortable hotel.

I stayed there some years ago in a small, single room, so I asked for a double this time. It was lovely: good size, clean, great flat-screen TV and Wi-Fi connection, two beds with comfortable mattresses and pillows.

The bathroom was clean and the shower was fine, but there's hardly any room to put your "stuff" anywhere, other than a small alcove next to the sink. But, not a major problem.

The complimentary breakfast is more than enough to start the day: bagels, muffins, croissants, lots of spreads, cereals, juices, etc., etc. Nice breakfast-room setting, or, you can take it back to your room.

Manager Dan was pleasant and responsive about my "room size concerns" when I was booking the reservation, and he helpfully allowed a late checkout when I needed it on the last day.

All in all, a nice experience in a well-located, modest hotel, which I plan to return to.

• Stayed: January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank LongIsland163