“24-Hour Concept Great, But Bad Service”
Review of Hamburger Hamlet - CLOSED

Hamburger Hamlet
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

We dined (or tried to) at the new 24-hour Hamburger Hamlet at 10 pm on a Saturday night.

Summary: an interesting 24-hour concept with a broad menu in an attractive setting is sabotaged by poor service. Management: service should be fixed to realize an excellent idea.

Experience: we arrived around 10 pm on a Saturday night in mid-January 2013. Very few tables were occupied. Despite a number of busboys in evidence, no one was available to seat us. After 10+ minutes, during which we deliberated leaving, we flagged down a bus boy and reported that we wanted to be seated. Several more minutes passed while a host or manager was located, and we were seated without urgency.

The same lack of service persisted throughout our dinner. The wait staff vanished for 15+ minutes after we asked for a minute or two more to decide on our order. Requested ketchup was not brought until we had asked a second time. Our burgers were almost fully consumed by the time the ketchup arrived. We noticed another party wandering around waiting to be seated, and we decided against dessert, fearing that it would not be brought.

This is a shame, because the new 24 hour Hamburger Hamlet, now combined with a venerable, Los Angeles-based diner chain, is a great concept. The setting is comfortable. The menu includes eggs, pancakes, burgers, chicken, barbeque and steak. The pies displayed in a case at the entrance look delicious, and the full menu appears to be available 24-7.

While we found the meat in our burgers a little under seasoned, the burgers were thick, juicy, of good quality and cooked perfectly. (That is of course correctable with tableside pepper, salt and-- if brought by the wait staff-- ketchup.) Burger toppings were excellent. Salads and side orders (fries and cole slaw) were very good. Mixed drinks were well-made.

If the service problems are fixed, this 24-7 concept could be a winner. We hope management will attend to this. A bit more flavor/seasoning in the otherwise excellent quality hamburger would also be welcome.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We happened to see this restaurant in a strip mall. We were seated immediately, even though it was a busy Friday night. The hamburgers were very good, and the waitress was attentive. Prices were very reasonable. We also enjoyed their bakery items for dessert. We recommend the southern pecan pie.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Average burgers and wings. Service was pleasant. Won't make the drive again anytime soon. Annoying bug kept flying around our table.

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

I used to eat here all the time as a child. My mother and I would stop here after a day of shopping at Montgomery Mall. This was before Sutton Place Gourmet/Balducci's opened. Anyway, back then it was a fun, lively place that had the best burgers and sandwiches. I decided to take a trip down memory lane and take my son there for lunch after doing some shopping. I should of just taken him to Cheesecake Factory or Pf changs, it prob would have been cheaper. This place was NOTHING like HH of the past. The food was overpriced. The burgers were odd tasting, dry, and small. The drinks were outrageously expensive. The best thing was our server who was nice and attentive. I was so disappointed. My son had saw the Chipotle next door and had wanted to go and I insisted we go here. I should of listened. I just don't see how this restaurant is still opened when there are so many good restaurants in the area with those prices and much better food. I will never go there again and I recommend no one else go unless its 2am and u absolutely need to eat at a restaurant.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

When I was a kid my family loved Hamburger Hamlet, so I gave it two last tries before I wrote this. Everything we tried was terrible. The hamburgers are tasteless, unseasoned and not fresh, The chicken was clearly cut and refrigerated for several days. All of our favorites have been taken off the menu and replaced with easy to cook crud. Even the pies tasted thawed out and processed. I am sad to see this old friend go downhill so drastically. I will not be back !