“tasty tapas”
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 373 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Transit: We are walking distance from the Bethesda Metro Station on the Red Line.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Pluses: great location, loads of seating, takes reservations, food is great!
Minuses: The person who picked up plates was a total vulture and I felt like she was hovering over us. I realize plates need to be cleared, especially while eating tapas, but I don't want to be asked 2 or three times if I'm done with something.

Last night, my friends and I ate outside. I highly recommend eating outside if the weather is nice and you like people watching. Service (other than the plate vulture lady) was just as good as when I've eaten there inside. I've never had a bad dish there. Highlights were the fennel/apple/manchego/walnut salad and the asparagus with romanesco sauce. Other notably tasty things at the table were rabbit confit and beet salad.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I had our first date here about 6 years ago and frequented the restaurant until one time we ordered a special that was $14 dollars - a very thinly sliced scallop! And that was the end of that! So last evening when we met a friend we suggested going back and giving them a try and what a mistake. It is still pricey, but before they were good, now everything was just mediocre to terrible. The drinks were innovative, but pricey. However, the food (where it used to be wonderful) was simply tasteless. We ordered fried dates with bacon - the bacon was limp, the breading overdone, and soaking in oil. The calamari wasn't bad, but not extraordinary. The shrimp used to be the bomb, but now they've changed the sauce and it had no flavor. The gazpacho was plain awful - mealy, bland, oily with no texture! The chicken was so-so. We were stupid enough to try and salvage it with dessert only to get a rice pudding that was inedible! Too tart, too sweet, too something that just didn't add up. For the price and the mediocrity, I simply won't return. Too bad, but there are simply too many other options in the area to wallow in "just eh"!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We have been going here for many years and it is a great Spanish Tapis place in Bethesda. Since it was nice out, we asked to sit outside as inside it was packed. That was a mistake as we had to wait a long time for service and when it came it was less than desirable. We ordered drinks and our first tapis plate came out before our drinks, no bread and it went on like that for a while. The food is still very good and we will go back, however, given the competition from the plethora of other choices in Bethesda, the management would be well advised to keep the clients sitting outside accommodated. They also should check out the tables as mine was broken and tilted a lot due to a broken strut underneath the top.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Believe it or not, this was my six year old grandson's birthday choice. We had reservations, which on a Saturday night would be highly recommended. You should figure two to three plates per person, as the tapas is served in different portions. There is an extensive wine and drink list. The food is well prepared and tasty, it comes out fresh from the kitchen. We had ham croquetas very tasty, mussels fantastic, enough for two to share. A fried seafood pasta, that was just soso, chorizo with mashed potatoes, tasty, fried calamari okay, and a tortilla, egg and potato, okay. My grandson also ordered a beef slider, which he enjoyed very much. The desserts are worth saving some room to order. We had the chocolate flan, very rich, for the chocolate lover. Apple Charlotte, with vanilla ice cream, was amazing. I have to say, the check can add up very fast, so you better not be on a budget. The only real complaint is the descriptions aren't really specific, don't be afraid to ask your waiter. Bon Appetit!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have been here several times as well as the original once in DC. I prefer the DC location even though we live in Bethesda but both are fine for a special evening or lunch but not for your middle class family experience. We took a friend to lunch her this week and for 3 of us (no alcohol) the tab was over $100.00 with tip.