“So So”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Toronto, Canada
“So So”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Remembering the great dinner I had at another location, I was delighted to discover a Houston's during a recent visit to Bethesda. Other than the dark wood shutters, this location bears little resemblance to that other one. We reserved for 7, arrived on time, only to be told we'd have to wait for 15 minutes! We were told this was their custom. So we hung around the jazz trio...the bar was too crowded, only to be called for our table immediately! What's that about? We were taken far away from the music, past numerous empty tables for two, to the farthest side, where several families with small, very active children and a crying baby were ensconced. I have nothing against family dining and think its a smart move for a large establishment to set aside an area for it, but then why would you deliberately seat an older, well-dressed couple amidst the chaos when there are more suitable alternatives?
The food came fast and furious...we shared a Caesar salad and dinner of ribs. Neither were split for us but, instead, an empty plate was plunked down in front of my husband each time and we had to divvy it up without any serving pieces. At several other places in the area, our shared food was plated for us and we were offered extra veggies for a small charge.
All hell was breaking loose in the booth next to us where two young mothers tried, in vain, to cope with five yelling kiddies while their husbands sat in a booth behind us, enjoying themselves. Occasionally, the youngsters ran over to their dads in the way of the servers. Very exciting floor show.
Very noisy. Couldn't hear the jazz band at all!
As for the food....salad was drenched in dressing, lettuce limp and warm, croutons soggy. The ribs were just ok, not as good as the other location, and kind of skimpy. The fries were cold and thrown over part of the coleslaw. Not great.
We were very disappointed, to say the least. We skipped dessert and coffee just to get out of there.
When I mentioned the seating issue, the hostess apologized in an indignant tone and clearly insinuated that it was my own fault for not insisting on a change. I told her we had already ordered by the time I realized the problem and our waiter was conscientious, I didn't want to make a fuss. "I apologized!" she announced. Real amateurish.
It's interesting that they were keeping so many people waiting in line, outside in the heat, even though they had free tables. Strange policy.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank tgtoronto

Bethesda, Maryland
“This is a decent Houstons”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Yes - this is part of the Houstons chain. Since they closed the one on Rockville Pike, this is my only option. I love the Thai Steak salad, the roasted artichokes and the steak. Never had a bad meal here. Eating at the bar is a great option and they will take care of you.

I do think the chef that was at the Rockville Pike location was better but overall the food is great.

• Visited April 2013
Toronto
“Delicious Steak Salad”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I had the Thai Steak salad but asked for the house vinagrette on the side as I don't like spicy food. I thought the salad was outstanding. The Mango and Avocado were the perfect degree of ripeness and the crispy noodles added the right amount of texture. I love the atmosphere of this restaurant - I feel like I'm in Vegas with the Rat Pack. Prices have jumped since the last time I was there 6 months ago. But since the food was excellent, I didn't mind paying more.

• Visited June 2013
“If you're in for steak's and ice cold salad's. This is the place!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

3 day old pineapple marinated rib eye steaks are absolutely delicious! Add a side of Caesar salad and your done :) oh try out their grilled artichokes with dip and tortilla spinach dip as well :) yummy!

• Visited June 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
“Limited Menu”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The ambiance of the restaurant is nice, I ordered a Cobb Salad with no avocado and the salad came with avocado which I picked through. The staff was very attentive and the choices are few. Parking for a fee is located next to the restaurant. I would rate the service higher if my order was correct.

• Visited May 2013