“Hate to be "crabby"” 2 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
San Diego
“Hate to be "crabby"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Went out for a so called Nice meal and experience a Maryland Crab dinner. This was one of the most awful experiences dining out! The restaurant was empty and we ordered 4 all you can eat crab dinners The crabs were so small there was was hardly any meat on them. There were many bad crabs in the bunch!
We also ordered fish and chip which were the worst fish and chips I have ever had Couldn't even eat it they were so disgusting! Soggy french fries and soggy onion rings Again uneatable!
We also go charged an 18% gratuity for 6 people!
What a waist of time and money!
Find someplace else to go definitely not worth it

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kallisonSD

Silver Spring, Maryland
“Great food...Great Service!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Some of these reviews are laughable. I was there yesterday with my lady and I'm not sure if I've ever had better service anywhere! I'm about 99% sure the packed house there around the same time would agree.
Let's start with the food: We did the all-you-can east crab feast which came with unlimited grilled corn on the cob and the thickest, thick-cut fries we've ever seen. Both were delicious. The crabs were good as well; not steamed too much as to make for a mushy meat but enough so that you know they've been cooked.
The set up of the place has something of an old school down south feel to it; nothing fancy but again it's a crab shack, not Chez Maurice's.
For me personally, food has to always be great at a restaurant of any kind but let's be honest...any Joe Schmo can season some meat and throw it on a grill or hook up a sensible batch of crustaceans. What separates one establishment from another are the two key ingredient that most lack......HEART and SOUL. This place is overflowing with both.
We noticed as we were eating, a gentleman who seemed to be all over the place. He was greeting people, taking orders, refilling drinks, emptying shell buckets, shaking hands...pretty much everything except back massages. He along with the rest of the staff made sure our needs were met quickly and accurately. As we were leaving, I introduced myself thinking he was a mere manager. Turns out, this guy was the owner. I thanked him for the service and made it clear that this is how a spot should be ran. Trey, thanks again and I look forward to coming back often!

Washington, DC
“Heed the negative reviews ... I did not :-(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

It has been my experience that sometimes the food can overcome major flaws in a restaurant's operation. Sadly Steamers DID NOT fall into that category! Please do not repeat my error and avoid this debacle, of a so called "Seafood House/Crab Shack", at all costs and have a nice meal elsewhere! I visited Steamers on my birthday (reservations on Tues. at 5:45pm made over a week in advance!) with four family members who all ordered off the menu except myself, who expressly chose Steamers too pick crabs on my birthday. I ordered a dozen "large as you have" crabs and proceeded to wait and wait for my order (note: the restaurant was relatively empty). Some 30 minutes later the server comes to the table and says they are "expecting some larger crabs" and they will be out soon, to my chagrin the rest of my family are well into their entrees! Thirty minutes later, still no crabs, my family has finished their entrees, and I notice the adjacent table of two, sat 45 minutes after ours (again w/no crabs), was eating crabs!! The server returns and says "they are almost ready"?? I asked how is it that the adjacent table is halfway through a dozen crabs? I was told "they ordered small crabs". Needless to say I lost it and asked for the check, and prepared to leave immediately. The manager never made an appearance and the server handled the situation horribly and did not offer me anything (e.g., App., couple of small crabs, something?) during the whole ordeal.

Based on my experience at Steamers I would have to evaluate the myriad negative reviews of Steamers as much too kind!

In hindsight there were a few warning signs that I did not heed, the numerous "terrible" service reviews, when making the reservation was asked if I was bringing a "Groupon" (I was not, but why would that matter for a reservation, especially on a Tuesday??), the large "Happy Hour til' 8pm" sign out front - but when our drink orders were taken, told HH only at the "laughable" bar (a postage stamp sized bar that might fit patrons 7 tops!). The final telltale sign to be had was after being seated - I observed a large party come in and then be shuffled between two rooms of this nearly empty restaurant, as our server stopped in mid-sentence to run over and direct them to another station; then return to the initial station 10 minutes later, a terrific start for them!

Please don’t say you were not warned. I can't! ;-)

3 Thank JAB611
Mineola, New York
“Not sure why the bad reviews....never had a bad experience there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

As New Yorkers, we venture down to the DC area every year, usually on Memorial Day Weekend or July 4th Weekend. Every time we go down, we take one night to go to Steamers for the Crab Feast, and we have never been dissapointed.

Lets face it, it is a bar and crab house, not a fancy restaurant, and its "down home", not upscale. We like that about it. Our kids (7 and 11) can watch the tv's, walk around, or play games (they have a pool table and other things to do). They have good food, we have not had any kind of issues with the quality of the crabs or anything else. The service is good, a little tough when the bar is really busy, but we have never found them to be anything but attentive. By the time we are finished with a tray of crabs, there are always hot ones ready to be put down.

We will definitely be back on our yearly trip!!!

• Visited May 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“Casual, airy and local pub and beachy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Good fresh food and steamers. Friendly service. They have a menue too for non seafood lovers. Fresh. Good local place.

• Visited May 2013