Stage Neck Inn
York Harbor Inn(York Harbor)(Great Value!)
$189
$135
$105
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Sunrise Motel(York Beach)(Great Value!)
$180
$139
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsbreakfast buffettennis courtsturn down serviceeggs benedictindoor poolservice chargeocean fronthalf priceyork riverharborview roomfrench toastharbor view roomhaddockget awayshrimpbeautiful spotdoughnuts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 27, 2009

This hotel is the epitome of elegant charm combined with a seaside retreat. It is on the water in York, we always order an ocean view room so we can see the sparkling water from our room. We prefer the main-level oceanfront rooms so you can open your door and wander out to water's edge. The rooms are plush, cushy and elegant. The beds are scrumptiously comfortable. We've stayed several times and get the dining plan. Some nights we have dinner in the restaurant, some nights we can't resist staying in our beautiful room on the water. No matter what, the food is incredible. They do the classics to perfection- Oysters Rockefeller, Stuffed Lobster, Perfect porterhouse steaks. Just a couple of minutes walk and you are on a beach! A true sand beach. Careful on Sunday mornings - the locals bring their dogs to run around loose and we were harassed by several of them when all we wanted was a peaceful morning at the beach. Quite annoying, I guess there is no leash law. The staff at the hotel is gracious and truly do what they can to make sure your stay is perfect and memorable. The on-site spa is a treasure. How decadent to have a nice massage then sit by the water, fully relaxed. If a rainy day, we head down the road for outlet shopping or to Stonewall Kitchen. It is a wonderful find.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
SNIgm, manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2009

Thank you for your recent review of our inn. I am so glad that you had a nice stay with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 24, 2009

Stage Neck is located on the waterfront in quaint York, Me. If you need to get away to a quiet location, this may be an option for you. It's not situated in the center of a touristy area, and that appealed to me. The locals are friendly and it's a laid back town.

The rooms at Stage Neck are somewhat traditional and, in my opinion, no frills/modest decor. The bathrooms could benefit from an overhaul, but they're clean and functional. Stage Neck pretty much represents what I've come to expect from this part of the country. You go to experience a slice of small town New England, not a chic hotel. The biggest plus for me was that the hotel was relatively quiet and I was able to relax. A group of conventioneers arrived toward the end of my visit, so it did get a little noisy in the hallway on one occasion, and a room service tray sat in the hall for about eight hours, but other than that, things were fine.

Some of the rooms face the water, so I'd definitely recommend that if you enjoy the ocean. Otherwise, your view may overlook the parking lot. The room rate includes a buffet breakfast, wifi, in room stereo with questionable reception, television, refrigerator, iron and parking. I found cell phone reception on the premises to be non existent, but that probably helped me relax. No phone; no ability to communicate with the outside world. If I needed/wanted to use my cell, I had to walk outside to the parking lot. I was actually okay with that.

18% tips are automatically added to most/all bills at the hotel, so you don't have to worry about gratuities unless someone assists you with your luggage, etc. In summary, if you're looking for a quiet stay on the waterfront where the hotels are not built one on top of the other, consider Stage Neck. The hotel restaurants are decent or you can take a short drive throughout southern Maine and sample the other eateries.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank david_k001
SNIgm, manager at Stage Neck Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2009

Thank you very much for writing about us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your comments, and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed October 23, 2009

My husband surprised me with this hotel that we have never stayed at. I thanked him the entire weekend. Picture the lobby with many comfy chairs near a constantly filled fireplace and an oceanview as well. How about adding hot apple cider and homemade cookies in the afternoon? I was in heaven. It definitely felt more like an inn. On site delicious restaurant overlooking the ocean, a fire pit, and hot tub and pool. You didn't even need to leave if you didn't want to. The guests are a bit older, but now that I'm in the over 50 category I loved the quiet of this age group as well as friendliness. We have already booked our next stay. Also the weekend after Columbus Day is the York Harvest Fest that we love to attend

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife and I were married at this resort and could not have been happier. The hotel is on one of the most beautiful property on the entire Eastern Seaboard. The hotel is all by itself out on a peninsula overlooking the ocean to the east and south, a beautiful bay with islands to the west, and of beautiful mansions along the north. We were married out on the lawn overlooking the sea cliffs and ocean. The hotel is not overwhelmingly opulent inside, but is very classy and nautical in theme. The rooms are fairly large and very clean. The food is outstanding (4/5 stars) and the service was excellent. Many of us stayed at the hotel and found it to be very comfortable and, of course, with beautiful views. I would actually rate the hotel itself a 4, but the location and service really force me to give the overall 5-star rating.

