“Better than ever”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Old Georgetown Road
Transit: Easy Three block walk from Bethesda Metro station. At the top of the escalator turn left slightly and proceed to third traffic light on Old Georgetown Road. Turn right on St Elmo, we are on right hand side at 4926. Multiple public bus stops also within walking distance.
Description: We are a Chef owned seafood focused restaurant in beautiful downtown Bethesda. We feature a daily changing menu and use as many locally sourced products as we can. We maintain a friendly and comfortable dining space that allows our guests to relax and recharge. We approach our restaurant with an appreciation for simplicity, authenticity and connection to our community. We deliver daily with high quality food, spirits and people. Our menus include fresh seasonal seafood at their core. We deliver food that nurtures, delights and reminds people that life is short and to enjoy a great meal more often. Our restaurant delivers a comfortable upscale environment that promotes conversation and connection
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our latest experience at Chef Tony's was better than ever (previous time - last year? - wasn't quite as fine although it WAS good). A 6:00 reservation on the Sunday of a holiday weekend probably helped: the noise level was low (until later) since there were few other diners at that time and we were able to get a table for 4 for the 2 of us instead of the small tables for 2, some of which are rather close together. The ambiance in the back room was nondescript although the skylight near us was a plus. The food was very good, especially the calamari (everyone seemed to order it), grilled Caesar salad, cheesecake and creme brulee desserts. Our mains were salmon pasta with artichokes and shrimp pasta: good (and plentiful) but not outstanding. Our server did a fine job although he was just a bit slow in bringing dessert - and the person refilling water glasses didn't get to us until we were eating dessert. Free parking in the garage across the street and the Groupon for the 3-course dinner (special menu) added to a very good experience. We will definitely return.

Reviewed April 29, 2014

Enjoyed a nice family dinner here. The food was good--very fresh and nicely prepared. They were a little short staffed on a Sunday evening. I wish they had a few smaller offerings in entrees.

ChefTonyMarciante, Owner at Chef Tony's, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for your honest feedback, I read all these personally and it DOES matter. If you could elaborate a little, gifting me the opportunity to improve, I’d really appreciate it. Send an email if you can to cheftony@cheftonysbethesda, and YES, I read them all. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Whenever I think about revisiting Chef Tony's, that scene from "Dirty Harry" pops into my head, in which Clint Eastwood points a gun with an indeterminate number of bullets remaining at a man's head and asks "Are you feeling lucky?"

One thing is certain. You will pay a hefty bill. Everything else is a crap shoot. For example, if you get the waiter we had, you will find him inattentive and forgetful. Or you may get the competent waiter we noticed at the next table. Your food may be delicious, or it may be disgusting; it's not a question of your taste, but one of quality control in the kitchen.

With so many consistent restaurants in the neighborhood, this one is just not worth paying for what amounts to an expensive crap shoot. Give me La Ferme or Mon Ami Gabi over Chef Tony's anytime.

3  Thank winxalot

Trip Advisor is a new platform for my attention, and your creative and point blank review has my attention.

Consistency is the name of the game in my industry, and while I take particular offense to "disgusting" as an option, since you laid it out there, please give me just a moment to understand better what might have caused you to use such a word.

Would you be able to tell me what dish or dishes you had that was so? Did you bring this up to myself or your server? I'm mortified if you did, and we didn't react... things can happen, and while inexcusable, when we know about it, we can react.

With regards to price, I have yet to see a restaurant serving high quality fresh seafood that compares with any of our prices. Caveat emptor, but really...we are known for at least FAIR pricing, and my vendors know me over 15 years, so quality is number one.

I appreciate your time, if you choose to help a small business owner out, my email is cheftony@cheftonysbethesda.com

After 7 years in my home town, and across the globe, I realize we may not always please everyone, but da*n if we won't die trying. Thank you again, I hope to hear from you.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

Waiter was not interested in taking care of us, saw the water attendant more often than the waiter. I thought he was the waiter but we were the ones who waited. Food was very good. Go if you have a lot of time to spend.

1  Thank lamasloonybin

Service is crucial, and while we want to be personable, proper service standards come first. Inattentive waiters frustrate the heck out of me, and I’m embarrassed and outraged that our service felt as such.

Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We came for brunch, my gf ordered the salmon which comes with plantains (one of them was 100% rotten) see the picture I added.

I ordered the steak and eggs, got 3 tiny pieces of over dried flank steak and I ordered it medium (see 2nd pic).

The worst thing in restaurant is that moment when you have a doubt on the integrity and the freshness of the food, that's where my red line is.

Defiantly not worth the prices they are asking. The freshness of the food is questionable. health code issue.

The chef did came by and express his sorry, to his defense. We got 5$ off for next time! Big lol.

I'm not going to return to Chef Tonys.

3  Thank isildur1
ChefTonyMarciante, Manager at Chef Tony's, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

I appreciate your time in writing your review, and please let me address to the best I can.

Did you bring up your "rotten" plantain to the server or manager? We serve a ton of these, and honestly never get word one negative... if one happened to be not to your liking, we'd gladly replace with a full order, no big deal.

The flank steak for brunch is well received, but I know it can be tough if overcooked, I prefer medium rare, and would gladly replace as well.

I've run restaurants for 26 years, and unfortunately we don't hear the guest feedback that could help us know what you need, questioning the safety of the food is unwarranted...personal taste aside, we run out of things regularly as part of our menu strategy, so freshness is paramount.

I'd welcome any other feedback directly, please feel free to email me at cheftony@cheftonysbethesda.com and allow me to invite you back on me...after 7 successful years in Bethesda, we please a lot of guests, and I'd hate for your lasting impression to be so incongruous with most of our others.