“Too much bread for this bedside manner”
Review of Le Pain Quotidien

Le Pain Quotidien
Ranked #73 of 371 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Le Pain Quotidien serves simple, elegant boulangerie fare made with organic ingredients whenever possible: breakfast, tartines, pastries and handmade organic bread & many vegan and vegetarian options.
Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I, vacationing in the Washington, D.C. area, strolled by Le Pain Quotidien one evening and, drawn by the array of bakery items, decided to try it for breakfast the next morning. Our experience was living testament that first impressions can be misleading.

Le Pain boasts that the chain is "passionate about quality." Well, it's certainly not passionate about quantity or customer service, at least in our instance. We were seated outside by one waiter. Another couple came after us and, with a different waiter, had its coffee before our order was taken, got its meal before our coffee arrived, and checked out soon after our meal came.

I had a pint-sized Belgian waffle with fruit, but had to ask for syrup and then waited several minutes for it to arrive. We both ordered coffee, but learned that the smallest quantity was a "pot," which had the capacity of maybe a large cup but cost $3.25. My wife had an omelet, which was at room temperature by the time it arrived. Not surprisingly, I had to flag down the waiter for our check. We were done after about 50 minutes, and our tab for the waffle, omelet and two coffees came to $25.92.

If you want European ambiance, fine, but if you are looking for value and good service, look elsewhere.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

i am from france and was with some friends at le pain quotidien at wildwood for brunch.
the restaurant is clean, the employees were very upbeat, the food excellent and a great manager.
i was delighted when i found out that a lot of the employees are bilingual. I even have the pleasure to speak french with one of the manager.
Great restaurant.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Got a selection of micro mini tarts ( good idea, sometimes you just want a little taste!) croissants, pastries and brioche rolls. All good, but especially recommend the brioche rolls--just sweet and moist enough without being gummy.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Have eaten here and at the new Wildwood location several times with my wife and with friends, and PQ never fails to please. The food is really good, the menu gives you the approximate amount of calories in the meal, the servers are friendly and efficient, and the ambiance is very, very pleasant. They serve you a small pot of coffee, which is nice because you can reheat your cup any time you feel like it. Both regular coffee and latte are served in oversized, handleless cups that are fun. I especially enjoy the tartines (basically, open-faced sandwiches that attractively arranged on the plate). Among my favorites are the ricotta with figs and honey, ham and gruyere, and roasted turkey and avocado. The prices are quite reasonable.
Give it and its sister restaurants a try.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am vegan and Le Pain Quotidien in Bethesda had a ton of different options that are vegan. Even more choices are vegetarian if you eat cheese/eggs. I loved the avocado and chickpea tartine that I ordered and my friend had an excellent salad. This is one of the few places that really caters to vegans in Bethesda. Highly recommended!