“Mediocrity at its best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lockheed Martin CLE

Lockheed Martin CLE
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bethesda
Lockheed Martin CLE
You added Lockheed Martin CLE to your Saves list
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
DFW Texas
“Mediocrity at its best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Okay, so yes, it is a bit like be imprisoned, and yes, I was intercepted by the guards when I tried to go for a walk on the trails after dark, but as a hotel, this place is about as average as they come... Not a wonderful luxury hotel (as we occasionally experience as LM employees attending conferences), but as bad as many LM "approved" hotels I've stayed in on my travels for the company. The food is not bad (during the week) at the three-meals-a-day buffet, and is certainly plentiful. Many attendees complain of gaining weight during their stays, but that's why they also provide a workout center in the basement (adequate, but nothing more).

Clearly the worst part of this monstrosity is the fact that they must force employees to stay here in order to justify the capital outlay (I'm sure whoever's bad idea this was is now retired). The prison-like atmosphere and sterile rooms make it a place you just can't wait to leave. The greatest puzzle to me was the beautiful walking trail that has lovely landscape lighting that just invites a still after dinner, but... ist verboten! And, yes, the guards will intercept you and inform you that you return to the building because the grounds are off-limits after sunset. Security makes sense, but this looks more paranoiac to me.

Room Tip: My tip for all you LM folks (since no one else can stay here) is this... Always try to combine your...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank ProfCoop

Families
Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

With a sterile atmosphere that would make a morgue proud, I have to confess that this place is less fun than a Pyongyang bar on at wet Wednesday night in February. A stay here is a bit like self immolation, initially interesting (I wonder how far I can get down the jogging trail past 5 pm before I get turned back and sent to my room) but ultimately very, very painful.

I wish to my core that whoever came up with the CLE concept had been inspired by 'Paradise Island' and not George Orwell's 1984. To give the CLE that authentic Big Brother feel they even run reports on who has booked hotels in the area and take the liberty of cancelling these for you and sometimes telling you or to add little bit of excitement post a long trans atlantic flight - not.

To be fair the staff are fantastic and will do the best they can to make your stay comfortable though they do have that look in their eye that says "poor soul, at least I am going home tonight".

In the Shawshank Redemption Tim Robbins longed for Zihuatanejo - I'd settle for the Marriott Bethesda.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
18 Thank IgotBCB

Travelers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

I literally spit Coke on my keyboard when I read the "minimum security prison" review, and had to add my own thoughts. I was stuck at the CLE for 6 days of "indoctrination" and felt like I had just checked into a cult! If the prominent "architectural water feature" didn't give it away, the fact that you couldn't go 10 feet without seeing pictures of prisms and rainbows made it clear what I had gotten myself into.

The CLE is probably the most expensive hotel in the area. The food and staff are great, but I was itching to leave after 1 night. The internet is restricted so you can't upload iTunes or watch any type of streaming videos; the cable TV is company propaganda; hallways are video monitored for security (but don't even think about leaving your room unless you're in a collared shirt); the jogging trails close at 5pm and security will escort you back inside the building if you're out after dark; and there's absolutely no signs if civilization within this office park wasteland.

My advice: If you're stuck at the CLE, get takeout meals from the cafeteria and eat them in your room so you don't get sucked into socializing with the corporate drones. Use the quiet time after classes to update your resume so you can make your escape!

Room Tip: Do not show up unshaven!
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
40 Thank WorkerBeeOrlando_FL
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2010

Restricted web access, no facilities on the weekend (e.g. food, exercise, etc.). It's the greatest white-elephant Lockheed has thought up yet. Lucky LM employees who are forced to stay there even if other hotels are closer to their business needs, better, and a lot cheaper.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
36 Thank jfoxfire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
#7 of 11 in Bethesda
3.5 of 5 stars 1,277 reviews

Been to Lockheed Martin CLE? Share your experiences!