“Great Thai”

Good for: Families with children
Rockville, Maryland
“Great Thai”
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

Very tasty Thai food, Tom Kha Gai, Chicken Fried Rice and Chicken Penang were excellent, but the Pad Thai was average. Overall, excellent food, great value and ambience. Will definitely go there again.

Rochester, New York
“Nourishing but not stimulating”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Sweet Basil is a welcoming place, features friendly servers and an attractive menu, but seems hesitant to offer the spark and excitement of Thai cuisine to ordinary diners. My entree - a routine Pad Thai dish -was nicely presented but somehow quite unremarkable for taste or spiciness. Compared to other ethic eateries in Bethesda, Sweet Basil seems almost devoid of an ethnic identity in the one meal I had there. If "bland" is too extreme a description, so is "spicy". There was nothing specifically wrong with the meal; but there was nothing specifically noteworthy.

• Visited March 2012
Washington, DC
“Impressive ambiance”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I picked up some carry-out on a Friday night, and the place was quite busy. I attribute much of its popularity due to diners actually being able to carry on a conversation without screaming. They've paid attention to the sound factor, putting carpet on the floor and keeping the background music light and at a very low volume. Lighting was bright so you could read the menu easily.

When I got home and tasted the food it was quite good. So my rating is based heavily on the observed ambiance.

• Visited January 2012
Bethesda, MD
“Lunch Special was outstanding!”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

My wife and I were about to take advantage of the buffet at the Indian restaurant Haandi, located next door, when we notice the lunch special at Sweet Basil - for $10.95. It turned out to be an excellent experience and we will be back. For $10.95 you select a drink, an appetizer, and the main course. My wife had a special Thai tea (which she really liked), the wonton soup and the Pad Kra-Prow Gai. I had a diet coke (which was large), a curry puff pastry, and the Panang chicken. The Pad Kra-Prow was very good, and the Panang was excellent. Overall, this was an excellent lunch...and the price was more than reasonable.

• Visited December 2011
Bethesda MD
“Deservedly fave Bethesda restaurant of someone who tried them all”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

We live in Bethesda and this is one of our favorites too. But my headline refers to an article a few months back in the local "Bethesda Magazine" (if I'm correctly recalling which local publication it was). It told of a Widower who works in Bethesda, and as part of his greiving process, made it a project to dine at every restaurant in town. Since there are almost 200, and the usual restaurant turnover, that was quite an endeavor. But Sweet Basil was his favorite and the one he kept coming back to. It's different enough to pique your interest even if you'd had a lot of Thai, while also being accessible to those who've had none. I don't know where the other reviews are coming from, but the first one is from someone who posted only once in many years; hallmark of a grudge or a competitor's fraudulent review, doesn't jibe with my many meals here, and I'd disregard it. Atmosphere's a little too well-lit for my tastes, but pleasant enough.

• Visited March 2010