“Outstanding Service for Group”
Review of Grapeseed

Grapeseed
Ranked #83 of 369 Restaurants in Bethesda
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: between Norfolk and Woodmont
Transit: Grapeseed is located 1/2 mile from the Bethesda Metro stop on the Red Line.
Description: Grapeseed American Bistro is a casual bistro that matches great food and wine together. With anywhere from 80 to 100 wines by the glass and approximately 325 bottle listed, we cater to the novice wine lover and to the experienced. We start with a bottle of wine and pick out the characteristics and nuances of the wine and then award winning Chef Jeffrey Heineman creates a menu item to highlight the flavors of the wine. So come in and relax, have a taste or a glass of wine and try something on our ever-changing menu.
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I attended a 20 person business group dinner here and were very impressed by the food and service which was outstanding. The food is excellent and presented creatively. The lead waiter explained each choice thoughtfully in detail so everyone understood the choices clearly and ordering was quick and as we observed very accurate in delivery. I enjoyed the mussels appetizer, the grilled ceasar salad; my wife raved about the gnocchi and we both had the filet which was cooked to our liking and melt-in-your-mouth tender. The only fault to note was the noise level in a room that was perhaps too small for the group size. The restaurant is noted for its wines but as our host made the selections it is best that others comment on that. Would strongly recommend for food quality and service.

There are newer reviews for Grapeseed

Reviewed August 28, 2012

A must go to restaurant if you are in Bethesda. Be sure to make reservations for a Friday or Saturday night if you don't want to eat about 8pm. Well worth the wait tho..........My husband and I shared the Fricassee of Wild Mushrooms to start, what a fabulous combination of creamy sauce, mushrooms and polenta! Wow and the goodness continued with the field green salad. My husband had the crispy softshell crab, which he said was outstanding and I had the Norwegian Salmon. My salmon was cooked rare, just the way I like it and the farro salad with the green goddess was tasty. Just enough chew to satisfy. The waiter was polite and efficient. Next time I may ask to be seated at the kitchen counter to observe the cooking. Definitely return for a special occasion.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Grapeseed is about food and wine. Each dish on the menu has a recommended coordinated wine. There are also themed flights of wine (e.g., Mediterranean, Southern Hemisphere, Staff Favorites) that you can enjoy with the food which is top notch. We enjoyed appetizers of mussels and gnocchi. Both appetizers were very large portions, the mussels with a flavorful broth and the gnocchi with a lavender cream sauce and duck confit. Soft shell crabs were properly done with a nice crispy crust and flavored with tasso ham. Braised beef short ribs were a bit heavy, but tasted very good. We finished with an excellent lemon grass ice cream and a chocolate mousse that was a bit too light. Drinks included well poured martinis, flights of wines, and a very nice Australian Port. Prices for the food and drink were quite reasonable given the quality; the meal for two cost under $200. Decor is quite modern with some nice rooms in the back that have recently been redecorated. Our waiter was quite knowledgeable about the food and wine. Overall an excellent experience.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

I love this place...definitely off the beaten path, but so worthwhile to go to. The food is delicious, service is terrific and all reasonably priced. We keep coming back to this place!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Attended a business/social dinner here mid-week in the wine cellar private room. It was hit and miss. Pros: Nice atmosphere, food flavor was good, presentation was nice, solid wine list, creative menu, and very well-coordinated staff serving courses for 10 people. Cons: Waiter opened and served a 2nd bottle of same wine without having anyone taste it and he poured it into glasses containing wine from 1st bottle (basically a wine no-no that was sadly ironic in the wine cellar), one dining companion located a long black hair in her entree about 75% of the way through (waiter quickly took the plate away & she declined the offer of having him bring something else), and I had a short white hair in my dessert. The waiter was clearly frustrated and uncomfortable with the hairs in the food, but his demeanor ultimately made the dinner experience even more awkward. Our hosts are relatively frequent diners here and they were upset with how it was handled. I wanted to like Grapeseed more, but the image of a 10 inch black hair held up in the air with food dangling off of it is sticking too strongly for me to go back.

1  Thank seschneids