“It ain't Texas, but not bad for Maryland”
Review of Hard Times Cafe - CLOSED

Hard Times Cafe
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The five-way veggie chili-mac is real comfort food. Goes great with a pitcher of beer! Fine place to chill with friends.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We're done. The last 3 visits have featured sticky table-tops and bland, lukewarm chili. I'd rather stay home and make my own. It's too bad, because I remember what Hard Times once was.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The wings are great. The chili, specially the 5 way, is plentiful and tasty. The Beer is cold and icy, a treat for those of us who like it cold. The staff remembers repeat customers and treat you like the favorite side of family. A great family atmosphere especially with kids. Good prices too!
Great week day specials too on the price of food.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

After reading the review of the dripping water and burnt grilled cheese I can see why some would not bother with this restaurant. First off I don't blame that reviewer for the poor review. But that was one family and one time.

Since I moved my office to Bethesda I've become somewhat of a regular at many of the downtown restaurants. Hard Times is in my rotation and is one place I go to more often than many of the others. After visiting there over 15 times I can say that this is a good spot. Their salads are great, as are the burgers (discounted on Mondays). Try the root beer on tap, it's really really good.

For a moderately priced meal out this is one of the better places in Bethesda.

Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

Fun place for a good lunch. They had a large enough selection to other a vegitarian chili & a veggie burger.....awesome veggie chili cheese burger!