“Excellent Food. Under The Radar.”
Review of 4935 Bar & Kitchen - CLOSED

4935 Bar & Kitchen
Cuisines: American, Indian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bethesda Metro Stop Walking distance from metro
Description: Sophisticated dining with a trendy atmosphere and creative menu. We combine Indian flavors with French technique to create an exciting yet accessible dining experience.
Reviewed August 17, 2016

This is the second time we have been to this restaurant. The food is outstanding. During regular dinner hours the place is dead but that's ok. It's dark, quiet and relaxing. It really gets going after hours with the younger crowed. The service is friendly and informative. The Naan is OUTSTANDING and FREE!!!!!!

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed August 4, 2016

Bethesda, MD
0 friends
5.0 star rating 8/4/2016
I read all the reviews and didnt really know what to expect as some people loved it and some people didnt. Count me as one who ABSOLUTELY did!! This is in the same place where Tragara was for many years, but you would not recognize the interior as they have done a complete renovation.

Ambiance is nice and my husband and I were able to sit next to each other at a table for 4 w/ the metal chains giving us privacy from couples at the other tables. We went at 6:30 and by the time we left after 8 pm, it was fairly crowded at the tables and about 12 people at the bar.

Let me preface my remarks by saying I am a picky eater. I live in Bethesda and really do not like 99% of the restaurants. Over 25 years of eating out, I have been to them all & given many 2nd chances. Favorites are: Tandoori Nights for Indian and their lunch buffet, Mama Lucia's for a slice of articholke/roasted red pepper pizza, and our go to favorite, Bistro La Zeez for always consistently good dinners.

Back to 4935, seated right away and our attentive but not at all intrusive waiter immediately told us he had put in an order for the Naan. It came out quickly and was too too good. Husband had the tandoori chicken tacos and I had the pork wings for appetizers. I would have thought my appetizer was the best possible until I tasted his -- OMG -- the tacos were wonderfully soft and had an Indian sauce inside and on the top that was delicious. The pork wings also had a great sauce and there were 3 huge ones -- actually like ribs but so much more meatier and w/ only a smidgin of fat. I ate very bit of it and whatever he would let me have.

For the main course, I had the crispy bronzini and got the wilted spinach instead of the broccolini. They put something special inside the bronzini that was delicious and so was the spinach. He had the tandoori salmon w. coconut rice and it was moist and tender inside and crispy on the outside.

Strawberry shortcake was delicious for my dessert. I was afraid it was going to be on a sponge cake but it was on something like a scone, stacked up high w/ fresh cream running between the scone/cake and plentiful yummy strawberries.

Then it turned out, Sammy, one of my favorite waiters from another restaurant that has closed was there and recognized us. It was a fun reunion. He told us a lot about the place that anyone going there should know:
1.Right now, it is only open for dinners Thurs - Saturday
2. On weekends after 10ish it becomes a nightclub w/ dancing and DJs on both levels. Upstairs is for a more international young crowd w/ age appropriate music. Downstairs they play oldies w/ correspondingly older customers
3. The chef, Chef Alfred, was picked to compete in the Food Network's ongoing or upcoming cooking contest. So he wasnt there tonight when we ate there, but he has trained his staff REALLY well.

It was a great evening and worth the every penny of the, IMHO, moderately priced menu. So glad to have found a great restaurant in Bethesda and especially one on the side where it is not so crowded that you can actually find onstreet parking plus there is a multi-level parking lot right across the street.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank Carole S
Reviewed February 21, 2016 via mobile

The place looks fancy and the silver blue atmosphere was really nice as decor. The food was delicious I would give 10/10 points for the mozzarella appetizer. The dishes are small but in my opinion worth the price. For main course I chose the salmon it was amazing. Unfortunately the staff was simply terrible. There was no host for about 4-5 minutes when we got in, then she showed up and sit us on a table for 4 when we were expecting 5th person. When the 5th person came and we were in the middle of eating our main course the hostess came and asked if we want to move ... like seriously?! The waitress was nice but still no 5th glass of water came for our friend, no one lighted up the candle on the table, they didn't pick up the empty dishes or glasses, and no one refilled our glasses of water...

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed January 4, 2016 via mobile

Me and the wife visited on Saturday, January 2nd. Greeted at the door by the owner who sat us at the bar the bartender Frankie was outstanding and a mixologist he also suggested very prestigious items on the menu. the atmosphere was amazing the DJ played top 40 music which gave it a New York lounge type of feel my hats off to the owners of this place I will return.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed September 21, 2015

We did enjoy the samosas, lamb shank, and duck breast. Service was very good, but the bar atmosphere detracted from the dining experience.

Date of visit: April 2015