“An excellent final night in the US” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
York Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in York Harbor
Leek, United Kingdom
“An excellent final night in the US”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We'd had two excellent weeks in the US and wanted a memorable final evening before heading back to Boston for our flight back to the UK - and this hotel and location gave it to us! We just happened to come across this Inn as we investigated the motels we'd found in the New England accommodation mag. We had a lovely room in the Yorkshire House and enjoyed a lovely meal in the dining room. Being able to walk to the beach and round the harbor was a definite plus and much better than being on the main road or near the Kittery outlets. There was ample parking and the breakfast was good. The rate we were charged was fine and compared reasonably with other accommodation. We had not problems with wifi and the connection was good enough to use SKYPE. Only two slight suggestions for improvement. When I asked about availability of food it would have been good to have been told that it was necessary to book a table in the restaurant. If we hadn't been willing to sit at the bar in the dining room to eat we would have had to wait at least 45 minutes for a table in the DR or pub. Whilst having coffee and tea and fruit available 24/7 in reception was nice it would have been good to have some facilities in the room - I had to get dressed to get the tea for our morning cup of tea in bed. If you are looking for a large chain type hotel which could be anywhere then this place is not for you. If you are looking for a family run Inn with character and friendly, helpful staff who are not all just out of college, then this place could be for you. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask to see indiviual rooms being offered to make sure you are getting what you want. The rooms vary...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Warwick, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were looking for a nice summer weekend get away and surprisingly found it in York, ME. Once we saw the beautiful area photos and checked the local places to stay, we chose the York Harbor Inn. Before doing so, I read several reviews and found one common review listed... small rooms. The inn is from the late 1800's and still has that arichitectual charm. If you know this going into it, you will not be disappointed. In addition, I was able to find a great online special rate. The staff was tremendous. The cookies were ridiculous. Really. They had warm cookies upon check-in! The Ship's Cellar Pub was fun before dinner with free apps from 4-6, including one of the best meatloafs (yes meatloaf!) I have ever had and was still fun to end the night with live music and a night cap. Overall, York and its surrounding area lends itself to a relaxing weekend. We will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jejri418
Paul G, Guest Relations Manager at York Harbor Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent visit to the York Harbor Inn and for sharing your experience with us! It is such a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your kind words about our hospitality, our Ship’s Cellar Pub and the special touches that help create a relaxing getaway.

We noted your comments about the size of our guestroom that you experienced and your reference to similar comments from other guests who have stayed with us before.

We thank you for your kind words and would like to take this opportunity relay that do offer a variety of guest rooms with varying sizes, attributes and amenities to accommodate many different guest’s desires.

15 of our 62 guest rooms are modestly sized and designated as our historic Country Inn Rooms and are priced accordingly. We also have many larger accommodations in our Yorkshire and Luxury Guest Rooms. Many of these rooms offer desirable amenities including ocean views, ocean view decks, heated tile floors, Jacuzzi Spa Tubs and fireplaces. We urge you and other guests to inquire about these rooms and to view them on our website photo gallery. We look forward to your next visit to the York Harbor Inn!
Canton, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband recently took me for a little get-away to York Harbor as a birthday present and after researching the area, he decided to stay at this Inn. It is in a very picturesque area right across from the beach and the landscaping is very pretty. When we arrived, the staff was extremely nice and they offered us an upgraded room with an ocean view. The room was quite small but it had a decent sized bathroom. However, the bed was very hard and small so it was difficult to sleep. I must say the staff was always very pleasant but the quality of the room was poor for the amount of money that it cost.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our particular room was a second floor "Yorkshire" room. The room was a decent size with a queen bed, but only 1 chair. It did have a large bathroom, but most of it was an empty area containing another chair. Without this section, the bathroom was average to smaller, with a small sink and countertop area. Our room did have a jacuzzi tub/shower. If someone in your party is over 6 feet tall, they will have a hard time in the tub/shower. The water pressure is only OK, but the shower head is a bit low for washing/rinsing your upper body and head. Also, because of the tubs slant the shower head doesn't protrude out far enough. So, even for me at 5'9", I found it a bit hard to rinse my face and hair.
Next, we had a queen bed that was extremely uncomfortable. My wife had to sleep on the edge of the bed because I was "stuck" in the pit, unable to move. I would continually end up back in this soft spot, regardless of how, or where, I tried to sleep. I did not sleep much at all because of this. Note, my wife is 115 lbs and I am 173 lbs, so the mattress problem is not due to our size. Lastly, if you want WI-FI, DO NOT book room #36. The free wi-fi continually connected/disconnected. I was unable to get online at all from the room, and had to use my 3G cell phone to research things to do. When I called, the front desk told me that "Comcast had a server outage in the Chicago area that has effected the entire east coast." Chicago, really, that's what they said. Sorry, but I am not that dumb. As soon as I stepped outside of my building I was able to connect with the York Harbor Inn's
wi-fi.
I have some medical problems, one being a moderate back injury and need at least a DECENT mattress to sleep on. For this reason I only booked 1 night here, and I am glad that was all. We left the next morning so I didn't complain to the staff.
Overall, I must say that the room, and the buildings and grounds, were clean and nicely kept. The staff were nice enough, if I can just forget about the "Chicago wi-fi" thing (but I just can't). I keep try reminding myself that these are very old buildings, but I guess my wife and I are not "INN" people, especially for the special internet price of $219

Room Tip: Outside of trying a room first for mattress comfort, and wi-fi if you need it, I can't offer any...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank richg635
YHIGM, Owner at York Harbor Inn, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Thank you for sharing your observations with us. We hope you will take the time to read our comments that follow.

