WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Panas Gourmet Empanadas - CLOSED

Panas Gourmet Empanadas
Cuisines: Latin, South American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Description: Panas specializes in Latin fusion gourmet empanadas, crescent- shaped turnovers, stuffed with well seasoned combinations of meats, vegetables, spices, fruits, and sweets. Our recipes are inspired by the idea of Latin Fusion cuisine; a culinary concept based on creating new recipes by combining traditional and modern culinary techniques and mixing ingredients from different countries in the Americas. The only empanadas’ tradition we want to preserve is that empanadas a great idea and fun package for food.
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Welcoming atmosphere and excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I only got to the P Street location but went back many times. Staff were so friendly and willingly offered advice to a novice empanada-eater. My favorites were the Chicken Pesto, Smoked eggplant and Popeye (spinach). The Salsa Verde (green) and the Pimento sauce were my personal favorites. Good selection of beers on offer as well but my personal favorite was the Chilmes brew from Argentina. Well done to a stunning team of people who are looking after a great concept.

• Visited August 2012

London
“Great cheap, fast food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Wednesday evening 1st August 19:25 From this point on I write as I enjoy. (Thank you Mr Larson)

Like others this review is for the P Street location, it would be nice if Trip Advisor could set up a separate page for such reviews

I'd actually walked past this place, looked in but kept walking as it looked too antiseptic. Got back to my room at Hotel Palmar down the road and hit Trip Advisor for where to go for a quick bite. Reading the reviews it seemed a must do.

The place is busy, they could probably squeeze in a couple more tables, which would make it tight but I can think of lots of other places that would. Also it might stop people leaving because it lookes like there were no tables free. This happened a couple of times while I was waiting. This is a shame, those who left missed a good simple meal at an exceptional price.

They have a really nice touch of embossing the initials of each empanada with a two letter code to say indicate what is as they all look the same.

Not sure what the house white wine was but it was delightful slightly sparkling, very fruity a little sweet, not dry but did a nice little dance on my tongue. One tiny suggestion would be as it is finger food they should deliver paper napkins with the food rather than customers having to get them.

Great value and nothing not to like here, finished this review as I finished the meal.

• Visited July 2012
Adjuntas, Puerto Rico
“Good empanadas in Bethesda”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

I’ve been there twice and for some reason my first experience was good but my second time there which was over the weekend, was way better. Of course this depends on which empanada you end up choosing. I went with a friend and ordered a “parranda” which has 8 empanadas with 4 dipping sauces and plantain chips ($14?). I tried the pork, the brie and veggies, the eggplant and the tuna. The brie and veggies and the eggplant empanadas were the best, the other two were also good but nothing special. The sauces and the plantain chips added a great touch. It will be great if they had dessert empanadas. The service was attentive and quick and I think they have a lunch special of 3 empanadas and chips for $6.50 (?). I love empanadas and it’s good to have this option in Bethesda.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Flavor sensation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

You might think a few appateezers were a low-cal meal. Certainly not true of Panas. That's the main drawback of an otherwise great lunch place.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Copenhagen, Denmark
“I give it a five star!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I found this cool place by chance (as it is slightly, just slightly, off the maine grid) and boy, am I glad I found it! The staff was friendly and the ambience was special (great interiors and fantastic live music) and the best part were their empanadas and their sauces! Absolutely delicious!

Visited June 2012