“Nice room with great restaurant”
Review of York Harbor Inn

York Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Reviewed October 5, 2008

We stayed in room 6 which was nice, very clean, but later when we went to bed there were smokers outside below our room. They were quietly talking but the smoke was coming up into our room so we had to close the window. That was too bad because there was a nice cool breeze which would have made sleeping better.
We had a great dinner in their upstairs restaurant and a nice breakfast the next morning. We would stay here again as we had only one night on the south coast of Maine.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 14, 2008

The location is lovely, right across from the beach and easy to find. The staff were very nice. But my room was possibly one of the smallest I've ever encountered. It was the least expensive so I anticipated small, but you couldn't actually walk around the bed and the bathroom was more like a closet.

That said, the bar downstairs is fantastic. Being a solo traveller, you rely on bustling bars and watching a Boston Red Sox World Series game with Boston visitors was magic. And I can recommend the crab cakes too!!

But, the York Harbor Inn is not value for money. It is quite expensive and very cramped. Maybe better if you had more money to spend.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank AusMiss
Reviewed September 7, 2008

My husband, two-year-old son, and I just returned from a 2-night stay at the Inn. We stayed in the Harbor Hill building. The Inn has its good and bad points.

First, the good. The Inn is located right across the street from a public beach. A picturesque park/walkway leads down to it. Having stayed during the off-season, the beach was uncrowded, and it's close proximity allowed us to go there numerous times for brief periods without having to pack up the car and pay for parking elsewhere. The room had a nicely appointed bathroom, with a huge Jacuzzi tub and marble counters. The grounds at the Inn were green and lush.

Further, we paid extra for a "luxury" room -- $299 per night. We paid for the luxury room because we were told it was larger than the regular rooms. We were very glad that we did. The room was quite small, but the bathroom was so large that we easily fit our son's Pak-N-Play (provided by the Inn) in there and he slept soundly. Other than having a large bathtub, I don't really know what made the room "luxury."

As for the bad, the Inn is listed as a "bed and breakfast." We should have read the website for the Inn more closely -- "breakfast" consisted of pastries made the day before, INSTANT OATMEAL, yogurt, fruit, coffee, and juice. While the coffee cake was tasty after I heated it in the microwave provided, I have never stayed at a B&B that presented such unimaginative fare and called it "breakfast." I could have served this stuff at home on any weekday. The Holiday Inn Express that we crashed at one night on our drive to York Harbor even offered scrambled eggs and sausage. We departed on Sunday, and the Sunday brunch did not begin until 9:30 (continental was served until that time); however, we had to leave by 9, so we missed the brunch.

The room we stayed in was about twenty feet from the highway. At one point, I wondered if we would be able to sleep with the sounds of motorcycles and cars zooming by at high decibels -- or if I would worry myself to death that a car would come barreling through our window and crash into our bed. Nevertheless, the traffic noises did die down as the hour grew late, and we slept fine.

To sum it up: you don't really get what you pay for here. No room service, no fabulous breakfast, no in-room movies or DVD player, no beach views. When we come back to York Harbor, we'll stay in another place where you get more bang for your buck.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank DallasNewYorkCity
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We spent the 2008 Labor Day weekend at the Inn and were very pleased. We booked a room at the Harbor Crest Inn (one of many buildings on this property) as the rooms were described as being larger and nicer. Room had a king, assorted additional furniture, working fireplace, large bath with shower and jacuzzi tub, plus reserved parking in back of the building. Room was very clean and made up nicely each day. Front desk, breakfast, bar and brunch staff were all great. Only (minor) complaints were that some of the lights in the room were dim and we had hoped to apply the "free" dinner voucher included in our package against a dinner tab we ran up our first night in the bar (which is worth a separate trip it is so nice) but were told upon checkout that the voucher only worked in the dining room (which makes little sense since the menu and prices are the same both places). Bottom line is everything was exactly as advertised and we felt we got the right value for the money.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Myself and 3 high school friends just returned from a 2 night stay at the York Harbor Inn. We found the staff and the service to be very friendly and helpful. The rooms were a bit small, but bright,cozy and very clean. The Inn was almost full but we heard no noise or loud voices at night that would have interfered with sleep. Staying on the third floor of the main inn did pose a few challenges. Very good exercise climbing the stairs but, if you have any mobility issues this may not be your best pick of rooms. Also, on the last day of our stay, we were shown a back staircase that only had one set of stairs to climb as the ramp entered onto the second floor. Lugging the suitcases up one flight would have been preferred the first night. The front office needs to tell their guests this entrance exists. This was my only complaint. I would highly recommend this Inn to other friends and relatives. I plan to return with my husband in the fall. He's tired of hearing me rave about the great time I had. I'm looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2008

The inn was quite nice but for $299.00 per night, I quite expected my bed to be made sometime during the next day, plus but maybe asking too much, the bathroom to be cleaned. Actually, neither was done. After contacting the front desk, twice, and then the manager - was told they would look into it. meanwhile I had to make my own bed in order to go to bed that night. Nothing was ever done, or was I contacted - I guess if you want any housekeeping service, it is extra? I own a travel agency and certainly would never be able to recommend this to any of my clients. other than that, it was okay but again, quite deceiving on their website as it does look as if it is on the water but it is across a busy street. We paid extra for a view but the only view we had was closed curtains, as we couldn't open them due to the busy street right outside our room. By the way, I also contacted the Inn owner upon my return and have never been contacted by them so I guess service isn't important to them at all.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2008

This place is the single worst destination we have encountered in our travels. We booked the weekend of August 22, 2008-August 24, 2008 for an end of the summer get away. We got away from this Inn after one night. The air conditioner did not work and it was hot. The room was ridiculously small and at a cost of 228.00 per night, just not a value. We were out of the dump by 7:30 the following morning. The commode is adjacent to the check in lane of the lodge.....nice. The double bed has a small isle around it, but has a window on each side of the bed and each window is about a foot from the sidewalk in front of the Inn. The carpet is filthy, A stairway passes outside the door of the room we were located in and every step on every stair reverberates through the room. I have had better nights sleep at O'Hare. The main thoroughfare was 20 feet from the head of the bed. You really have to love V-twin motorcycles traveling south to get a minutes sleep in this pit. We were unable to book in at another hotel and just came home. The owners of this over priced Inn are charlatans. When we complained about the air conditioner some knuckle-headed clerk told us to open the windows......We were on the first floor intimately proximate to the sidewalk and five feet from the entrance of the building. The restaurant has tolerable overpriced bar food. Our bill was 150.00 without the tip. The food was adequate but it consisted of appetizers and an one entree we split. We had two glasses of red apiece.

The beach across from the inn is in fact nice, but it is a postage stamp where the hordes come to sun. There is literally no place to place a blanket or chair on the weekend we were there. The beach is a public beach. The cliff walk is nice if you are up to it. It was the highlight of our stay and the staff at the desk advised us not to take it.......

The Inn is not worth the price. The food is good but over priced and there is not a semblance of privacy in the room we occupied. The staff was unresponsive, uninformed, and could care less what you think once the credit card clears. A clerk told me I was responsible for the room if it could not be sold. I would have paid for the additional night and left rather than spend one more second in the presence of these cretans. We expressed our displeasure with the room and the staff responded by telling us we were responsible for the second nights stay even though we were not going to be there. Finally a note was left on our door they had sold the room to some other sucker and we were off the hook.

Our bottom line is stay someplace a little less intimate and a little more private if you want to enjoy your stay in Maine. You can do so much better than this particular Inn for the money.

We don't really care what it costs, but, my god, we felt ripped off.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Cape Neddick
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach

Been to York Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!