“Just average”
Review of Plaza Azteca

Plaza Azteca
Ranked #96 of 364 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: http://www.yelp.com/biz/plaza-azteca-bethesda Other folks have plenty of reviews for this lovely little restaurant
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Just average”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went here for dinner on the recommendation of a friend and were there on the early side so we were the only ones in the restaurant for most of our meal. The service was quick and friendly but the food was just average and, in my case, not what the menu promised. I ordered the vegetable enchiladas which say they have mushrooms, peppers and onions but they came with mostly celery, carrots and zucchini. Not what I wanted and not what the menu stated so I was very disappointed with my meal. I forget what my husband had but he said his wasn't great either and he'll eat just about anything. We live in Wheaton so there are plenty of other Mexican/Latin American restaurants much closer to home that we find to be much more delicious.

A few parties came in while we were eating and it was obvious that they were regulars so it seems this place has a local following. Maybe we just picked a bad night or bad dishes but we have no desire to go back.

• Visited September 2012

“Favorite”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have been eating and enjoying the food at this restaurant for two years +. The pollo asada is absolutely homecooked. The chef/cook at this restaurant is wonderful. The Salsa is homemade. The sangria is good. I wish the bar offered a GREAT margarita. Regrettably they do not. Had dinner there on Saturday and will have dinner there again on Monday. Last note about this restaurant: the prices are terrific. Such great value and the wait staff is always wonderful. Worth it

Washington, DC
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

The location of the restaurant does not seem like much, but we were pleasantly surprised by the place. Inside, the large windows and mirrors make the interior appear more spacious. I thought the food was very good and not too expensive. At many Mexican places, I find that there are often items like refried beans or chile relleno that I don't usually eat because they aren't that good, but I enjoyed these items at Plaza Azteca. The burritos, tacos, quesadillas and enchiladas were all very good. This was our first visit to the restaurant, and my only problem was that the waitress was not very attentive to us: although there seemed to be a lot of regular customers who she seemed pay more attention to.

• Visited May 2012
Rockville, Maryland
“Trust me, you'll love this little place!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I'm thrilled to see that the folks at Plaza Azteca are getting the recognition they deserve, because this place is awesome! The owner and staff are wonderful, engaging, and dedicated to providing excellent service. The food is fresh, delicious, varied, reasonably priced, and more "authentic-y" than most of our local Latin cuisine places without being too daunting for the casual eater. Try their fabulous margaritas with house-made chips and salsa at the well-placed bar area and then tuck into a savory plate of masitas de puerco (big, tender chunks of seville orange braised pork) and finish your night off with a heaven-sent slice of tres leches (3 milk) cake--you will NOT be sorry. Salads are crispy and well dressed, quesadillas are perfectly gooey, tacos/burritos/chimichangas are stuffed to the gills with delicious fillings and, so I heard from *several* folks sipping at the bar, the two salmon dishes are spectacular. While this is an unassuming place in a strip mall behind a car dealership and a Home Depot, it's also the kind of place where the staff remember you when you come back in again--and you *will* come back again! Enjoy!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank JillyJill
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good standard mexican and central american food.”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Standard mexican and central american food -- burritos, fajitas, enchiladas, lomo saltado, etc. -- with some nice roasted entrees like masitas as well.

Visited July 2011