Dawn was our wedding coordinator and did a great job. She made sure everything was done correctly and on time and was always very honest with us about their capabilities (i.e. number of guests capacity, time frames/scheduling, etc.). She was the perfect balance of professionalism, involvement, and facilitating our personal desires for the wedding.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My wife, 7 year old daughter and I stayed at the Stage Neck Inn over Labor day weekend. It’s a beautiful spot, set on a point of land overlooking the ocean and harbor channel. It’s adjacent to a nice beach, and walking distance to the quiet streets of York Harbor, quite different from the traffic and honkey-tonk of nearby York Beach. The hotel is 1970s vintage, but has clearly been updated and is in very good condition. The lobby is nicely furnished and as a fine view of the ocean, and there are interesting photos of the hotels early days. (The hotel sits on the site of a 1800s inn, long since demolished.) The website says it has two restaurants, one formal and one casual, but on our visit, the casual restaurant was set up as a bar/ lounge, and there was only one dining venue, with windows on 3 sides overlooking the sea. Rooms looked to be recently renovated, with tasteful furnishings but not overly fancy, about what one would see in a newer Marriott or Hilton. The best feature of the room was the balcony overlooking the harbor channel, a very nice view. Most rooms have either a channel or ocean view, with a balcony or patio. The patio rooms are the nicest, with chaise lounges and direct access to the lawn. My only criticism of the balcony was that the railing was a solid wall, so you can’t see the view while seated. There is a small indoor pool with a Jacuzzi, and a large outdoor pool up the hill overlooking the beach. Lunch is served at the outdoor pool, (Mid May to Mid September) featuring the usual burgers and sandwiches, as well as bar service. I’m nitpicking, but one issue with the outdoor pool is that because it is adjacent to the public beach, there is an 8 foot high chain link fence surrounding it, marring the great view. A hotel this pricey could spring for an enclosure that’s nicer that prison-like chain link.

So, nice grounds, nice rooms, two pools, what’s not to like? Only one thing really. This hotel has a policy of automatically adding an 18% gratuity to all meals and beverages, and $2 per day “tip” for maid service. This is about the amount I usually tip, so the money isn’t the issue. But because it is added automatically, it really isn’t a tip but a compulsory service charge. As a result, service quality suffered. Everyone was friendly, but there was a lackadaisical, “we’ll get to it when we feel like it” air about the service. We ate in the restaurant our first evening, and waited for 15 minutes for someone to acknowledge us after we were seated. The waitress eventually came over and apologized, telling us that she didn’t know it was her table, and that she would “make up for it”. She then proceeded to dote on people at other tables (whom she seemed to know personally), while largely ignoring us, forgetting to bring bread, pacing the meal badly, and pouring the wine improperly. (We’re not wine snobs but we know the basics, and she didn’t.) As for “making up for it”, nothing happened. No discount or free appetizer or anything like that. To make it worse, I wasn’t aware of the automatic service charge yet. So, after two glasses of wine, and lacking my reading glasses, I added my customary tip to the bill, not seeing the 18% notice. So, for some of the poorest wait service I’ve had in years, our waitress received a 36% tip! Ouch. Live and learn! (To be fair, the tipping policy was written on all receipts and on a card in the room, so I should have caught it, but I wonder how many others double tip before discovering their mistake.) Service was similarly slack elsewhere. The beautiful lawn overlooking the sea is a popular place for guests to enjoy cocktails and snacks, and the empty glasses and plates just kept piling up out there, with no one clearing them until they were attracting gulls and flies. At cocktail hour, the bartender would disappear for long periods, then looked surprised when he returned to see several people waiting to get a drink. Then he would serve them, disappear, and look surprised again when he returned to see lots more people waiting. There was a constant lack of towels available at the indoor pool and workout room. The outdoor pool sometimes opened at 8, then at 10 am, apparently whenever someone showed up to unlock it. At these prices ($370 including breakfast), service should be sharper. None of these gaffes were tragic, but it shows why compulsory tipping is a bad idea.

As for food, the offerings at dinner were fairly simple, but well prepared. The clam chowder was exceptional. Prices were high but in line with other places in this touristy area. The included breakfast was a good buffet, with a nice assortment of fresh fruit, the usual eggs, bacon and potatoes, and some truly excellent freshly made donuts, which were addictive.

There is a small workout room, with a treadmill, two bikes, a rowing machine and a smattering of weight machines. All were in working order, as was the co-ed sauna off the small locker room. There is also a spa, which we didn’t try. Two tennis courts are also available. There is a very nice, quiet trail leading from the hotel along the harbor channel, passing through working dock areas and quiet woods, with an old fashioned suspension foot bridge. It made for a very relaxing walk, watching the tide roll in.

The crowd ranged from older couples to families with children. I did notice that everyone was very well behaved. At the outdoor pool, there is an adults only hour from 12 to 1pm, and at precisely 12, all the kids exited the pool without being reminded, and returned at 1. At other places with such a rule, it usually is either ignored completely or requires constant reminders from the lifeguard. There aren’t bells and whistles here, like bike and boat rentals or a kids program. It’s more of a place to unwind, rather than a highly active resort.

In short we had a very nice time, and I really liked the beautiful, peaceful location. If they would just change the tipping policy, this place would be top notch. We’ll probably go back someday, but I’ll be more careful about double tipping!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family