“Crispy Orange Eggplant, yummy!”

Foong Lin Restaurant
Ranked #82 of 380 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I had the most delicious dish here the other night. Crispy orange eggplant. It was pure heaven. Usually "crispy" dishes are not good as leftovers, but I just ate this one, and although it was no longer crispy, it was wonderful. This restaurant has amazing food, wonderful service, great value and one of the fewer and fewer family owned Chinese restaurants left in the area. I miss those wonderful Chinese restaurants of my childhood! Hopefully, Foong Lin will be around for another 30 years or so.

Reviewed June 4, 2011

Slightly different review from me to normal, as I left (walked out) before eating due to the service and lukewarm food served. Has a few veggie options, chose a tofu dish. It arrived very quickly, as seems to be the way with many Bethesda restaurants, which to me, as an Englishman who would rather wait for properly cooked fresh food, suggests one of 2 things. 1) the food is cooked in advance and left to stand,or 2) it's not cooked properly. My food arrived and even the sauce was only lukewarm so I asked for it to be heated up. It came back at the same temperature, so I left and found a much better Chinese restaurant nearby. I travel to Bethesda regularly and will never return to this restaurant.

Reviewed June 3, 2011

"Authentic Chinese Food" is almost impossible, because authentic to you might not be authentic to me...as China is a huge country with all kinds of food traditions...and as you might know your mom's authentic apple pie is not the same as my mom's or as good...in any case, I have travelled widely in China and love almost all Chinese food exept Shangainese, which happens to be the most refined, I find that it is too balnd and sweet for my taste. I love Foong Lin because it serves good honest Chinese food as authentic as you will find in America or perhaos even in many places in China. Their food does not come from a bag or is it nuked. They have a fried beef that is out of this world, it is crunchy and tasty. I have recently had Chinese Food in the Chinatowns of NYC, Washinton DC, and Philadelphia and I can honelty say that this restaurant in Bethesda could take them all on. I wish I had them in my town.

On the downside...the Restaurant needs a makeover...but then again what Chinese restaurant doesn't?

1  Thank baygirl000
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My family of four typically enjoys a visit to foong lin. The service is friendly and efficient. The mango shrimp special is quite good. It is pretty standard but well prepared chinese fare otherwise.

Reviewed June 30, 2010

I've been cooking Chinese for 40 years, and I like things prepared in the authentic manner. Unfortunately, there's often a lot of pressure on restaurant owners to modify things to suit the prevailing tastes. Foong Lin is in an area with very few Chinese or Asian customers, as you will realize when you find knife&fork on the table with no chopsticks, a glass of ice water comes automatically (and not tea, for which you must ask.) The menu shows a specialization in seafood, and our two seafood items seemed to be fresh. The owner is from Hong Kong, so the menu's predominant Szechwan dishes will be cooked in a Cantonese style. Ma-Po Tofu will have pork as an ingredient, not an aromatic flavoring, and will be drier than the standard. The black bean sauce (on scallops) will be less pungent than is perhaps normal. The shrimp and asparagus, described on the menu in hard-core Cantonese terms, will have a generous flavoring of fresh sliced ginger. All 3 dishes were served barely lukewarm, but when the owner asked and we told him, he immediately removed them and we quickly had piping hot food. The dishes were good, but were not what was expected. I can't recommend this place, because my friends expect me to recommend food as authentic as I'd serve at my own table.