“Avoid. Forgot wake-up call and taxi...”

American Inn of Bethesda
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Cleveland, Ohio
“Avoid. Forgot wake-up call and taxi...”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I would not stay here again. The front desk clerk seemed shady and unprofessional. Yes, I just used the word shady because it is appropriate. Carpet in room was dirty, small stains on bed sheet... I can't say with confidence that everything had been changed. The staff at the front desk forgot about my wake-up call/didn't write it down and did not call me when my taxi arrived, the taxi they supposedly called. Apparently they called 3 different rooms in the wee hours of the morning because they couldn't figure out which was mine...those poor souls.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Diana A
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
I am very sorry to hear that we failed so miserably to provide you with adequate service and accommodations during your last stay with us. I have provided additonal service training to our staff since your last stay with us to address some of the issues you raised in this review. Obviously, unprofessional is not a characterization we strive for with our guests. I have used your comments to underscore the importance of follow through and service delivery. Please accept my deepest apologies and rest assured that your comments have not fallen on deaf ears. We are taking action to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The staff is super friendly and the hotel and rooms are usually clean. Never had an issue her in dozen nights or so. The hotel is older but decent.They are cheaper than the newer nicer hotels and a good value.

Some of the Queen rooms are small but not bad for one person, the King rooms are definitely larger. There is parking but it is limited and the garage is tight if you have to park in there.

Room Tip: Get a King room!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for your response Tom R. We appreciate your continued business and look forward to your next stay at the American Inn.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Had a great experience at the american inn. The room is small but decorated very nicely, nice bathroom and very hospitable and helpful staff. Definitely a great value for the money!! Close to Metro and all the Bethesda shopping and restaurants. The free parking worked out fine for us even though it is limited. The breakfast was very enjoyable with hot and cold dishes. Had a great stay!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thanks to taking the time to talk about your experience at the American Inn. I'm glad that you found our hotel to be a good balance of quality and value. We are working hard to create memorable experiences like yours for all of our guests. Your comments have helped us to move closer to this goal. I hope that you stay with us again in the near future.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at the American Inn for one night and had to give a talk at the NIH. The staff was extremely helpful (especially Adeline) and I used the courtesy hotel shuttle to the NIH where the driver was very instrumental in helping me going smoothly through the security check point.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations during your visit to Bethesda. We understand how daunting the security process can be when entering NIH. So, we make every effort to prepare our guests in advance and to help them through the process at the gate. I'm happy to hear that our efforts had a positive impact on your visit. Thank you for your business!
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I stayed at the America Inn a few weeks ago while on a business trip. It was not only rightly priced but the hospitality I received from the staff was amazing. Adeline was beyond helpful on my last day in ensuring I received items I had couriered to my room and was also kind to give us a few hours more and check out late considering we had a late evening flight.
The room was not only well cleaned but also the staff were keen to ensure that they responded to any questions we had with a smile. I would definitely stay there again! Christine

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for comments. I'm happy to hear that Adeline was so gracious and helpful. She exemplifies the level of service we strive for at the American Inn. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return!
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here on a Friday night. Room had not been cleaned (towels were wet, bed not fully made, used glasses and water bottles in the room). Pillows were beyond useless. Sheets were itchy (I may now have lice/bed bugs), and the A/C in the room did not work properly. There were lots of loud mechanical noises at night. The parking lot was full when we arrived, and I had to park in a public lot across the street. I went down to the lobby to ask for new towels, and they said they didn't have any. I would DEFINITELY avoid this hotel. Not a good experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank matt02143
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your last stay. I understand how frustrating it must have been for you to be checked into a room that did not meet basic standards of cleanliness and quality. There is no question that we missed the mark with your stay. Although you did not mention it in your review, It would helpful to know if you reported your observations to our front desk, and, if so, how did we respond? Obviously, issues and problems happen occasionally. But, our staff is empowered and should be capable of resolving these issues as they arise. Specifically, placing a guest in a dirty room is unacceptable and should be corrected immediately. Also, although our on-site parking is limited, keep in mind that we are the only hotel in Bethesda that offers any free parking. Our competitors charge as much as $35 per night for your vehicle. I will be using your comments as a training tool with our staff to help prevent future guests from having a similar experience. I realize that we cannot change your last experience with us. However, we will do our best to improve from your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

Middleburg, FL
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I'm surprised by the reviews of this hotel, unless the hotel's owners are leaving them. This hotel is a no-frills, bare bones hotel. You can see from the rating that I am not trying to say they do nothing right, so they are two stars, not one. They have very little parking, so most must park off site across a busy street. The rooms are truly tiny, essentially the size of a normal bedroom in a small house, not a master bedroom. The water pressure is minimal and the A/C is not controlled by you, but is actually centrally controlled so don't expect it if the weather is cool at all. The staff is mediocre - I was checked out by a guy in a white undershirt that had parked his car blocking mine (I had one of the 10 spaces they do have on-site). The breakfast is pitiful, though they are trying to improve it little by little. I've stayed here twice, but not a choice I made since my company put me there against my will. After taking pictures of how pitiful it was last time, I convinced them not to put us there anymore. On a positive note, they are trying to be better, and it is convenient to things in Bethesda, such as Walter Reed and NIH, but don't expect very much. With this hotel, you get what you pay for, so make sure you get a good price from them or don't stay.

1 Thank John J
Darryl C, General Manager at American Inn of Bethesda, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Thank you, JordJB, for taking the time to give us your feedback on our hotel. I am glad to hear that you have given us a fair opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations . We are continuing to work on the quality of service and guest offerings. However, it is obvious that we missed the mark during your stay. Please accept my apologies for our failure to provide a great memorable experience.

To address a few of your concerns, first, although our parking is limited, we are the only hotel in Bethesda that has any complimentary parking. Most of our competitors charge upwards of $35 per night just to park your car. For guests staying more than one night, we can typically obtain parking for them on the hotel premises.

Although we cannot modify the actual sizes of our guest rooms, we are currently making changes to our guest rooms to make them more comfortable.

Further, I have addressed the uncharacteristic lack of professionalism you experienced during your checkout process with our entire staff. The behaviors you described are unacceptable and I assure you that this will not happen again.

Finally, I'm glad to hear that you recognize some of our efforts to improve the quality of the complimentary breakfast. We have added new items and we continue to modify our presentation to meet and exceed our guest's expectations. I would welcome any specific feedback and suggestions that can help us to reach this goal.

I appreciate your honest feedback. We are constantly working to improve our level of service. And, although we cannot change your previous experience, I hope that you realize that we have heard your feedback and are using your observations to raise the bar.