“Great Food and Lots of EU Beers”
Review of Tyber Bierhaus

Tyber Bierhaus
Ranked #157 of 364 Restaurants in Bethesda
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great Food and Lots of EU Beers”
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Went for a Saturday date night with my wife to this new locations (formerly Jed's Smokehouse) in downtown Bethesda. Used the ole GroupOn.

Location is pretty good, though there's large-scale construction right next door.

For a Saturday night - this large communal venue was quite dead. Which is good if you want some quiet, as the setting is typical German beer hall with large communal tables, but makes you wonder how long they're going to be there. (So go soon...!)

The bar looked pretty cool as a place to hang and watch sports, but we sat toward the front at the large picnic tables.

Beer - great selection!! Tons of Pils, Lagers, Ales... etc. German and Czech mostly, BUT - the cost is a bit excessive - $11 for a half-litre of a German lager. I mean - $8 for a beer is a lot, but $11. Hence we only ordered 2 each vice savoring more of the varietals.

The 'fare' (food) was delicious.... potato pancakes and perogies were good and quickly devoured, though we guessed the latter were frozen. My petite steak was savory, but the salad was a bit odd with sundried tomatoes and corn... I'd expect more of a German-based salad with bleu cheese and some other locale tidbits.

My wife thoroughly enjoyed her order of Eastern shore mussels.

Both orders served with french fries. I would have expected boiled potatoes of sauerkraut.

For our dessert (2 of the 3 offerings were available), so we picked the German chocolate cake. It was scrumptious, BUT should have been listed as German-chocolate-inspired cake, as it was not a traditional German chocolate cake.

Our server (Bob) was friendly, professional and prompt.

Food: Really good
Beers: Solid selection of imports on draft - though not all the ones listed on the chalkboard
Service: Good
Ambiance: Sports bar meets beer hall
Parking: Good luck - some street, or parking garages that close at 10:30.
Metro: Close-by (Bethesda station)
Bathrooms: Clean

Expense: $100+ tab for apps (2), entrees (2), beers (4) and a shared dessert.

Would patronize again: Probably not
Would recommend to others: For OktoberFest or something unique - sure.

• Visited August 2014

“Pricey for what it was”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

Went here with some friends, drank some beer and tried the food. It was all okay but I doubt I'll go back. The music was initially quite loud, especially since the place was nearly empty (okay, tell me I'm old). We asked that it be turned down and were told that it was set at the correct volume(!). But shortly afterwards it was a little quieter. The atmosphere is pretty basic and the food just meh. My friends, who had all been stationed in Germany, were happy with the beer selection. I'd been looking forward to the pierogies but they came only after a long wait and then were flaccid and boring. The sausages were a little fatty for our taste but well seasoned.

What blew me away was that we dropped nearly $50 a person, not including tip. For that amount of money I could have had a much better time somewhere else.

I was worried that the construction outside would be a problem, but it wasn't - unless that's why the music was turned up loud.

Wilmington, Delaware
“A local gem - definitely try this place!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I spent a number of years as an IT consultant, and one of the things many of us tried to do was try some of the local restaurants rather than the usual Applebees and TGI Fridays... Tyber Bierhaus was todays excursion and what a wonderful trip it was! I'm no expert on German beer, but the waitstaff was extremely knowledgable, and suggested a great German pilsner - one liter later, I was convinced I made the right choice! I had the ruben sandwich, which was another great choice! Thankfully, the knives and forks were close at hand in a tray on the table - it was a little much to handle, but just right with the help of the table hardware! This is the kind of place you try once and just have to go back to again and again. Great beer selection, great menu. All in all, a wonderful experience, and one I hope you'll try as well!

Visited July 2014
Paris, France
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

We ate dinner at the Tyber Bierhaus, expecting to experience Belgian food and beers. We had no reservations, but the restaurant was only about on-third full when we arrived. We were seated at a picnic-table style “communal table” (we were the only ones at the table). The menu has about 20 Belgian beers. My boyfriend ordered one (the waiter said it was the hoppiest beer on the menu) and I had a Pilsner Urquell. We ordered starters (Wild Mushroom Soup, Rye Bread Sticks and Spinach and Goat Cheese Salad with Fricassee of Wild Mushrooms) and main dishes (Mussles and Pork Schnitzel with Red Cabbage).

The Wild Mushroom Soup was okay, although very different than any mushroom soup that either of us has ever had. It was a clear broth with a few mushrooms and lots of croutons floating in it. The Rye Bread Sticks were very good, although we wished that they were served with a horseradish sauce instead of the Aioli that came with them. The Spinach and Goat Cheese Salad was a typical spinach salad, nothing special. The Pork Schnitzel was huge, but good. The mussels had a good flavor but were way overcooked. When the waiter asked how we liked our food, we told him that the mussels were very overcooked. He talked to the manager and came back and offered to take them off the bill. We declined.

One of us ordered a second beer and after 10 minutes we signaled the hostess because we were still awaiting the beer and our waiter was nowhere in sight. The beer did arrive shortly afterwards with the excuse of “the bartender was busy”, even though there were not that many people in the restaurant.

With all the great bars and restaurants in DC, I don't think I would go back to the Tyber Bierhaus. I didn't love anything about it, it was just an average experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“20 Draft Beers; All From Europe”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Twenty tap beers from Belgium, Germany and The Czech Republic. I do not need to say more. Do I? I have had two appetizers: the quick toasted thick cut rye bread sticks and the potato pancakes. Both were excellent and could have easily fed/started two people. Working my way down the long line of taps, I have tasted seven beers so far. And, so far, so good.