“Great B&B experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 5 York Harbor B&B and Inns
N Dartmouth MA
“Great B&B experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

We stayed at this B&B for two nights in October. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and we were looking for something special.
We checked in at 3pm. You cannot enter this Inn unless you are staying there. We rang the bell and both Andy and Su came to greet us. They wished us "happy anniversary" as I mentioned that when I booked this place in August. It was a nice touch that they remembered.
They showed us around and to our room. We booked the Billiard Room. It was beautiful, so warm and cozy. The bed was really comfortable and there was a little gas fireplace. It was a nice touch. They left us some candy and a jar of Maine blueberry jam with a hand written note "happy anniversary" It also had a mini fridge.
The room and the whole inn was really clean. The only thing we didn't like was that there were no individual tv's in the rooms. I guess that would spoil the whole premise of the B&B. To socialize and meet new people. It wasn't a big deal. The only time I would have liked it was late at night and very early in the morning.
The Inn itself is so well decorated. The breakfast area table was set beautifully and you had your choice of coffee, teas, hot chocolate & cookies and you could help yourself throughout the day. They made a homemade hot item every morning plus we had homemade muffins, granola and some fruits plus bagels, toast and english muffins. Su and Andy really took the time to make sure that you were comfortable and that you had everything you needed to make your stay enjoyable. They were really helpful with directions on a rainy day. We filled our day with all their suggestions.
The Inn was always well lit. You were given two keys upon check in. One for your room and one for the massive front door. The porch was lit with white lights. Every room had many lights on and a lot of flameless candles. One night after a rainy day the fire was going. Just a warm and cozy feel. I enjoyed meeting the other guests. It was a really great B&B experience. Our first.
I would definitely stay here again without hesitation

• Liked — Warm and Cozy feel. Close to town.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank msar1076

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

This was my first time staying at a B&B. A family wedding brought me to Maine and since I rarely take a break from the NYC life I lead, I decided to make a few day trip out of it!

I didn't want the usual hotel-chain experience yet again, so I searched and searched for a Bed and Breakfast.
I am pretty Type A when it comes to research and finding exactly what I want. When I came across this Inn I realized it was a perfect match.

My experience was absolutely fulfilled. Where to begin...

The location is superb. You honestly couldn't even question this, situated perfectly close to the Atlantic, plenty of places to walk/bike, enjoy food, get to a major road, get to the beach...
ample parking, all very safe and secure.

The house is beautiful (see my photos). Pure class and "at home" feel. I never felt unwelcomed there, and the amount of trust given to each guest makes me feel even better...to be welcomed into a home that is so nicely appointed, and CLEAN...just a very good vibe.

My room was fantastic. It was just me coming up to spend some time and enjoy "peace and quiet." The bathroom was spotless and had everything one would need: towels, mat to put down for floor outside of shower, wash cloth, beautiful soaps and shampoo. The soap is Hypo-allergenic and smells divine. Hair dryer, fold out luggage holders, hangers, you name it.

The bed was SOOOO comfy and was adourned with more pillows and blankets than I could ever ask for! Slipping in after a long day was literally heaven. The room was filled with beautiful antiques and had glorious views of the yard and neighborhood.
The shower was always a steady pressure and temperature never fluctuated, despite having several guests staying in the B&B when I was there.

The food was outstanding. Being an NYC-man, good food is a must! The coffee was bold and tasteful, all the home-made food was outstanding. I was reading the comment about discouraging seconds, absolutely untrue. They even have extra plates and mugs RIGHT THERE to take if you wanted...and there was always plenty of food. If any of the food was finished off, a brand new plate of fresh food would take its place. Outstanding.
There was always a fine assortment of coffee and teas as well to use at any hour; the Krups water-boiler was very nice indeed!

For the few days I stayed I enjoyed the company of the MANY guests that I met, as I had stayed part weekend/part weekday so I had the weekend crowd and then the weekday crowd, very cool.
One night I enjoyed staying by the fire and reading some business material I brought while sipping tea. The other night I came in really late (midnight) and was amazed how "at home" I felt. The rest of the house was asleep and I came into a cozy, warm, and well-lit Victorian house. Made my way up the stairs to my room and fell asleep like I was staying at a relative or close friend's house. You can't BUY that kind of peace. :)

The last night I decided to just "veg" after a long day and long weekend of busy driving to see everything, many strolls on the beach and in the water, and walking around the beautiful neighborhood. Cleaned out my car a bit from all my days of traveling, then went to my room, showered, and then relaxed in the cozy TV room. Watched some CNN debate to try and get back to reality of my amazing stay, and then left the next morning after breakfast.

Su and Andy are absolutely wonderful people. From the first emails I felt very comfortable with them. They all ready know I will be coming back.....deciding if I should spoil one of my friend's and bring them along for the ride ;)

This being my first B&B I can honestly say I don't know why I would want anything else for my travels! Thanks again Su and Andy!! Until we meet again!

