“Overpriced & rushed”
Review of Jaleo

Jaleo
Reserve with OpenTable
Jaleo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 366 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Transit: We are walking distance from the Bethesda Metro Station on the Red Line.
Bethesda, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced & rushed”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The food is good, but not great....I love tapas, but this does not have the feel of a true Spanish tapas bar...the place is too big, too noisy, and too rushed. It feels like they are all about "turning tables", unlike in Spain.

Visited January 2012

New York, New York, United States
“Excellent food paired with below average service”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had dinner with some friends from the west coast, a couple of whom had eaten at the Washington DC restaurant recently and were enthusiastic about the food. The signature Gambas Al Ajillo (shrimp in garlic sauce) lived up to its reputation, the sauce is exquisite and we were all dipping bread to capture every last drop. We also liked the Patatas Bravas (are you even allowed to eat tapas without this dish?), which had a nice kick of spice to them. It was paella festival week, so we ordered the basic dish, made from rice, not pasta. Again it was very good. The deserts were less successful, my sorbet was OK but the rice pudding was unappealing. The restaurant wasn't busy (a rainy Monday evening) and we were disappointed by the inattentive and lack luster service. The waiter kept disappearing and when we ordered a bottle of wine it took ages to arrive. Considering the price and reputation, this was a let down. Would I go again? Yes, probably because I'd like to explore the menu more but I would not want to be parking on a meter!

• Visited September 2012
“New menu, same great food”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We recently visited jaleo in Bethesda again and found that they had added a number of things to the menu, including two oyster items and some larger entrees. We tried some of the new choices and they did not disappoint. They were uniformly excellent. We like the White Sangria and always order 4-5 items to share. We ordered the new scallop item twice it was so tasty.
The outside seating is fun to people watch and we see that they are now offering cooking classes which sound interesting. Go check out the new menu.

• Visited September 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply delicious”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Jaleo doesn't disappoint. I've been going for years and really enjoy seeing new things on the menu. Though I always recommend the picquillo peppers stuffed with goat cheese and any chorizo dish. Another favorite is Homemade grilled pork sausage with
sautéed white beans. Truly you can't go wrong. Great food. Great drinks. Lively ambience, yet quiet enough for conversation

Visited July 2012
Washington, DC
“Not as good as it used to be...”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have been to Jaleo many times, both in DC and Bethesda, but more frequently the Bethesda location. I used to love these restaurants, but it seems the tapas have gotten a little less interesting over time and the sangria seems pretty weak. On one of my most recent visits I tried one of their cocktails instead and it was way too strong. My last visit, I took a friend visiting from NYC because she really wanted to try one of Jose Andres's restaurants, and she was pretty underwhelmed. The restaurants are also pretty loud and the tables can be pretty close together.

Visited December 2011