WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Panas Gourmet Empanadas - CLOSED

Panas Gourmet Empanadas
Cuisines: Latin, South American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Description: Panas specializes in Latin fusion gourmet empanadas, crescent- shaped turnovers, stuffed with well seasoned combinations of meats, vegetables, spices, fruits, and sweets. Our recipes are inspired by the idea of Latin Fusion cuisine; a culinary concept based on creating new recipes by combining traditional and modern culinary techniques and mixing ingredients from different countries in the Americas. The only empanadas’ tradition we want to preserve is that empanadas a great idea and fun package for food.
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great empanadas, great price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We had just checked into our hotel and wanted to get a good lunch and found this restaurant through the TripAdvisor app. We weren't disappointed! We each got the 3 empanada combo. My wife enjoyed the Popeye (spinach, get it?) and the smoked eggplant. I liked the carne (beef) and chipotle steak versions. The plantain chips with the combo deal were great.

If I went back I'd get the 4 empanada combo instead of the 3 version, because I felt a little hungry immediately after finishing. But later on, walking through the streets of Bethesda, I was happy I ate a lighter lunch!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank kurokitty

Coolangatta, Australia
“Great low cost eatery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stumbled across Panas' down a few stair on P Street in Washington near the DuPont Circle. Excellent selection of empanadas, dipping sauces and salads. To quench your thirst there is also Sangria. The tray of 8 empanadas was very good value and very filling.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Healthy Empanadas are heresy.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I was so excited to try this place out! When I got in, I was wowed by the clean atmosphere, the Latin/salsa music and the friendly employees. I loved that it was like a lounge setting as opposed to your typical restaurant setting. For me, the wow factor stopped there.

When I have empanadas in mind, I think of yummy filling, crispy, buttery, flaky crusts, with every bite that is decadent and luscious goodness. These empanadas were none of that.

I tried the carne, carne asada, and pesto chicken empanadas. The carne was okay, I thought it had a bit too much cumin.
The carne asada was too tough to chew, but I did like the flavor of it. The pesto chicken did not taste like it had pesto, but I think I like that one over the 3 that I tried.
I was not a fan of the dough crusts. To me, it was very tough. I would of liked it deep fried, but that would go against everything healthy, and I think this is what this place was about. To me, this place was just ok. I don't think I will come back though.

• Visited August 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Hit or miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

My friend and I were very excited to try this place out because we don't have anything like it back home. The menu featured a lot of new and exciting flavor combinations and mix-and-match options for 2 or more people. We got our choice of 8 empanadas, the plantain and veggie skewers and the cucumber appetizer (the last two we were hoping to share with my 9.5 month old). Half of the empanadas were tasteless. The shrimp and coconut one tasted old and we didn't finish them. The plantains were green (not maduros, as expected) and were rock hard. All of the veggies were covered in a weird spice that overtook the flavor of the vegetables, and I was not able to serve them to my daughter. The cucumber had such a strong pickled flavor (not indicated on the menu) that we couldn't eat them. Very small portion for the price. However, the idea is creative and they had some good music in the background. Probably won't go back, though. :(

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Take Out Divine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We did take-out of about 12 mostly meat empanadas for a group of 4, and they were PERFECT. The filling of each is stamped in two letters on the edge of each empanada (CA for beef, green olives, hard-boiled eggs, onions and parsley, CS for Chipotle Steak, CP for Chicken Pesto, etc.). Each was better than the one before: fresh ingredients, great combinations of flavors, and interesting sauces, too. One of the best parts is that you pick things up cold and bake them at home for a minute per empanada, so everything is hot & fresh. Highly recommended for take-out.

• Visited July 2013