Cheers and continue the amazing work at Tanglewood!!! :) :) :)

A+++

• Liked — Everything I hoped for was fulfilled!
  • Disliked — Can't think of everything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank stevens_nyc
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

We have stayed in many bed and breakfast inns over the years. My wife and I were disappointed about this bed and breakfast. First, as soon as you are greeted by the owners, a request is made to hand over your credit card to satisfy the balance. We found this rather astonishing as most inns do not request payment until the completion of the stay. Second, the breakfast was rather limited. There is one entree and a very small amount of fruit on the buffet. The owners are quite anxious to remove your breakfast dishes leading us to conclude that seconds were not encouraged. Third, there are few amenities in the bathroom(only small bars of soap and one small bottle of shampoo). Fourth, the owners were continually mentioning to guests about how many days they had worked without time off. The owners are knowledgable about the area and the home is well maintained. The rates charged greatly exceed the value received.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank neptune675
sakkl, Innkeepers/Owners at Inn at Tanglewood Hall, responded to this review, September 7, 2008
It is our fondest wish that every guest who passes through our doors leaves satisfied; and we regret to have learned that this couple did not enjoy their personal experience, but must say that we were surprised and perplexed upon reading this review. First of all, an unfortunate misunderstanding appears to have occurred at the very beginning of their visit. To insure an easy express check-out, we do politely ask for payment after our initial welcome and clearly inform our guests ahead of time that this will occur. This is the same practice found in similar small all-inclusive area B&Bs with no formal front desk in their home, and no other extra charges during the stay (wi-fi, phone calls, assorted beverages, snacks, housekeeping, etc). Their room was reserved for $165 a night during peak season, using our online reservation system that requires all guests to check a box stating: "Guest has read and agrees to the Policies" which specifically includes this statement: "The balance is due upon Arrival at Check-In". In addition, all of our guests are promptly sent an official Confirmation Letter to review, reiterating when the balance is due; and our payment procedures are outlined on our website Policy page.

Second, we always serve a different entrée every day rotated on a weekly basis between such oft requested recipe favorites as our Blueberry-Raspberry Stuffed French Toast, Egg and Cheese Puff with Roasted Red Peppers & Artichokes, Caramel Apple Kuchen Pancake, Mediterranean Crustless Quiche, etc., etc. In addition, our family-style breakfast offers ENDLESS refills of: fresh-cut fruit, yogurt, our signature homemade granola, blueberry crisp cereal, breads, muffins, and bagels, jams, juices, coffee, hot chocolate & gourmet teas. We do cook to order if someone notifies us of special dietary requests. And we do clear our guests’ dirty dishes out of the way according to usual service standards, but there are always plenty of fresh plates, bowls, and mugs available in the dining room. There are hundreds of delighted guest quotes from all over the country and world posted on our website regarding our breakfasts.

Third, we provide a choice of several different naturally scented hypoallergenic glycerine soaps along with high-end Lemon-Almond Conditioning Shampoo (both 1.5 ounce traditional hospitality size) custom-made by a well-known California company; in addition to our hand-ironed 500 thread count sheets, designer bedding, luxury down blankets, Eurofeather pillows, Egyptian cotton towels, etc. found in our rooms.

Fourth, with a house full of ever-changing guests there is no doubt that we did indeed mention multiple times that we had not had a day off in several months, as we often candidly share our amazement at our record breaking occupancy rates this summer season, despite the economy. Like every other successful innkeeper, we feel blessed and grateful to NOT have days off until our busy season ends. During their particular four-day visit, we had many conversations at the breakfast table, on the veranda, and in the parlor with three sets of repeat guests (one from England who had spent 10 days with us last year) concerning our lives and the business; with another couple also here for four days who intend to open a B&B, discussing pros and cons; and with the usual guests who are inevitably just plain curious to know if the B&B dream is as glorious as it may seem. And we repeat over and over again, that we did not leave our corporate lives to make less money, scrub toilets, and make beds, but to connect in a purposeful manner with the wonderful folks we meet every day; putting our hearts and souls into being ever conscious of details that will enrich their experience in our 1880s estate home and seaside community; oft overwhelmed by their kind and generous appreciation.

~Su & Andy, Innkeepers/Owners
Bridgewater, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2008

This was our first time at a B&B, and we are hooked! The Inn is in a private garden setting and has a lovely covered porch. The Garden Canopy Room was fantastic and comfortable. Sue and Andy were wonderful hosts and gave us suggestions for fun things to do each day (including maps to find our way around!) The food was amazing, and their attention to detail is impressive. I would recommend it to anyone for a quiet, relaxing vacation. We plan to go back ourselves!

• Liked — The Inn was beautifully decorated and the atmosphere was relaxing
  • Disliked — Leaving...
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

Andy and Su are the most gracious hosts! The beds were extremely comfortable. The food was great. The location is perfect, a short walk to the beautiful cliff walk that leads to the beach. What more can you ask of a B&B? They even went the extra mile and and made sure we had breakfast before we left to catch our early flight home. Highly recommended!!

• Liked — Comfortable Beds, Beautiful Front Porch
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Hartford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

We reserved our room over the internet. It is a very well conceived site, with accurate descriptions of the rooms, prices and availability. The B&B looked every bit as beautiful as the pictures upon arrival. It is located in the one of the nicest parts of York, within walking distance to several beaches and scenic trails (which we quickly took advantage of). If you are looking for a "headquarters" to stay at while exploring southern Maine or the North Shore area of MA, Andy and Sue are hard to beat.

Thanks for the great getaway,
Kevin & Donna

Stayed July 2008
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

Stay at the Inn at Tanglewood if you are staying in the York Harbor area in Maine. We were delighted when we stayed there in June '08. The rooms are much better than the website pictures. Andy & Su are so helpful & welcoming. We would highly recommend this B&B. There is lots to do in the area. Unfortunately, we were only there for 2 nights but could have stayed much longer. We drove to Kennebunkport and were lucky enough to see George Bush Senior and Barbara in their summer residence. Amazing! I wish Andy and Su all the very best for the future running their beautiful B&B. Tess & Mick, Leeds, UK

• Liked — Historic house and the welcome.
  • Disliked — nothing
Anchorage Inn
Anchorage Inn
#3 of 9 in York Beach
Lighthouse Inn and Carriage House

Been to Inn at Tanglewood Hall? Share your experiences!