“Wonderful B&B”

Inn at Tanglewood Hall
Ranked #1 of 5 York Harbor B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 27, 2014

This was our first visit to Maine and we decided on this B&B based on the reviews in Trip Advisor. Everything about our stay was great. We selected the least expensive room and it was very comfortable, beautifully decorated, and a good use of space. The location of the inn is perfect-easy walking distance to the shore (cliff walk, fisherman's walk) and good restaurants. It is a short drive to Kittery lighthouse and Olgonguid. Su and Andy are great hosts. In addition to providing delicious breakfasts, they were very helpful in taking our interests and time into account by giving us detailed itineraries and suggestions for our stay. I've already recommended the B&B to family members. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Evan F
There are newer reviews for Inn at Tanglewood Hall

Reviewed July 23, 2014

On our first encounter with Su I had been told she would hold our room with a credit card and then accept our BedandBreakfast gift certificate when we arrived in June. I soon received an email confirmation from Su saying "See you in September! There was an attachment to the email but I was unable to call it up on my iPhone and since we were traveling I had no access to a computer to know about this. I called to see what the problem was and she said she made a mistake, it was all good but when we arrived Su said they would not accept the BedandBreakfast gift card. We then had to use our credit card. Andy and Su were pleasant but not sincere, we were treated like guests in an assembly line with oft rehearsed lines. Andy hurriedly circled a directions map for restaurants, waving off most other requests for information. When we asked where the cliff walk was (quite a distance from the inn and the inn has NO VIEW of the water) Andy told us it was all there in the directions he gave us. Now I grew up running a resort, and I know that is no way to treat people, and it is not the norm in most B&Bs we had stayed in. If you can't take the time to answer questions personably, go over details, and feel you must hand out routine maps and information, then you shouldn't be in this business! My husband and I found our way to the cliff walk, although others were more confused.
The downstairs of the inn had sitting rooms but we were never invited to use them so when we asked if we might watch a little of the soccer match on a TV we found in a side "public" room, we were told we could watch it on the TV in our room (which was very small). Normally we are not interested in a TV in a B&B unless we were invited to watch movies, as we have been in many places, but this was a special sporting event that we wanted to watch. We were not made comfortable in this part of the inn. There was NO "of course you may but you may also..." or "please make yourself comfortable here". Any conversation felt forced.
Later in our room, I was further troubled by the fact that one of the two glasses by our in-room sink was sticky. Normally I would have searched for the hosts but it was late and, well, I just didn't feel like I would be treated well. In the morning I saw numerous dust bunnies, spider webs and dirt, this room would not have passed my mother's white glove test! I will say the bed was comfortable but the room was a bit noisy since their inn is right on a main road.
Another fly in the ointment: I was awakened by their dog scratching on our room door! First I was alarmed and wondered what that noise was and when I opened the door to find the little dog, I had to shoo him out of our room. When mentioning it in a passing comment at breakfast I got no apology or comment.
Breakfast was ample and what you would expect at a bed and breakfast, although the lack of sincere welcome was definitely felt. Since it was nice out, I will say, Su did put our breakfast choices on a tray to bring out on the porch instead of eating inside.
I think the best part of staying there was the company we met sharing a breakfast table on the porch.
I am usually pretty generous, but accurate, in my reviews and find myself uncomfortable with my reaction to this place but it is unfortunately all to accurate. Although the inn was tastefully furnished, and breakfast was good, due to the lack of warmth and poor guest relations, dirty room, we won't be returning to this "B&B" anytime soon.

Room Tip: The Garden Canopy room's window does face the road so is not that quiet, even though the A/C was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
sakkl, Owner at Inn at Tanglewood Hall, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Andy and I sincerely strive to make all of our guests feel welcome from the moment they arrive until they depart. We are surprised that Kelleygirl2 felt it necessary to write this review based upon her own misunderstanding. We understand that it is possible to become confused when one is hopping from one night to another at different B&Bs, but there was never a discussion regarding using a gift card here; she would have been told immediately that we do not take them. We have not accepted gift cards from BedandBreakfast.com since 2008. When she continued to insist at check-in that this was not true, her husband pulled her aside to say, "I think that's for the next place where we are staying." Her review of that inn north of here indeed mentions using the BB.com card there.

We recognize that Kelleygirl2 is well-traveled and are sad that she allowed her gift card mistake to color her experience here, when she could have enjoyed herself so much more as others do. 'Tis good to hear that she thought us pleasant, the bed comfortable, breakfasts good and ample, and that the inn is tastefully furnished. The other guests she mentioned talking with at breakfast wrote the review below titled "Getaway" about their three day experience with us. Our wonderful TA reviews and thousands of comments posted by our guests on our website are a true testament to who we are and what we do.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

Exhausted from a long drive when we arrived, we were greeted by our welcoming hosts.
Andy insisted on carrying our heavy bags up the stairs for us. We had quite a large suite
on the upper floor.. I'd recommend this room if you're someone who likes to have plenty room
to spread out, if you don't mind stairs. Also, the cliff walk is withing walking distance, and
you really should take it. The more commercial area around the lighthouse is far enough
away not to be bothersome, but close enough to drive to quickly. The lighthouse is worth
visiting. Breakfast, prepared by our hosts, was quite good. I would not recommend
adding on the supper. This is a meal at a restaurant far from the inn. Although the restaurant is
nice, if you're tired of driving when you arrive, you really don't want to have to set out on this
journey.

Room Tip: If stairs not a problem, get the rooms at the top.
Reviewed July 17, 2014

As our first experience at a Bed and Breakfast, I can say that Su and Andy made it a great one. They greeted us by name when we arrived and made us feel right at home. Everything was perfect from the beautiful home and decor, the great breakfast, the lovely porch and grounds to the travel advice they prepared for us. We stayed here at the end of a week traveling New England and it was just what we needed to relax a bit before returning home. If I lived closer I would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Having never been to Maine, we were looking for the entire New England experience. This Inn proved to be a perfect part of that experience.

We stayed in the Garden Canopy Room, which was beautifully decorated with a wonderfully comfortable queen-sizes bed. From the overall decor to the excellent breakfasts to the stunning grounds to the perfect activity and dining suggestions...we just couldn't have been more pleased and really can't say enough about the place to really do it justice.

We would definitely return and look forward to making this an annual part of our summer vacation.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Andy and Su were wonderful hosts. I found this to be a very positive experience. This was our first time at a B&B and it was great. The combination of old and new décor was very tasteful and relaxing. My husband and I enjoyed the flavorful breakfasts that were unique and delicious. All the flowers were in bloom and the "fairy lights" lit up the garden so pretty. It was our pleasure to meet other couples and exchange their travels. We highly recommend this beautiful house as your next stay in York Harbor, Maine.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "Billiard Room" on the first floor and I really liked it. But all the oth...
1  Thank nutty61
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

This was our third stay with Andy and Su, which speaks for itself. We have stayed in 3 different rooms, all very nice: Captain's Quarters, Library, and this year 3 nights in the York Harbor Suite, the best yet! Since our last visit they've added magical outdoor lighting. Terrific breakfasts, warm hospitality and luxurious accommodations in a wonderful location!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Inn at Tanglewood Hall? Share your experiences!