“Eh” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of American Tap Room

American Tap Room
Reserve with OpenTable
American Tap Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #101 of 351 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Description: This is American Regional Cuisine at its classic, pub-inspired best. The food is fun and what we like to call “approachable”. You’ll also enjoy some twists on the classics with taste-inspired ideas like our Dirty Caesar Salad and Greek Turkey Burger. At the American Tap Room we believe in using local ingredients as much as possible and, yes, everything we serve goes well with beer. Ranging from weekend brunch, to a casual lunch outing or an after-work gathering in our bar, each dining experience is uniquely enjoyable. Enjoy your time with us on our outdoor patio, inside by the fireplace, or by booking an event in our private room.
“Eh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

My cousin chose this place and I was hesitant since it only had 2.5 stars on Yelp. But I went on her review that the food really was good. I can now say "eh". It wasn't all that and neither was the service. Chicken and waffles...I've had better. Appetizers that come out with the entrees...really?!? And it all started with the hostess standing in the front mean mugging everyone that walked in. I was tempted to ask her what was wrong because she couldn't even crack a smile when she sat us. Our waitress want bad though but others (busboys, managers) could use a little more customer service training. Not planning on a re-attempt.

• Hebrew first
Silver Spring, Maryland
“A fun girls night!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

What a fun girls night! The dirty caesar was amazing. We wished we had more. The burgers were perfect. My friend made the mistake of ordering the fish though, she should have stuck with the burger b/c that's what they specialize in - bar food. The beer was cold and kept coming, the pretzels were great. We will definitely return. The hostesses were a little clueless though. They didn't know where to direct our friend when she walked in. They need to have a better supervising manager b/c they were basically blind leading the blind.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Seven Corners, Virginia
“Decent Beer Selection”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The only thing this place is good for is a wide selection of bottled beer. Draft beers are your standard selection. The food is nothing to write home about, although, backlighted menu is a nice touch. We tried fried pickles, a rather peculiar dish of unknown origin and found it too exotic. :) Humus and pita appetizer were alright.
The bar area was busy and loud. Two bartenders were barely keeping up with all of the people. This is not the place you want to be in for a casual conversation. I would recommend that you go elsewhere on the promenade for better atmosphere.

Columbia, Maryland
“Very enjoyable dining!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The pecan crusted salmon was wonderful! I swapped the green beans out for butternut squash, over the honey carrot purée...I can't imagine it wih green beans, but th e flavors of the dish were outstanding together! My husband had the NY strip & was very impressed. The steak was cooked perfectly, well flavored & tender. Our son ordered the grilled flat iron steak. He enjoyed The oven roasted tomatoes so much that he passed them around for everyone to try. His girlfriend ordered the shrimp creole, which was good, but would have made a better side dish. It seemed to be too much of he same flavor to make a satisfying meal. We ordered the pretzels with cheddar ale dip and (at our waiters suggestion) marshmallow dip. The marshmallow dip surprised us...much better than it sounds like it would be! The service was excellent & the dining experience was one we will repeat in the near future.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Meh - nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

There are much better choices in Bethesda. My pasta had no flavor and my boyfriend's soft tacos weren't spectacular. Given the price, I expected better. That said, the service was pretty good and it's a lively spot for a drink. I just won't order dinner again.

Visited October 2012