“Excellent and imaginative food”
Review of Grapeseed - CLOSED

Grapeseed
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
Description: Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.
Reviewed October 29, 2012

As others have said, Grapeseed is a great choice for foodies. Not inexpensive but good value for what you get. To cut costs, here's some advice: The beef-tip appetizer is a good-size portion. Go during Restaurant Week (both DC and Bethesda RW are twice/year), look for Groupons, and try their lunch deals, either 12.00 or 18.00 for appetizer and entree.

1  Thank travl4fun2

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Grapeseed never disappoints. Food and service are always excellent. Good wine selection. Shared appetizers and each had delicious entrees. We eat here 5-6 times a year and love it every time.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The good: My filet was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing.
The bad: The horseradish mashed potatoes had no flavor
The ugly: The tomato and mozerella was JV at best. The tomatoes were cut in an unintentional wedge shape and the mozerella balls were clearly purchased from the Giant down the street.

If I pad $50 for this meal it would have been great. Having paid over a hundred I need to write this post to remind myself to stop coming back to this place every couple years!

1  Thank broyer1
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I attended a 20 person business group dinner here and were very impressed by the food and service which was outstanding. The food is excellent and presented creatively. The lead waiter explained each choice thoughtfully in detail so everyone understood the choices clearly and ordering was quick and as we observed very accurate in delivery. I enjoyed the mussels appetizer, the grilled ceasar salad; my wife raved about the gnocchi and we both had the filet which was cooked to our liking and melt-in-your-mouth tender. The only fault to note was the noise level in a room that was perhaps too small for the group size. The restaurant is noted for its wines but as our host made the selections it is best that others comment on that. Would strongly recommend for food quality and service.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A must go to restaurant if you are in Bethesda. Be sure to make reservations for a Friday or Saturday night if you don't want to eat about 8pm. Well worth the wait tho..........My husband and I shared the Fricassee of Wild Mushrooms to start, what a fabulous combination of creamy sauce, mushrooms and polenta! Wow and the goodness continued with the field green salad. My husband had the crispy softshell crab, which he said was outstanding and I had the Norwegian Salmon. My salmon was cooked rare, just the way I like it and the farro salad with the green goddess was tasty. Just enough chew to satisfy. The waiter was polite and efficient. Next time I may ask to be seated at the kitchen counter to observe the cooking. Definitely return for a special occasion.