“Very loud and warm”

Mussel Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Mussel Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 373 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Description: We serve mussels & frites, wood-fired tarts (Belgian pizzas) with seasonal toppings, grilled meats and fish, salads, soups, sandwiches. As your server about our daily specials, we mix it up! We also have the largest selection of craft and Belgian beers in Bethesda! Happy hour daily with great specials and $1 oysters.
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have lived in Bethesda for several years right up the street from this place but this was my first time there. We went on a Thursday night around 7:00 for dinner. Unfortunately happy hour was still in full swing and there is no separation between the bar and the dining area. We had to yell at each other across the table and I ended up almost losing my voice it was so loud. It was also very warm almost as if the AC was not functioning. Eating steamy mussels in a hot loud bar is not very appealing. I am giving it an average rating not becasue of the atmosphere (which was terrible) but because the wait staff was good and the food was average. The best part of the meal was the crab dip and the warm bread. I had the white wine mussels and they were also average, the sauce could have been tastier. They serve french fries and they were so hard myself and a fellow diner thought we may break our teeth on them. My fellow diner informed the staff and they did bring us some new ones, which were much better, but they should not have been served in the first place in my opinion. We had two waiters and i was very pleased with their service, very attentive, knowledgable about the menu but very hard to hear what they were saying based on how loud it was.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This wasn't our first visit here and we had enjoyed our lunch on one of the outside benches. This time we wanted something simple and light and we were disappointed by the experience. The Italian cold cuts plate I ordered was good though. The real disappointment was that we asked for a second glass of wine and the one we had tried before was not so great and we wanted to change so we asked the waitress to make a suggestion and she recommended the pinot noir, which we found okay. When the bil came, I saw the price of $15 per glass and felt duped. We will not return to this place.

1  Thank HankVienna
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I went to this restaurant on the right night! On Monday nights you can get 1/2 pot mussels, $2 off drafts, and $1 oysters. Needless to say, I pigged out that night.

I ordered 3 oysters and the 1/2 pot of Spicy Thai Mussels. They were so good and hit the spot. Mussel Bar also offers multiple craft beer options which is great to accompany your mussels. When back in Bethesda, I will be back at Mussel Bar.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I made our third visit to this place recently and were not disappointed! Granted, we both enjoy Belgian food, beer and mussels specifically, so this menu is totally up our alley. We each had a beer on draft and shared a meal of 1 appetizer + 1 order of mussels. I understand the comments from others that Mussel Bar is not cheap - we once spent $50 here for a weekday lunch! - but the approach of sharing for dinner worked out great and moderated the cost without leaving us hungry. We had the calamari appetizer which was not fried but rather in an excellent tomato-based sauce, and mussels with mushroom & bacon. At our request they brought wonderful bread still hot - too bad we had to specifically ask for it. The mussels come with frites (Belgian french fries) and a mayonnaise trio and were addictive too. Bottom line is I love this place and could eat here anytime. The menu has other options beside mussels if you are with a crowd that includes non-mussel-eaters.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Always a treat for a light bite, their service is a plus and delicious tastes to savor. From salads with fruits, soups with chunks of ingredients to delight the palate to a nice variety of beer brews. Once a mussel fan, we've now tried them four different ways; from delicate wine w garlic to tomato spiced. All great. Treatsville!!!