“Peruvian Chicken: It's Become a Thing”
Review of Don Pollo

Don Pollo
Ranked #68 of 391 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 6, 2018

I can't recall when Peruvian chicken became a thing. To my knowledge it wasn't a noted specialty when I traveled there in 1975. But, then, I've been accused sometimes of being oblivious. At any rate, Don Pollo's chicken comes grilled and tasty with a variety of sauces. It's a terrific option for a takeout meal if you're hungry and left everything to the last minute. Our family-friends treated us to a dinner so that, afterward we could take a look at the new condo they bought. Wonderful dinner!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed August 8, 2018

I went for chicken and was not impressed. The pricing was fairly expensive foe a quarter chicken (dark). Unfortunately the chicken was not very good, slightly dry and tough, either overcooked or too long under the heat lamps. Also the portion was very small. On the very positive side the mashed potatoes were very good and there were plenty of them which made the overall experience a decent one.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

This is a great choice for carry out when friends are visiting. The chicken is moist and delicious and the plantains are the best I’ve had anywhere, including the Caribbean. I made a salad to make it a healthier meal, because I haven’t tried their veggie options. Everyone enjoyed the meal and it was so easy and convenient because it can be warmed up easily if there is a delay between picking it up and sitting down to eat.

Reviewed June 12, 2018 via mobile

We just got Don Pollo for take out for dinner the other night. It was very quick and easy. We got the chicken with tortillas and sides. It was fun making up tacos with the rice & beans and sauces. The yuca was cooked well (crispy enough and not soggy), plantains were good, and cucumber salad was a nice light addition. I did end up feeling like there was a little bit of greasiness going in with the chicken and tortillas and at one point I found myself with a little bit of cartilage from chicken. It’s tough being given a quarter chicken and trying to get it cut up the right way for tacos. But, overall a good easy dinner and I can totally tell why this is a go-to family spot.

Reviewed June 10, 2018 via mobile

This place is fabulous! The chicken is moist, the side dishes are delicious, the place is spotless, and the service is fast. If you are craving good food served quickly, this is for you. And it’s cheap!