“Supposedly known for its steaks which were mediocre”
Review of Mon Ami Gabi

Mon Ami Gabi
Reserve with OpenTable
Mon Ami Gabi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 371 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wisconsin
Transit: Mon Ami Gabi is a 10 minute walk from the Bethesda Metro Station.
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I have to say I was pretty disappointed on Mon Ami Gabi. We were in town on business and this was rated #3 in TripAdvisor and highlighted steak, so we decided to give it a go.

On the plus side, we had a great waiter, the ambiance was fun, and they made a great martini with freshly stuffed blue cheese olives. Hence why I did not downgrade it all the way to 1 or 2 stars.

On the negative, the NY strips were about as bland as I have tasted (trust me, I eat a lot of steak and know a good one from a bad one), and the cut was unlike any NY Strip I have had in a high end restaurant: about 3/4" think and about 8" long and 5" wide. I would have sworn it was a crappy cheap sirloin. Very falvorless which is not an attribute I would attribute to a NY Strip.

One of our party had the scallops and thought they were decent.

Cannot recommend for steak here and hence the rating.

2  Thank DarienJim

Reviewed March 20, 2014

A go to neighborhood bistro either before or after the movies whether in Bethesda or Reston. The food is very average and just what one would expect of an American French Bistro. There are the steak frittes (their frittes are terrific, thin and crisp) but the steak is a thin piece of meat with various sauces unless you order the "better" steak at twice the price. The appetizers - the pâté - is very nice as are some salads. And the lunchtime sliced steak sandwich is tasty.

1  Thank Sandy C
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Nice decor and friendly staff don't make up for probably the least French tasting food I have had. How you can serve a cross between potato chips and potato sticks and call it "frites?" Good Grief! And I was served ketchup with these dry, unwieldy chips that can't be eaten with a fork. I asked for a medium rare steak and I got a medium. The bernaise sauce for my steak was cold, flavorless, and had the texture of a pudding. My endive salad had rust edges and the dressing was unevenly distributed so I got a mouthful of tartness under a piece of endive.It was a lovely presentation to get a small wrapped French loaf at your table but I was stunned that the crust was bland. It was the fist time I had bread without flavor. What a formulaic and lazy kitchen! My bill with tip came to almost $60 for a glass of wine, steak & chips, & a salad. Mon Dieu!

2  Thank QualityRules2014
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Although always busy, best to have a reservation, we make Mon Ami Gabi our anniversary destination every year. Great French steak dishes, yummy appetizers and desserts are to be served. A limitless loud because they are always full, but worth it. It is our special meal in the Bethesda area.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Mon Ami Gabi is a great local restaurant. The food is consistently good. Don't miss the French onion soup! It is fabulous!
Service is great. They make you feel welcome.
I recommend it highly.