“Good deal at the Bethesda Court”

Bethesda Court Hotel
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed August 26, 2013

With a groupon coupon you cannot beat the deal at this old fashioned 3 story hotel in Bethesda. Free parking and continental breakfast, free bottles of water and chocolates. It is only two blocks north of the Metro stop. The staff members are pleasant and helpful. We have stayed here before and ask for a quieter room overlooking the courtyard. We were on the third floor and it was very quiet, but prefer the second floor because it is easier to walk up and down the stairs because the one elevator is a little slow.

There is a beautiful courtyard with tables and a nice lobby with newspapers, books and two computers. There is free wifi bu it is slow and we could not stream anyting on the internet. The room had a very comfortable king size bed, coffee maker, fridge and safe. There is a flat screen TV--cable programs were OK but the local DC channels were very fuzzy on our TV.

We have stayed here 4 or 5 times and enjoy it each time. There is no swimming pool, but they do have a small fitness room. There is no restaurant but many dining options are within walking distance A free bus, the Bethesda Circulator, goes around the town and there is a stop near the rear of the hotel. A pleasant, convenient hotel in the DC area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pnemiller

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Traveled to Washington DC recently to get our daughter set up for college. After checking tripadvisor reviews we settled on the Bethesda Court Hotel. I was a little surprised at the tripadvisor ratings, many of which were 5 stars. This is definitely not a 5 star hotel and I struggled with how to do my rating, thinking it should be somewhere between 2 and 4 stars.
The price was lower than most in the area, but they also listed a separate parking fee. To my way of thinking, any hotel with a parking fee (I have never paid a parking fee at any hotel in my entire life) automatically loses 1 star in the ratings. However I am told that many people visiting Washington use the Metro exclusively and don’t have a car, so this saves them money. OK, so it looks like almost every hotel in the area charges for parking so I won’t deduct a star. In fact this hotel has some of the lowest parking fees and does not require valet parking. But you should be aware that the parking lot is small and the cars are pretty well packed in the lot. My car probably had a little over a foot of space between cars, so don’t bring a large SUV.

Our room looked dated. The furniture was well worn and the fridge seemed to be leaking some water on the carpet (yes, there was a small refrigerator). There was also a small safe in the room to lock up valuables. On the first night we arrived there was a strong oder of some sort of disinfectant, but it faded by the next day. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the room which made far better coffee than the Starbucks stuff in the breakfast area (If only they had Tim Hortons!). There was a small microwave. There was a sort of lap desk on the bed which might be used for writing or to put a hot computer on, but no pens or pencils anywhere in the room. They do serve a complimentary breakfast, but the breakfast room is tiny and the selection limited for just that reason. There are a couple of tables in the breakfast area plus some just outside of it. If the weather is good you can eat your breakfast in a small courtyard.

When we arrived we discovered they had lost our reservation which we had made online, but they still had a room available so it all worked out.

Staff was cheerful and friendly and seemed eager to help as much as they could.

Although the room was old, it appeared to be clean. The beds had fresh linens. The shower appeared to be free of mildew, but the bathtub plug was missing.

Wi-fi worked well and was easy to get into.

If we visit the same area again I think we would most likely stay there again, but our expectations would be lower. It does seem to be a good value for the location, but I wouldn't call this a "gem of a find".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HistoryBuff13
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The rooms are comfortable and decent size, including a refrigerator, Keurig coffee maker, and microwave. Surprisingly quiet. Wifi is good and is free. Parking on site (at a charge, but you may come and go as you please). Exercise room. Free breakfast was OK (juice, coffee, yogurts, orange juice, cereals and milk, hardboiled eggs, pastries, bread, bagels, and a toaster), but what I expected. The breakfast room is small, but the lobby is available and comfortable. There is a good, late-night Safeway just around the corner if you want more, and MANY nearby restaurants in this charming part of the DC area. Close to Metro and NCI.

Two things make this place stand out. It is NOT a "cookie cutter" place. It feels individual, not like a large faceless chain. It looks and feels like a place built in the early 60s but remodeled to current standards. But foremost are the staff. To a person, they are exceptional. Friendly, happy to work with you to make every detail of the stay great, friendly, knowledgeable about the hotel and the area and the city. They are also empowered to make things happen without needing to consult the manager. Need to check in early? If they have a room, no problem. Park a few minutes extra after you check out? Again, no problem. Need shuttle service? Again, not a problem.

I've stayed here before, and will stay here again. Advance booking saves a few bucks, so we'll do that from now on. Even still, not overpriced, in fact, slightly on the low side for the neighborhood and the quality of the property.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank David F
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was in Bethesda for cancer tests at NIH and had lots of questions. Brandon, the Hotel Manager, went beyond the call of duty with making sure I had everything I needed including allowing me to check in a little early so I could get back to NCI for more testing. Despite the reason I was in Bethesda I had a lovely stay. The hotel is located within easy walking distance of restaurants and the Metro. The breakfast bar had a large variety of choices including yogurt and fresh fruit which fit in my special diet. A staff that goes out of their way to make your stay comfortable. Thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ccg5
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I was so pleasantly surprised by the boutique special touch of this hotel that I spoke with general manager before checking out. The staff was exceptional and the room was cozy with several amenities including even a grab bar to assist with getting out of the shower. The room felt more like a large comfortable bedroom than a hotel room. There is an exercise room and even car service available. I have traveled extensivly and staying at this boutique style hotel has made me rethink staying at the large chain hotels when travelling.

Do yourself a favor and stay at this hotel.
Ask for a room with a court yard view. You will be pleasantly surprised.
Yvonne, June, 2013

Room Tip: Request a court yard view. The second floor is where the exercise room is located. Hotel is close t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It really does trouble me not to give this Hotel an excellent review because so much is good about it. The location is in a trendy area of Bethesda with plenty of great restaurants steps away. It is only two blocks from the Metro and a straight drive into Georgetown. The staff was friendly, professional and extremely helpful. The rooms are all updated and very pleasant. The hotel has an outside court yard that is the perfect place to unwind. My only gripe is these are the worst beds I have ever slept on. I could literally feel the coils pressing against me. I travel a number of times a month and it is on my dime. I generally stay in inexpensive hotels with firm inexpensive mattresses and have not experienced this much discomfort. I can only hope in their effort to update an older hotel the mattresses are next and make this a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: The elevator is old and small a lower room might be better if you have a lot of luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DENNIS M
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We came from the U.K. for a wedding and found the staff exceptionally helpful. This was especially appreciated as we didn't know the area and some customs are very different in the U.S.A. which could have caused some confusion.
The chambermaids were also always polite although I don't think they understood our form of English!
We enjoyed the room decoration and the little coffee maker and microwave but when we explained we needed boiling water and tea, we were allowed to use the breakfast room facilities.
They also helped us with transport as we didn't have a car but usually we were able to use the Metro, which is very near and trains are frequent.
We also especially enjoyed eating breakfast out in the garden when it wasn't raining.
We prefer this friendly type of hotel much more than a soulless modern building with uncaring staff and boring decor.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple