“I can not get enough!!!”
Review of Pines of Rome

Pines of Rome
Ranked #35 of 369 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have been going here as long a I can remember. Now when I am back in the DC area for a visit this restaurant is still a must. The white pizza is to die for as is the fried zucchini. The salads are so fresh and the white beans are also great. If after grazing on all these apps there is still room for an entree....take your pick they are all great !!!! This is not your typical DC area fancy restaurant, but just think of a family restaurant in Tuscany!

There are newer reviews for Pines of Rome

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife an I have been eating at this restaurant for more than 20 years, and it is one of our favorite places. Pines is consistently very good and its prices are quite reasonable. The ambiance is not very pretty, but the restaurant is very comfortable. The service is fast and friendly, and the food is always great. We usually start with our favorite appetizers - fried zucchini and white pizza with fontina cheese - which are terrific. My wife loves the clams in a white sauce as well as the raviolis in tomato sauce. I almost always get the veal parmigiana with pasta; the sauce is very simple - basically tomatoes with olive oil - and it is really, really good. No matter what you order at Pines, it's always very good and filling.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Despite living very close to this place for several years I never knew it was there. A friend suggested this place for a Sunday retirement lunch for a mutual volunteer. There were five of us total. We went at 12:00 on Sunday and the place was empty, no literally no one but us. We ordered salads and I ordered the jumbo ravioli (cheese). The salad looked like they just chopped up some lettuce and put it on a plate. There is no dressing, only vinegar and oil of balsamic vinegar. I have bland taste, but making ravioli with store bought pasta sauce tastes better than what I had. The sauce was runny and bland and the ravioli was tasteless. The only bright spot was the dessert which a friend suggested and was a chocolate ball of ice cream. However, it was not homemade you could tell it was store bought. Really wanted to love this place as I too do not like the commercialism of Bethesda and wanted to find a good local place, unfortunately not this one.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We've been going to the Pines of Rome since Bethesda was a small town without the metro-associated highrises. When there were local shops and stores. Thankfully, this establishment remains open despite all of the new building and activity in the area (making parking a problem, but on a weeknight, the garage across the street is $6 bucks).

The food is not gormet, but is highly satisfying. Start with a white pizza as an appetizer, but first make sure that you check out the chalk-boad specials. Something is always new and interesting. The pasta is freshly made, al dente, and accompanies most dishes. The seafood is excellent, the meats acceptable, but the pasta dishes are really great. Manicotti, ravioli, etc. etc. The old standards, well done, served efficiently in a family-friendly atmosphere. The wine list by the bottle is expensive, but the house wine by the litre is perfectly fine and reasonably priced.

Is this a foodie place? Not realy. But it is a satisfying place where, year after year, the traditional family-style neighborhod place continues to offer what we're looking for.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

It's hard to not like a restaurant with 30-65 year old waiters in long sleeve white shirts (mine had worked there for 30 years!). I ordered the fried zucchini appetizer (very lightly breaded, so quite fresh-tasting) and lasagna (hand made noodles, great sauce, not spicey meat). Get a carafe of the house red!