“Eggs Michael”

Detroit, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Eggs Michael”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I didn't try it in Bethesda, but I've had it in Michigan. Do you like Eggs Benedict? There ya go. Replace the ham/Canadian bacon with sausage. Switch out Hollandaise for a lovely Sherry and Mushroom sauce. Plop some Lacy potato Pancakes alongside with apple sauce and sour cream. If I were to be sentenced to death tomorrow, I would choose Eggs Michael.

• Visited June 2013

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Stick with the basics”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This an establishment that's been around for a long time. It's very popular on weekends, so you can expect a wait. We were fortunate that we had no wait yesterday, on a perfect spring day. Our service was pleasant, but uninformed, and honestly not very responsive. My wife decided she wanted eggs, bacon and hash browns instead of pancakes or waffles, which are the restaurant's strengths. They were okay, but overpriced compared to similar restaurants. I usually get the buckwheat pancakes, which are hard to find anywhere these days. Yesterday, I wanted to try something different. I asked about the pumpkin pancakes and about one of the day's specials, sweet potato pancakes. My question was whether they actually contain diced pumpkin and sweet potatoes. I was sad to learn that they come straight out of a mix, meaning they are far more highly processed foods than I had previously believed. To me, that says, if you're trying to avoid highly processed foods, to stay away from them. I went with the Swedish pancakes, which I've had before in Sweden, at The Original Pancake House, and even at Idea and enjoyed them. They're supposed to be crepe-like: very thn, almost lacy, but still moist. Mine were cooked to a crisp, there was no moisture left in them, and frankly we were more like thin pretzels than a type of pancake. They resembled no Swedish pancakes I've ever had before. As we ate our breakfasts, we watched people at a neighboring table getting waffles stacked high with fresh berries, and it looked enticing. My conclusion was, stick with the basics. I usually get the buckwheat pancakes there that I can get nowhere else. That's what I'll do next time. My wife usually gets the waffles. That's what she'll do next time. These are both hard to mess up and are far less processed than some of the more esoteric offerings. The coffee was fine and was regularly refilled. It would have been nice if someone had asked, just once, "are you enjoying your breakfast?" or "is your food up to your expectations?" because then it would have been easier to say something.

• Visited April 2014
Rome, Italy
“Just lovely”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

One of my favorite local places to have a lovely meal. A bit too hidden inside the center of the city, it has anyway a welcoming atmosphere, a price range more than acceptable, and personally a cuisine that once in a while is just what you need, with various alternatives of waffles, pancakes, hamburgers, eggs and so on. A must for any resident and for anyone passing by the city, absolutely one of my favorite places.

Visited May 2013
New Milford, Connecticut
“A crowd pleaser everyone enjoyed”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Ate here twice while on vacation to visit family in the DC area. Signage on the street is not the greatest, but if that's the worst you can say about a place, it's pretty good. Unbelievable amount of menu options, and the 7 people in our party all enjoyed our breakfasts. The portions are huge, the portions are reasonable, and though it was pretty crowded, the wait for your meal is fairly minimal.

Visited March 2014
“Selection selection”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

First off friendly staff friendly service from the time you walk in the door.
The selection of pancakes and crepes covered about everything you could think of. Fresh squeezed orange juice good portions fast service great breakfast