As a large Country Inn with numerous adjacent buildings that range from historic to new, we have the opportunity to offer different levels of accommodations. Our offerings range from modest and cozy Country Inn guest rooms, to our mid-level Yorkshire guest rooms which offer a varying degree of amenities, to our Luxury guest rooms which are our largest and have King Beds, Fireplaces, Jacuzzi Tubs, heated tile floors and water views or water view decks. All three levels of guest rooms are priced accordingly.
In light of the comments posted about this particular room, we inspected the room in detail and we would like to share our observations.

The mattress in this room is new and had been installed within the last six months. It was part of a larger capital improvement plan to upgrade all of the mattresses throughout the entire inn. We have selected one of the top mattresses utilized in the industry- The Serta “Presidential” Pillow Top mattress. They have been very well received by our guests. This being said, we understand that mattress comfort can be subjective. Some individuals prefer a more firm mattress, while others may enjoy the soft comfort that this particular style offers. We are sorry that this particular style was not appreciated by our guest.

Regarding the shower height question, in this particular bathroom the height of the shower head measures 6’2” above the floor of the tub. While this may not match every person’s height, we do believe the design and comfort level of this Jacuzzi and shower combination is up to industry standards and is very workable for all of our guests.

At the York Harbor Inn we are very happy to offer complimentary wireless internet access to our guests, unlike many of our competitors and the large corporate chain hotels who often charge for this service. On rare occasions we may experience an interruption in service, either from an internal hardware breakdown, a disruption from our wireless vendor’s equipment, or a disruption form our internet service provider- as most everyone who utilizes the internet has experienced. We make every effort to rectify any disruption in service immediately. In researching this particular incident, we found that there was a short verified ISP interruption around the time in question. We were told by our ISP that an issue originating in Chicago that had caused internet difficulty throughout the East Coast. This is the information we were provided and thus passed it on to our guests at the time. We also found that one or our pieces of equipment had to be reset, This may or may not have been caused by the short outage in service. We are sorry that this outage occurred and hope our guest understands the situation was not in our control.

We are determined to exceed the expectations of our guests and we appreciate all comments, both positive and areas in which we can improve. We are grateful for both. We hope this report sheds some light on this review.

Thank you.
Garry Dominguez
Innkeeper
York Harbor Inn
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked this for a two night stopover but were so impressed by our first impressions that we quickly decided to stay for five nights and use the hotel as our base in Maine and New Hampshire.
The hotel is beautifully situated next to the beach and a public garden and consists of a number of adjoining white clap board houses. The bedroom was was tastefully appointed and the sun deck had a direct view onto the beach.
Although there were no drink facilities in the bedroom free coffee and bottled water was available at the reception desk.
The room itself was immaculately clean and spacious.
Continental breakfast was served in the main dining room with lunch and dinners available in the same place or in the pub on the lower ground floor.
Service was attentive without being intrusive and portions, by European standards were gargantuan so I would recommend caution in ordering to any fellow brits. Three courses would probably finish you off for the day. Fortunately split orders or starters were available as 'stand alone' meals without any problems.
I would recommend this hotel without any hesitation whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Evitts
Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed at the York Harbor Inn for two nights as part of a relatively large wedding group. The staff there was very accommodating, getting us water and ice from the bar (no ice machines) and there are cookies at the front desk at check in.

We saw a few rooms since we were with a group. The rooms in the main Inn were all pretty tiny, but that was expected in an old building. They were very clean though, which is more important. The bed was too soft for my husband and I to get a great night's sleep, but others may like that. Not too many frills, but a quaint inn and a nice stay!

Bristol, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My mom and I shared a room at the York Harbor Inn for one night because we wanted to start our Maine vacation a day early. We stayed in the newest property, the Chapman Cottage, which was wonderful. We had a small room on the third floor but it had a HUGE deck which was such a plus!! We had a delicious dinner with great sevice at the Cellar Pub in the Inn's main building which was an easy walk, and the breakfast served in our building in the morning was fantastic - be sure to try the coffee cake and the chef's honey! Loved the whole experience and will definitely go back.

Room Tip: In the Chapman Cottage you can get a 2nd floor room which is larger with a fireplace and jacuzzi tub...
Also consider these accommodations in or near York Harbor
Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa
King's Port Inn
King's Port Inn
#3 of 7 in Kennebunk

Been to York Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!