“change is not always good.......”
Review of Le Vieux Logis

Le Vieux Logis
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Vieux Logis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 373 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Auburn Ave.
Transit: Bethesda Metro Station (Red)
Description: Welcome to Le Vieux Logis A long time Bethesda favorite, Le Vieux Logis offers a newly inspired French menu and wine list, perfect for intimate dinners, cozy nights out and quiet conversation with friends and colleagues. The kitchen showcases flavorful French recipes that change slightly with the season and the availability of locally sourced ingredients. Authentically French, the restaurant has the feel of a bistro with a French country flavor.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Change is definitely NOT always for the better! After having been away for awhile, with another couple returned to Logis on Friday, February 21st, and we asked for Diana who always makes the evening memorable. Unfortunately, we were told that she is no longer a part of the restaurant. Quel dommage! WHAT A REAL PITY! The food was OK but the service - except for a smiling and wonderful Christine - was frankly lousy. I simply could not understand the English of the other (unsmiling) servers. The staff was VERY unfriendly (I wonder: Was this perhaps because I had asked for Diana?!??!). I have been a frequent customer for many many years. THIS TIME was the first time there was NO ONE to warmly wish me "Good NIght." Again, except for Christine, there was just no warmth at all. I asked to be introduced to the new owners. I was told that they were "too busy" to speak with me. I doubt if I shall return.

1  Thank baltimorewill

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Again, not a five star restaurant as so many are quick to hand out. Food was excellent, that is to say, it was prepared and presented very well. Service, menu selection, wine pairings and associated costs were all reasonable. Interior design and ambiance was dreadful. It was a birthday celebration for my mother who was 78. She was a spring chicken compared with the other clientele.

1  Thank gatormotherof2
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We went to this gorgeous restaurant last night for my birthday dinner - all I can say is that it was a very welcoming atmosphere, from the moment we walked in until the moment we left. The food was excellent, as was the wine - the staff is extremely attentive - in short, everything was really perfect. Thank you to the (new) owner and her husband and the wonderful staff - we will definitely be back.

2  Thank Brigitte484
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We learned towards the end of our meal that Diana had sold the restaurant about a month ago. Having not eaten at le Vieux Logis previously, I have no way to ascertain whether the change of ownership has brought about a change in the dining experience; I can only state, unqualifiedly, that the food was wonderful and service was enthusiastic and pleasant, if still a bit rough around the edges (more on that later).

The first thing I noticed upon being seated was that the menu as presented had almost nothing in common with the online version - I can now attribute this to the change of ownership, but it should be addressed. New guests make decisions based on reviews and menus, so both should be updated and available. The new owner is a lovely lady and seems genuinely interested in the well-being of her guests. Her husband is the chef; he made an appearance in the dining room, visiting tables and greeting diners. The menu he has developed is a take on French bistro with the retentionof popular classics like sole meuniere. The man has some serious skills; the Roquefort terrine and the celery soup were delicious, the house-roasted beets sweet and moist. Sole and skate were cooked to perfection, and his choice to provide sparse but flavorful garnish worked given the size of the fish portions and the level of execution. Desserts were shared; a trio of housemade sorbets were bursting with fresh fruit flavor and the exotic fruits soufflé was playful, creative and absolutely delicious. Looking around at other tables, the steamed mussels seemed very popular, served in a pot and often accompanied by a stand of frites.

The wine list needs a little fine tuning, as does the training of staff as to when and how to refill a glass. I don't mind my wine being kept aside in a cooler, but I prefer not to wave down a waitress or server every time my glass runs low. When offering desserts, our waitress forgot to mention the mousse: these two items are the full extent of my issues with service.

The average age of guests was - well, not young. That may have to do with the price, or the fact that it was Wednesday, Overall, le Vieux Logis served one of the best meals we have enjoyed in quite a while, in a pleasant and comfortable environment. We will be back!

2  Thank purposefultravel
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We went for our Valentine's Day meal a week early, as we have learned that dining out on holidays can be and usually is a bad experience. We enjoyed the meal and ambience - Le Vieux Logis is a great people watching/connecting place. We went on a Saturday evening, so it was busy. Two couples next to us in their mid-80s celebrating birthdays and one their 61st anniversary. Delightful conversation was struck. The French onion soup was a bit pedestrian; the cheese was perfect, but the broth was not bold. I had a special item, the skate - only the second time in my life I have had it - and it was great. Free valet parking (of course we tipped) was a nice touch. All in all we enjoyed it, but it was pricey. After all, this was Bethesda - the gas station across the street was charging $4.50 a gallon, a dollar more than anywhere else in the District. Recommended, great fun, good service despite what has been written here. Go, enjoy, and get the specials for that day.

2  Thank faygokid