All reviews cellar pub harbor crest across the street luxury room continental breakfast the main dining room main building through groupon harbor hill building new england jacuzzi tub several buildings lobster ocean view bagels chapman cottage small room
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The first room I checked out was in the main building. There were whiskers in the sink from the last guest. I went back to the front desk. The gentleman there gave me keys to check out a second room. The second room had a smell and cleanliness issues too. I returned to the front desk and was upgraded to a luxury room in another building. This building featured a nice private area where guests could read and relax. I went upstairs to check out the room. It was a lot nicer and had wood beams above the bed area giving it a rustic look. However, there were carpet stains. I also picked up some black stuff off the carpet and took it back to the front desk. He could not identify what it was.

This suggests to me the housekeeping crew is not cleaning rooms (even in the luxury building) like they should be. Front desk offered to vacuum the room after I asked if they had a vacuum so I could sweep up the carpet myself. The front desk clerk stated he would do it.

After I got done eating in town, I returned to the room only to find there was still some of the unidentified black debris in front of an armchair. The room had a great view and location. I wanted to stay here after driving for hours from another location in Maine.

Another problem I had was there were no elevators. I had a large suitcase which I had to lug up 3 flights of stairs without any offers for assistance. At one point, I almost fell down a flight of stairs. Fortunately, I did not but it was a scary moment.

Later that night as I was getting ready to go to bed. I found a bug on the bed. Not sure what kind but it was making me uneasy. I looked at the mattress and discovered there was no mattress protectant. All hotels/inns should have these on every bed, every room. It helps prevent bedbug infestations from occurring. It's also great for keeping allergens/dust mites down. I'm not sure what the bug was but there was no way I was going to be able sleep there.

I packed up my suitcase and went to the front desk. It was about 3 am and no one was at the counter. I rang the bell, no answer. I wrote a note describing why I was leaving. I bought this through groupon getaways for 3 nights. I was charged for one night which was fair because I did use the shower and towels before deciding I couldn't stay. The front desk did offer me alternatives, but in the end none of those turned out to be successful.

I feel the problems I encountered could be turned around and this could be a great place to stay. However, housekeeping needs improvement. I would also suggest shampooing the carpets and putting mattress protectors on the mattresses and box springs. If you are putting someone on the second floor and/or above, ask if they need assistance with their luggage.

Room Tip: Check out the room thoroughly before you stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
Garry D, Owner at York Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Cindy T.

Thank you so much for your visit to the York Harbor Inn and for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We do apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
We pride ourselves on exceeding the expectations of our guests from our hospitality, our cuisine and most importantly the comfort and cleanliness of our guest rooms.
Our Housekeeping Team works so very diligently to ensure that the guest rooms are as you would desire, clean and comfortable.
We did inspect the guest room in question, and found all clean and in good order.
We are so very sorry that you departed early and we do wish we had the opportunity to find a guest room more to your liking.
Our entire York Harbor Inn family extends our apologies and we truly look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

It was the perfect location. We stayed at the main Inn. It had a wonderful restaurant, beautiful views, beautiful beach to sit and relax at and the staff was very outgoing. We are definitely planning on going back. We can't thank them enough for a great time. Make sure you try their scallops!

Reviewed August 19, 2018

The Inn, directly across the street from a beautiful park and small beach, is charming. The staff was friendly and helpful. The complementary breakfast was wonderful--perfect scrambled eggs and breakfast potatoes along with some type of breakfast meat, fresh fruit salad and fresh berries, bagels and English muffins, and fresh-baked muffins and pastries. We had dinner there one night in the restaurant and the food was excellent. The pub in the cellar is designed like the inside of an old ship. On the down side, our room, located in the main building on the third floor, was pretty small. The eaves were so low that I hit my head and shoulder walking around the bed a few times. The shower stall wasn't much bigger than one on a cruise ship. And, because we were on the third floor and the weather was very warm and humid, we had to keep the air conditioner cranked up to maximum all night long to keep the room cool, and it was really, really noisy. But the room was clean and guests were quiet.

• Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2018

The inn is a series of different buildings and rooms. Be careful if you book online. You might end up with a double bed in a tiny room with a small bathroom. No elevators, so you have to get your luggage upstairs. Their chef is top notch and the food is above average. The location is across from the beach. Many rooms have ocean views.

Room Tip: Call up and get a description of the room.
Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Paul G, Guest Relations Manager at York Harbor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Thank you for your visit to the York Harbor Inn and for sharing your experience with us.
We truly appreciate your kind comments with regard to your dining experience as well.
Our Executive Chef, Gerald Bonsey, has been with the York Harbor Inn now going on 36 years!!!!

While some of our guest rooms are on the small side (and priced accordingly) we wish for our guests to know
that the York Harbor Inn offers many guest rooms with King Bed, Jacuzzi Tub and Ocean Views. We encourage
our guests to contact us directly so that we may be sure to match your needs with our offerings.
The York Harbor Inn does offer first floor and accessible guest rooms when noted and upon request.
Our staff is more than happy to assist with luggage upon request as well.
We do appreciate your visit and we look forward to you joining us again in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2018 via mobile

We have stayed many places in the area and the York Harbor Inn is by far our favorite. It is small, full of charm and amenities. Their breakfast buffet was great and included in the price of your stay. Coffee all day long in lobby...( and cookies)

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your visit to the York Harbor Inn and for sharing your experience with us!
We are so thrilled that you enjoyed our Inn! We are so pleased to offer a Country Inn Breakfast, including house made muffins, pastries and sour cream coffee cake, as well as Scrambled Eggs, Homefries and either a sausage, bacon or ham. We are happy to know that you enjoyed that!
Our Front Desk offers complimentary coffee, newspapers, bottled water, beach towels, infused water and of course our house made cookies!!
We truly look forward to your next visit!