“Fantastic Pan Asian”

Raku-An Asian Dining & Sushi
Ranked #4 of 372 Restaurants in Bethesda
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Btw Bethesda Ave & Elm St.
Transit: 2 Blocks South of Bethesda Metro Station (Red Line)
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Raku has been around for years and I think it just gets better. In the summer, there is wonderful outdoor seating on Woodmont Avenue under a crown of trees. In the winter, a steaming huge bowl of noodle soup - my favorite. The sushi is very good but for a better selection, I would go to Sushi-ok.
Start with the seaweed salad, a bowl of miso soup, some great maki rolls and then to the vegetable don buri soup. Great food at very inexpensive prices for Bethesda.
Try the sesame ice cream - it is the best way to finish off a wonderful meal.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

When I moved from NYC, I had a hard time to find a good Japanese restaurant in Maryland that I can have daily lunch. Then my wife recommended me this one. It is very good for a lunch. We usually would have lunch there if we were in Bethesda area.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I went two times this month. The first time I went I really liked it so I went with another friend a week later. Both times were for lunch. The first time we ate outside and the service was impeccable. The second time we ate inside and the waiter was very inattentive and we waited a long time for our food.

The first time I had a Bento Box with chicken teriyaki. It was excellent. The Bento box was preceeded by miso soup which was unremarkable. The Bento Box came with 4 or 5 sections filled with food. One section contained a very nice salad with ginger dressing. Another had an excellent cooked cold vegetable medley with eggplant, one section came with six California rolls, and the last with the chicken teriyaki which itself was excellent.

The second time I ordered the Bento Box with shrimp and vegetable tempura. Same miso soup. When the food finally came, there was the same salad (no complaints) and a version of the vegetable melange that just wasn't as good--not cooked and seasoned as well. The tempura was average, and a bit oily, to my surprise. 2 pieces of shrimp and the rest vegetables.

No rice was served with the food which came as a surprise. I had excellent tea the first time but just water time two.

I rated the food and service as average based on the second visit. Perhaps you will be lucky and get our first waitress and order the chicken teriyaki! I don't know what else changed but maybe they switch chefs??? I will likely go back, but not for a while.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

We dined twice at Raku during our stay in Bethesda. The food was excellent: good execution of Pan Asian cuisine and the sushi dishes were delightful. Service was excellent and the wine list was perfect for the type of meal.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Always fantastic. love the food. love the sushi. no complaints. Make a reservation or you will wait a long time to get in.