“another hit from Blacks”

Black's Bar & Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Black's Bar & Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 360 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Norfolk
Transit: Three blocks from the BETHESDA METRO.
Takoma Park, Maryland
“another hit from Blacks”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Like BlackSalt, the staff is incredibly well trained. We had fabulous food in a unhurried, friendly, and totally young and polite style. I recommend all the food without reservation.

Visited September 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Mediocre Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Service was extremely poor on our visit this evening. Everything took 15 minutes, ordering, bill, receipts, etc. We ordered a $65 bottle of wine and was told they were out. Their recommendation was a $90 bottle--"sorry that's the best we can do." We passed on the recommendation and wanted to try a couple other wines And was told--"oh, a taste is $8." Where do you go that charges for a taste? They agreed not to charge and we ordered one of the more modestly priced bottles for the table. The wine manager brought another bottle, about $20 more, and began opening it until I pointed out it was the wrong bottle. Poor communications or bait and switch. Nevertheless, it was frustrating.

On to the food, the mussels were less than fair. They had a strange taste, almost like a chemical. The fish stew, which I've had before wasn't just tasteless it was bad. $27 for two pieces shrimp, one scallop, a few chunks of funky fish, and two piece of toast? Really disappointing. My wife's steak was way overcooked--medium well vs medium rare and the asparagus was cold and crunchy--aka undercooked. I mentioned the problem with the asparagus and my waitress took it away but it was still on the bill.

Since the meal was so poor we decided to grab a cake at Safeway across the street. So we waited for 30 minutes to get the check and pay before heading home with upset stomachs.

I've had several great meals here. That's why I chose it for this special occasion. Regretfully, it was a huge disappointment. Mon Ami Gabi or the Mussel Bar are heads and shoulders above Blacks in service and food quality.

1 Thank RobBogart
North Providence, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst place for Sunday brunch”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My friend and I took her mom to Brunch on Sunday Sept 8 for her birthday. We ordered the buffet. The shrimp cocktail were not too good. I ordered an omelet from the omelet station with mushrooms, potatoes and cheese. The young man making the omelets wore a ball cap which I thought was a little disrespectful. The spoons were so small to put the ingredients in the omelet that I had one little cube of potato put in it and then no cheese. My friend ordered her omelet and the young man went in the back (maybe to use the restroom) and came back to make her omelet without rubber gloves mind you and put her cheese in with his hands. Our other friend ordered coffee. Twenty minutes later after asking twice for cream received it and her coffe was cold. My friend asked the manager for something with a candle for her mom. Nothing ever came. We did mention it to the waitress and she brought 4 pieces of candy or something to her. Too late. When we received the bill, it was wrong. There was a table behind us and one of the waiters spilled milk on a customers head and down his back. The manager witnessed it and did not even go to the table to apologize. Another table behind us received their food they ordered off the menu and were complaning it was cold and could not identify what was in her breakfast. Also, I went to get some fruit that looked delicous and it was covered, I mean covered in fruit flies. The champagne brunch was about $54 per person. Rediculous for the caliber of food and service we received. I live in Massachusetts and born in R.I. and have many fine restaurants at home and expected a lot more from Bethesda. Never to eat here again. Stay away if you are smart.

• Visited September 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best Crab Cake!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I was taken here for lunch by the office I was visiting in Bethesda. We sat in the outdoor seating area which is nice but get a spot under the shade! The inside looked very nice as well.

We had oysters as appetizers and I ordered the Pan Seared Blue Crab Cake for my lunch. Please get this sandwich if you go there because it is so good. I don't even care for cole slaw but it complimented the crab very well.

I was still dreaming about my crab cake sandwich when I got home. I can't wait to go back and order it again!

• Visited June 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Oysters and Clams....”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Lunch at Black's can be a seafood bonanza. Fresh oysters (Malpeques from PEI, Black Salts and assorted Virginia delicacies), fresh little neck and top neck clams and assorted fish. Salads are generous portions and the service is great. Will return.

• Visited July 2013