“A Tale of Two Stays - sequels are in process”

Wingate by Wyndham Aberdeen /Edgewood
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Belcamp
West Orange, New Jersey
“A Tale of Two Stays - sequels are in process”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I accepted a part time position not far from this property which will require me staying in the area for two nights, twice monthly for the foreseeable future. I mentioned this to the young man that checked me in on my first stay in January 2014. I had arrived late, went up to my room, and unpacked - since I hate living out of a suitcase. I then noticed that the entire room was covered with a very fine dust. I wet wiped all of the surfaces that I might come in contact with and went to sleep. In the morning I asked the desk clerk whether the room was recently renovated? - yes. Was the tile in the front entrance area new? - yes. Was I was the first person to stay in the room since the renovation? - yes. I explained that the housekeeping staff needs to be instructed on how to clean a room after that type of work. I was offered a room change, but opted to not repack and unpack again. I requested that the head of housekeeping be notified of the problem and was assured that it would be done. I also informed the clerk of my plans to keep returning. That evening the room was not significantly better, the surfaces that I left alone were also left alone by the housekeeper. The front desk clerk apologized, attempted to discount my stay, but was unable to, since I booked through a broker. She offered to make my next reservation for me and did. I went on line in the business center and was able to secure a better rate than what she offered. She indicated that she would try to do better and would contact me before my next visit the following week. She didn't.

The following week she happened to be on the desk when I checked in and she put me in a room that had not yet been renovated. It was fine and clean.

On the plus side - the beds are comfortable, there are plenty of pillows, the rooms are a very nice size, the HVAC works well and reasonably quietly, the free wi-fi works very well and the complimentary breakfast is certainly adequate and fresh.

The obvious downside is that management does not seem to care very much. One would think that if a property owner or manager is told that a customer is planning on coming back several times monthly forever, he or she would want to ensure that the patron's stays are perfect. The manager has yet to reach out to me at all and has yet to apologize for the ceramic dust and the failure on his/her housekeeping staff's part to clean the room after I complained. If the staff has not notified the manager of the issues then shame on them, but even bigger shame on the manager for not training them correctly. This renovation is going to be done in every room, how many other guests are going to be unhappy about the dust that the staff can't seem to clean?

I am writing this two weeks after my second stay, from my second room tonight in the same property, but that is a story for another review.

Room Tip: Make sure that you check it for dust before unpacking, unless it has not yet been renovated.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Belcamp
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My sister and I were visiting family. It was a last minute reservation. The rooms was clean and refreshing. The young lady who waited on us was quite pleasant and helpful in every way. We will be returning in May for a wedding with other family members and look forward to staying there again! Thank you for excellent service!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This place was as we expected based on the reviews we read. The staff was friendly when we checked in. The room was small, but for an overnight stay it was fine. The breakfast was ok and again was about what we expected based on the other reviews.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Fredericksburg
Reviewed January 11, 2014

(1) The rate quoted on the 800 number was not available, (2) the breakfast was terrible, selection poor, and they ran out of coffee at 6:45, (3) the facet selector on the tub wouldn't switch from shower to tub, water pressure weak (4) the first room had a noisy heater. Front desk wanted to send the mechanic, I demanded a new room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wingate by Wyndham

Travelers are raving about these Belcamp hotels

Northern Virginia
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Friendly reception. Greeted by a plate of fresh baked cookies of all kinds. Including my favorite -- oatmeal raisin. Large clean room with a comfortable soft chair with table and lamp. Wonders of wonders -- no feather pillows (important to me!). Comfortable bed too!

Now the not so good. Finicky heating system especially an issue with the effects of the Polar Vortex. Was hard to keep at a consistent warmth. Moving the lamp and lamp table away from the thermostat helped but imperfectly (heat of the lamp confused the thermostat). Complimentary breakfast was adequate but my colleagues who arrived later told me the coffee was gone. Lastly the location. Off the beaten path. Stuck behind an Arby's, Burger King, and gas station. Although I'd be willing to stay here again, I think I may try somewhere closer to real restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Belcamp
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bel Air East at I-95 Riverside (Aberdeen)
Candlewood Suites Aberdeen - Edgewood - Bel Air
Hampton Inn & Suites Edgewood/Aberdeen-South
Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen
Homewood Suites by Hilton Bel Air
SpringHill Suites Edgewood Aberdeen

Been to Wingate by Wyndham Aberdeen /Edgewood? Share your experiences!