“Locals give it a try - visitors give it a pass.”
Review of The Burger Joint

The Burger Joint
Ranked #130 of 360 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: American, Grill
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Description: Voted "Best Burger Restaurant in DC" by Business Insider. Voted "Best Burger Restaurant in DC" by Washingtonian Magazine. Voted "Best Burger Patty" by Washington Post. BGR The Burger Joint is helping lead the better burger market with a menu designed around our commitment to using only the highest quality ingredients. BGR's menu is designed around an exclusive blend of Prime, Dry-aged burgers, grilled over an open flame. Menu offerings include burgers, veggie burger, grilled chicken, turkey burger, lamb burger, ahi tuna burger, hot dog, kids meals, regular fries, sweet potato fries, onion rings, asparagus, handspun shakes, side salads, lettuce wraps, salad bowls and beer/wine and other seasonal specialties. Gluten Free options include: regular fries, sweet potato fries, side salad, salad bowl (any burger on a salad), lettuce wrap, asparagus.
Marietta, GA
“Locals give it a try - visitors give it a pass.”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The menu is all burgers, which are pretty good. The sweet potato fries are outstanding. The service leaves much to be desired: McDonald's style ordering with no feeling of being welcome, plus I got a boat load of attitude from all tue staff when my "medium" burger was delivered "medium well". It was also very warm in the dining room. I think there are better choices in Bethesda.

Bethesda, Maryland
“MMM-Burger!”
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Burgers here are fabulous. It is a joint though. Orders are at the counter, and then they call your number to pick-up. Decor is old album covers and such.

Atlanta, GA
“Just okay; hoped to be impressed but I was not”
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Based on the advertising, I was expecting to come away thinking, "Wow - best burget I've ever had." I did not. I tried the burger with blue cheese along with a side of sweet potato fries and a drink. Paid about $16. The burger was certainly better than what you'll get at Burger King or McDonalds, but honestly, it was not that great. It was tender and juicy, so that was a plus, but a major problem was that I couldn't really tell that they purportedly use a high grade of beef because it was so incredibly over-salted! You could barely taste the beef itself -- just salt. In terms of ambience, it was a bit grimy. The grill area faces the restaurant and therefore it imparts a greasy grill smell to the place. I found it somewhat better to sit closer to the entrance (further from the cooking area).

Overall, it was okay but I did not enjoy the burger as much as other "high end" burgers I've had elsewhere. In fact, I've had burgers at chains like Back Yard Burgers that I think were just as good. The over-salting really hurt the overall taste, in my opinion. I also found the restaurant kind of loud, cramped, and grimy/greasy. Probably wouldn't go back.

1 Thank ATLDawg
Mystic, CT
“Wish The Burger Joint had gone National vs. 5 Guys”
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Always had 5 Guys burgers the last few years when I was in DC and then they showed up in my hometown in CT. Always felt they were a mite greasy and now that the kids go there a lot, I know they are greasy.

Instead, I was in Bethesda and had heard about the Burger Joint and as I had a meeting in downtown Bethesda, I ran up to Fairmont Ave for lunch.

Very good experience. Better grade of beef, vegetables on the burger were fresh, mojo sauce was both intersting and complimented the burger well, the bun was a bit too soft and fell apart a little bit and the french fries were fresh and heavenly.

I liked the take out style w/ ability to sit down (w/o peanut shells I may add) and everything was clean and friendly.

Wish they had gone national vs. the other guys.

San Jose, California
“Great Burger, but Expensive”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I went there for lunch and got the lunch box. It was $9 for a plain burger, fries, and drink. However, you can upgrade the burger and fries to add cheese or toppings to the burger and the fries to sweet potato fries or onion rings for a few bucks.

I ordered a medium rare burger and it was cooked correctly. The burger was tasty and large enough that I didn't need any dinner for several hours. I had the Wellington burger, which had plentiful mushrooms and onions. I would go there again if I'm back in Bethesda.