“Grape not Great”

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
Description: Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We have been here twice. The food is good but not exceptional. The wine list is great but not a value. The servers were stretched. Did we like it tonight? Yes. The dishes were all at least good and played to a foodie palette.

1  Thank innerbum1
There are newer reviews for Grapeseed

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Our dining experience at Grapeseed in early October 2013 was disappointing. While some of the dishes are very good, others are not (avoid, for instance, the pasta with pork and crab; to the restaurant's credit, they discounted that dish from the final bill after I complained.) Even more disappointing was the service and the attitude of the staff. There were 7 of us and, according to the (very) fine print on the menu, that meant an automatic tip of 20%--though the minimal and perfunctory level of service really did not warrant it. Upon leaving, when I asked the manager about the mandatory 20% tip and told him I didn't think the service was that good, he said that legally we were not bound to pay that pre-set tip (even though the waiter, of course, had implied we had no choice). Very disingenuous. When someone in my party called him out on that, the manager got defensive and eventually made some pretty rude remarks: an unpleasant end to a so-so evening. No wonder the place wasn't even half full on this Friday night: people must be discovering there are better places in Bethesda. Grapeseed used to be a really good restaurant, with its original approach to food and wine pairings, and created a lot of buzz after it opened back in the day. No more. It seems as if they have gotten very complacent. To be fair, I did go a few weeks earlier and the meal (and service) were fine (we had a wonderful waitress), so the experience can be hit and miss.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

All of the food was inventive and delicious. The Chocolate Cremeaux was possibly the best dessert I have EVER had!

Reviewed September 30, 2013

we had the exact experience sat. night. including the service. I would think when a restaurant offers a marketing opportunity, that they would want it to be a good experience, so that people would come back and pay retail. our experience was average food at a very high price , with average service.

for the money you could go to a lot of other terrific places

I will say that the gentleman who greeted us was very nice

1  Thank morgel
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We loved dinner! It was quiet on a Monday evening, which was a bonus. The server provided us with just the right amount of attention. The food was cooked and seasoned perfectly - I had the redfish, and my spouse had the filet mignon. The recommended wine pairings were excellent! A must try is the cornmeal fried oysters. Oh my! They were also able to accommodate for a gluten restriction, and they remembered to put a candle on my spouse's dessert! Thank you, staff at Grapevine!