“It's Not Cape Cod...but it's damn close”

Luke's Lobster Bethesda
Ranked #46 of 373 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Hands down the best Lobstah Roll we ever ate was at the Black Cat Cafe in Hyannis, MA. A ton of all claw meat on a buttered roll. We still dream about it. Luke's was recommended by a New Englander who had been to the Black Cat, so we decided to give them a try. We had the lobster bisque (meh, 2 tiny pieces of lobster in a very think soup) and the lobster roll. The roll was excellent. All claw meat, minimal mayo, nicely seasoned on a lightly toasted, buttered roll. Would totally go back and try their other 'rolls'. The Bethesda location has counter service only with outside tables. Friendly staff and prompt service. Kinda pricey for what you got, but my husband had a Lobster roll at Legal Seafood that was half the meat but twice the price, so Luke's is a decent value. We wish they would offer more than just chips as a side.

1  Thank lutzboy

Reviewed June 17, 2014

I've been here more than 20 times and it just keeps getting better! I got married in Maine but Luke's lobster rolls are better than any I've had in Maine. Their service is stellar and their made in Maine soft drinks are worth getting fat over!

1  Thank Beth K
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Luke's is an absolutely must-try. I first had it from a food truck set up at District Flea in D.C, and I am hooked! This location in Bethesda Row is TINY. Cute place, very small, counter seating, and tables outside. I have never eaten there, as I just take it to go. The menu is small, but you can't go wrong with any of the choices. If it is your first time, get the taste of Maine. It gives you half of each of the following: crab roll, shrimp roll, and lobster roll, comes with 2 ready to eat crab claws, a pickle, your choice of chips, and a soft drink for about $23. My favorite of the three is the lobster roll, but the crab and shrimp are great also. All of the rolls are garnished the same, which is just perfect. The lobster roll by itself seems like a lot of money for a seemingly small portion ($15), but the lobster is rich and filling. I could definitely eat 3 in one sitting, but one roll plus chips and a drink is enough. The crab roll is about $12 and the shrimp is about $8. Also, there is a grilled cheese, which i will be trying on my next trip, and soups. There is always New England clam chowder, but the last time I went, they had lobster bisque, which I ordered. I love lobster bisque, and this one was just about perfect. It was very rich and creamy, but the texture was a little "grainy" for my preference. Served with oyster crackers. I believe you can add chips and a drink for $2 (might be $3). Three varieties of cape cod chips, kettle cooked, barbeque, and sea salt and vinegar. Soda fountain has a few choices, all but one are from a Maine based company, and then there is diet coke. My favorite, as well as everyone else's ( that's how it seems!) is the blueberry, and I'm not even a huge fan of blueberry to start with! Beer is also available, but again, I've never had it as I've always gotten carryout, but it looks like you can sit outside and drink it if you would like. I have never been disappointed coming here. It is never extremely crowded, it is very clean, quick, and the staff has always been very helpful and friendly. Tip them! ALSO..... Ask for a "lobsta mobsta" stamp card. I believe it is one stamp per every roll you purchase, the other details are on the card. Once you get 10 stamps, you get a free roll! I'm about halfway through, it is not difficult to fill up! Parking in Bethesda row is not fun, but I usually take the metro, which is pretty close (as I live in Rockville town center.) if you do decide to drive and want carryout, call ahead, Luke's does curbside pickup! All in all great. I would eat here every day if I could ( but I would be broke).

1  Thank kfisher91
Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

I ordered the lobster roll and it was great. You just walk up to the counter and order. No fuss. You can eat outside or take it back to hotel. It was a bit pricey. I paid 18.00 for a lobster roll and a water. The lobster roll wasn't big. Delicious but small portions.

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Small restaurant in the main Bethesda restaurant/shopping area. If you can get past the crazy parking situation, Luke's is worth it. Not cheap, but well worth $17 for a top flight lobster roll. Service is fast and eating outside on the benches is a good way to dine. There's about 25 restaurants within a 1,000 yard radius -- if you want fancy, go somewhere else. For an authentic lobster roll, this is the place.