“#1??? You've GOT to be kidding!”
Review of Le Vieux Logis

Le Vieux Logis
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Vieux Logis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 373 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Auburn Ave.
Transit: Bethesda Metro Station (Red)
Description: Welcome to Le Vieux Logis A long time Bethesda favorite, Le Vieux Logis offers a newly inspired French menu and wine list, perfect for intimate dinners, cozy nights out and quiet conversation with friends and colleagues. The kitchen showcases flavorful French recipes that change slightly with the season and the availability of locally sourced ingredients. Authentically French, the restaurant has the feel of a bistro with a French country flavor.
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was just browsing around looking for Bethesda (it's my hometown) reviews and saw Le Vieux Logis as the #1 rated restaurant in this neck of the woods. Now, it's been a couple of months since we last gave this place its once-a-decade trial, so I don't remember what we had, but I do remember we both agreed that Le Vieux Logis has finally struck out. Sub-mediocre food at startling prices. The clientele tends to be old-time regulars more concerned with maintaining a decades-old habit than eager gourmets sampling exciting fare. That this place isn't at or near the bottom of recommended Bethesda restaurants is just plain embarrassing.

2  Thank ProfRT

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have lived in bethesda for 2 years and have yet to eat great food there. This place is ok. The food has no pop. There was never a wow moment. At those prices you should say wow one time.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

My wife and I have been going to Le Vieux for over 20 years. And each time we go it is both superb and a delightful experience. Diana is every where! The waiters and waitresses all have long experience and do their job well. Highly recommend for a night out, those special occasions, and business dinners. As one business associate commented - a great wine list and well-priced.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I am in complete disagreement – and angered by his impudence – with Tom Sietsema's review of Le Vieux Logis (Bethesda, MD) in the Washington Post. I lived in Bethesda for six years and visited Dianna several times each month, sometimes twice a week. I prefer not to cook, instead venturing into Bethesda, enjoying familiar dishes and trying new fare. Some are delicious, others are not. But, of all the restaurants in Bethesda (some say over 220), I return time and time again to Le Vieux Logis. Why do I cherish this restaurant so much? Let me lay it out for you.

When I call for a reservation – and I have a tendency to call an hour beforehand – not only does Diana recognize me over the phone, she has always ensured a table was set for me (in a corner, my preference) even if it meant shuffling other tables around to accommodate my request. Upon entering the restaurant, Diana and her staff greet me with big smiles and seat me almost immediately. At the table, the bottle of wine that Diana knows I will order is already waiting for me, breathing. After sitting down, Diana, Sara or Ruby come over with the evening’s complimentary mini-appetizer. My favorite is the jalapeño peppers stuffed with goat cheese. Diana doesn’t have to do this with any of her customers, but it’s always the little things that make the difference. I always start dinner with the escargot. I’ve eaten escargot at several French restaurants – much to the dismay of my stomach. To this day, none have tasted better than at Le Vieux Logis. The snails are tender (don’t knock it till you try it), the garlic & parsley butter au jus is delicious, the bread-rounds… I’m hungry thinking about it!

Dinner has many options to select from; I tend to order the special: three petite filet mignons, each with their own savory sauce. They’ve always been tender and perfectly cooked (medium rare for me). The filets come with delicious, whipped potatoes and a medley of well-seasoned vegetables. All together, the meal is exquisite. After dinner, Diana is quick to offer complimentary drinks, of which I always ask for Grand Marnier. As I sit and enjoy my after-dinner drink, Diana, Sara or Ruby stop by to ask how things are and make sure the evening was enjoyable. They have never disappointed.

Most recently, I informed Diana that I had moved to Capitol Hill though I promised to continue to come back to Bethesda just for dinner, which is exactly what I plan to do tonight. I’ve already called and made my reservation! Why drive back to Bethesda from downtown DC? Because I miss the engagement; the niceties; the little things; the friendliness offered at Le Vieux Logis, things lacking in today’s boutique and chain restaurants.

At the end of the day, it’s a warm place where – though I recognize I’m not special by any sense – I at least feel special. And to me, that's why I return, time and time again.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We have been to Le Vieux Logis 3 times in the past year. On our most recent visit we used a Living Social coupon which saved us $25. The food was excellent and the kitchen offers some great specials in addition to what’s on the regular menu. We started off with the shared “Scandavian Platter” which included some great Danish Herring. We like fish so our entrees included the Flounder “Bobbie Kotz” and the Sea Scallops Provencale. Both were great. The restaurant also makes a great martini.

There were 2 things we found disappointing. Since this is primarily a French restaurant you would think they would serve good bread, like a Vie de France baguette. Nope. The bread was average. The 2nd disappointment was also noted by another reviewer. The ringing telephone. The restaurant is small, so I recommend they turn down the ringer during dinner.