WINNER WONDERLAND

“Friendly atmosphere and good tapas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 347 Restaurants in Bethesda
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Transit: We are walking distance from the Bethesda Metro Station on the Red Line.
Massachusetts
“Friendly atmosphere and good tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Bethesda has many excellent restaurants, and few average ones. I want to Jaleo with few colleagues (12) on a Thursday. No reservations. The place was pretty busy at 7PM, but they prepared a long table promptly. We started with sangria. The red is OK, I had many before, and this one was not outstanding. However, the prosecco sangria was very very good. We then asked for an option of samplers. There were two levels of # of courses, we went for the smaller. The chef would pick a set of dishes to try. Needless to say that all of them were very good. Few were my choice in the excellent group: a spinach, apple, pinenuts sautee dish, the ensalada rusa (childhood memories), jamon iberico, and tortilla con chorizo colorado. The "small sample" was more than enough. We were full before the last two courses arrived, but tried them because they tasted great. Lastly, the dessert was either chocolate mouse or flan. The moose was excellent. The flan outstanding. light, not eggy, and with a smooth consistency. I look forward coming back to Jaleo during my next trip to Bethesda.

Visited July 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Delicious tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a very good restaurant - quite different to the Tapas restaurants in Europe, but good nonetheless. The food was delicious, the staff were helpful and the price was reasonable for the quality of the food. The sangria was lovely. Will definitely return next time I'm in the area.

1 Thank Alison T
Reston, Virginia
“tasty tapas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pluses: great location, loads of seating, takes reservations, food is great!
Minuses: The person who picked up plates was a total vulture and I felt like she was hovering over us. I realize plates need to be cleared, especially while eating tapas, but I don't want to be asked 2 or three times if I'm done with something.

Last night, my friends and I ate outside. I highly recommend eating outside if the weather is nice and you like people watching. Service (other than the plate vulture lady) was just as good as when I've eaten there inside. I've never had a bad dish there. Highlights were the fennel/apple/manchego/walnut salad and the asparagus with romanesco sauce. Other notably tasty things at the table were rabbit confit and beet salad.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Charleston, South Carolina
“What happened to Jaleo?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I had our first date here about 6 years ago and frequented the restaurant until one time we ordered a special that was $14 dollars - a very thinly sliced scallop! And that was the end of that! So last evening when we met a friend we suggested going back and giving them a try and what a mistake. It is still pricey, but before they were good, now everything was just mediocre to terrible. The drinks were innovative, but pricey. However, the food (where it used to be wonderful) was simply tasteless. We ordered fried dates with bacon - the bacon was limp, the breading overdone, and soaking in oil. The calamari wasn't bad, but not extraordinary. The shrimp used to be the bomb, but now they've changed the sauce and it had no flavor. The gazpacho was plain awful - mealy, bland, oily with no texture! The chicken was so-so. We were stupid enough to try and salvage it with dessert only to get a rice pudding that was inedible! Too tart, too sweet, too something that just didn't add up. For the price and the mediocrity, I simply won't return. Too bad, but there are simply too many other options in the area to wallow in "just eh"!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Amman, Jordan
“The service is slipping if you sit outside”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have been going here for many years and it is a great Spanish Tapis place in Bethesda. Since it was nice out, we asked to sit outside as inside it was packed. That was a mistake as we had to wait a long time for service and when it came it was less than desirable. We ordered drinks and our first tapis plate came out before our drinks, no bread and it went on like that for a while. The food is still very good and we will go back, however, given the competition from the plethora of other choices in Bethesda, the management would be well advised to keep the clients sitting outside accommodated. They also should check out the tables as mine was broken and tilted a lot due to a broken strut underneath the top.